Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest | Wed 21 August | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited August 2019 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest
Wednesday 21 August | Kick-Off: 19:45pm
Referee: Oli Langford (West Midlands)

Introduction
So we are back at The Valley for our first midweek fixture in the league this season. How many of us predicted we would be sitting in the automatic promotion places going into our 4th league game? After another good, battling display on Saturday at Barnsley's home, Oakwell, we lost our 100% start but continue to be undefeated. To come from a goal down on two occasions to draw at a fellow promotion winner from last season, a team who haven’t lost at home in over 17 months, has to be considered as a positive result. However, now we face the second oldest professional football league club in the country, and one who are now in their 12th consecutive season in the Championship, Nottingham Forest. Live on Sky Sports Action.

Opposition
Manager: Sabri Lamouchi (49% win rate)
Stadium: City Ground
Nickname(s): Forest
Fun facts:
Garibaldi, an Italian freedom fighter, played an indirect crucial role in the early years of Nottingham Forest. After the founding members bought 12 tasselled caps in ‘Garibaldi Red’, it was established as the club’s colours.

- Forest are one of only two clubs to have won the European Cup/Champions League who are not currently in their countries top domestic league - the other is Hamburger SV.

A positive start to the season has seen Forest comfortably win on Saturday at the City Ground against Birmingham City, 3-0, as well as picking up a valuable point against league leaders and promotion favourites, Leeds United - the only game they have played away from home so far this season. Forest would start the season against another promotion favourite, West Brom, and narrowly lost the game 2-1 after taking an early lead. To add to their start, they also won in the Carabao Cup a week ago against Fleetwood Town. A game where Forest made 9 changes and still came away with a win. It shows they have strength in depth amongst their ranks and a team we really can’t afford to take lightly.

Forest often play a 4-1-4-1 formation, with their previous line up being: Muric; Cash, Dawson, Worrall, Robinson; Watson; Lolley, Sow, Semedo, Ameobi; Grabban

It’s unlikely that after a 3-0 win Lamouchi will change the team. Therefore, focusing on their danger men are the two wide midfielders and Grabban up front. Lolley is arguably one of the best players in the division when he is on his game, a left footed midfielder who likes to cut in and cause havoc. Lolley scored the opener for Forest on Saturday and he is someone Purrington must keep a close eye on. Sammy Ameobi is a tricky winger with pace and plenty of skill. Whoever is at right back, likely to be Oshilaja, again will have to be careful. With the absence of Solly, we are going to have to protect our full backs whenever we can. One of their key strengths is getting the ball out wide and crossing; they have created so many chances doing this recently that they could’ve have scored enough goals to win 5 games. Up front, Lewis Grabban is a prolific scorer in the Championship, with 38 goals in his last 74 league appearances, which already includes 2 so far this season. Lockyer and Pearce are going to need to be on their game, otherwise they could have their work cut out. One other area which Forest seem to be very strong in is set-pieces. This is something that I am sure Jackson has carefully analysed and has ways of coping with them, as well as ways in which we could hurt them with our own. I actually have a feeling this game is going to be settled on a set-piece.

Some key areas of weakness for Forest is that they’re extremely slow in turnover of possession. They struggle to win the ball back quickly, something that I must say has improved for us greatly under Bowyer.  Forest also struggle in transition, not only do they find it difficult to win the ball back quickly at times, but in fact getting back into their defensive shape. They have been noticeably wide open at times at the back and getting in behind the defence is a tactic that could work well, especially on the counter attack. Someone like Leko could have a field day if we play it right.

Charlton Team News
With Solly’s absence due to concussion and the head injury protocol, we know there will be at least one change to the team that started against Barnsley. Oshilaja is expected to come in for the right back who reached the fantastic milestone of 300 appearances for the club on Saturday. With Page and Kayal still out, and Bowyer saying we are going to be patient with new signing Erhun Oztumer, the squad almost picks itself.

Possible further changes could in fact see Aneke come in for Leko after the his impressive cameo off the bench on Saturday. Whilst Sam Field will be looking to be involved in the squad again. However, I think Bowyer is fairly happy with how the team is performing at the moment and could well keep the same players in order to keep momentum. I expect us to start with wingers in almost the old inside forward positions, but to help out our full backs too. Later switching to a diamond midfield where we can, at times, look far more threatening.

Subs: Amos, Sarr, Field, Forster-Caskey, Lapslie, Aneke, Bonne

Prediction
A very tough game against a side who are just beginning to find a bit of confidence and form. Not to mention, this is the Sky Sports pick for the main featured midweek game in the Championship. However, Forest averaged only 17% of all of their successful passes in the attacking third in comparison to 44% of our successful passes have been in the attacking third. Therefore, with our phenomenal home record in the league and our ability to get the ball closer to the opponents goal more often and effectively, I think it’ll continue for a little longer yet.

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Nottingham Forest
Leko
Taylor

Wednesday is also my birthday!

Comments

• Options
    Forest’s first win if the adds on came at home on Saturday in a local derby when form goes out the window for both teams. Raising your game for a derby match could backfire spectacularly in the next match if you don’t approach it with the same commitment of the other side doesn’t capitulate easily. Let’s hope that’s the case for Forest on Wednesday 
  • Options
    Great Preview again Sage... Happy Birthday for Wednesday too, be great for you personally if we can get the result to cap off what I hope will be a good day.

Not sure what I make of Forest myself - They're a bit of a weaker Derby (their fans wont like that comparison) - They do always seem strong before the season starts yet when the action starts flatter to decieve... Could see it being our hardest game yet but found it interesting from the Quest highlights when it was mentioned that they were happy to sit back and hit Birmingham on the counter, certainly dont see that happening with us as we play in the exact same fashion!!

Alfa Semedo will certainly one to watch what with him on loan from Benfica yet would definitely agree about Joe Lolley and Lewis Graham; the latter is getting on a bit but could be a challenge for our defence as would say he's the first striker with real pace that could hurt us

Reckon we'll steel a 1-0 win
  • Options
    could of made the Tuesday but not the Wednesday, 

the sky coverage how does it work is it on main channel?

would take another draw if offered, keep the unbeaten run going. 
  • Options
    Forest looked good V Brum...could of easily won 5/6-0.  Maybe it was because Brum were shit but judging by the highlights I think we are in for a very tough game...2-2.
  • Options
    Sage, your proposed bench is a bit short of defensive cover, so I reckon Wiredu might get the nod over field.
  • Options
    could of made the Tuesday but not the Wednesday, 

the sky coverage how does it work is it on main channel?

would take another draw if offered, keep the unbeaten run going. 
    Looks like Preston v Stoke will be on Sky Sports Football so the main channel

I'm guessing Sky Sports Action is a secondary channel that SKY have without having to use the red button

Never heard of it before to be honest
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Forest looked good V Brum...could of easily won 5/6-0.  Maybe it was because Brum were shit but judging by the highlights I think we are in for a very tough game...2-2.
    To be fair; Birmingham looked awful against Brentford too yet managed to win that  with a single effort on goal

At the moment they're one team who do look like they'll struggle as the season progresses
  • Options
    Forest’s first win if the adds on came at home on Saturday in a local derby when form goes out the window for both teams. Raising your game for a derby match could backfire spectacularly in the next match if you don’t approach it with the same commitment of the other side doesn’t capitulate easily. Let’s hope that’s the case for Forest on Wednesday 
    Where on earth do you think Forest are in the country? - Birmingham isnt a local derby for them :)
  • Options
    Vaguely remember in 1998 we were top after two games and went to Forest midweek.

Our bubble was well and truly burst by a four nil defeat.

It was down hill from there and we were relegated.

So on that and Forest's ability to score goals our first defeat in the league this season beckons.

0 - 2

'Bring back Sarr, drop Pratley" posted before the team leave the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Be happy with a draw tbh.
    That would give us 8 points from 4 games and I think we would of all been happy with that before the season started. 
    1.1 Draw Aneke with the goal.
  • Options
    Anyone know if Sky Sports Action is on Sky Go? 
  • Options
    No disrespect to any of our defenders but said before the two goals conceded against Barnsley that we has honest whole hearted defenders but we do lack class at the back and  will be exposed against the Championship strikers.

Stoke missed 3 glorious chances and we scored with ours last time out at the valley.

An optimistic 1-1, but it will continue to be tough at this higher level.
  • Options
    Sage, your proposed bench is a bit short of defensive cover, so I reckon Wiredu might get the nod over field.
    Personally would be surprised to see Wiredu come in, but you may be right. I am half expecting Tyrone Mears to be given a short term deal, especially now Solly is out for what is likely to be the remainder of August, and will instead come into the squad on Wednesday. 
  • Options
    good preview @Sage especially on the oppositions strengths and weaknesses. i knew about their strengths just from watching their chances and goals in their game against Birmingham. look very dangerous in the air and the two wingers like to loop the ball in so our centre backs are going to have to be very strong and smart on their positioning. tprobably have to double up on those wingers and pratley to help out in centre defence.

whats interesting is what i didn't know about them which is their weaknesses that you have described. could call for a counter attacking approach with Williams, Leko and Gallagher adding the pace to cut them open on the break. 

i believe this is the hardest test yes as i think they're the strongest team we've faced to date.
    think there might be a few goals. hoping for a 3-2 win for us. 
  • Options
    Where on earth do you think Forest are in the country? - Birmingham isnt a local derby for them :)
    The midlands. 1 hours drive between grounds and probably drawing fans from catchment areas in between.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm going for a 0-2 win to Forest to bring us back down to earth.
  • Options
    My first game of the season, so we are bound to lose!

0-2
  • Options
    ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The midlands. 1 hours drive between grounds and probably drawing fans from catchment areas in between.
    Not exactly a derby though, 1hr certainly isnt local

Be like saying Charlton v Brighton is a derby
  • Options

How many of Charlton’s derby games in London can be done in less than 1 hour ground to ground ? And what about the ‘Kent derby’ ?. 
  • Options

How many of Charlton’s derby games in London can be done in less than 1 hour ground to ground ? And what about the ‘Kent derby’ ?. 
    well it shouldn't take an hour to get between Dartford and Ebbsfleet unless the crossing jams up local traffic. 
  • Options

Yeah because London is one City

Charlton v Gillingham isnt a derby though else where do you draw the line with the likes of Colchester or Southend?
  • Options
    Was talking to two Leeds Utd fans after Forests 1 - 1 draw at Elland Road a week ago. They said Forest were pretty lucky with that point. Leeds dominated possession and should have run out comfortable winners but missed a host of scoring opportunities. No idea if this assessment is viewed through home supporter goggles or not.

1 - 1
  • Options
    Same prediction as I made for Barnsley.
    Can’t see us losing but in the lap of the gods between a win or a draw.
  • Options
    lets go with the flow,we are unbeaten at home for best part of a year,digging in when it matters,playing great football when we can.We are the divisions top scorers,I assume the covered end will be full again and in full voice,see no reason for pessimism,possibly Forest will have the majority of the play,but I think our speed on the break could be vital and will give us a narrow 2-1 win.
  • Options
    2 - 2 Draw , Taylor and Gallagher continue their goal scoring trends and a Happy Birthday to @Sage for Wednesday.
  • Options
    I will go for a 2-1 Win for the Addicks. All the goals in the second half with a very late winner. Nottingham are a good side, but we carry a bigger threat going forward.
  • Options
    Back to the 70s. 3-3 thriller.