Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scoring on debut

Comments

• Dale Stephens vs Bournemouth.
    BWP vs Plymouth?
  • Phil Chapple home to Birmingham.
  • MrLargo said:
    Dale Stephens vs Bournemouth.
    BWP vs Plymouth?
    BWP was against Colchester, remember being there. We signed him from Plymouth. 
  • Yann
    Had already made his debut as a sub at home when he set up Wagstaff who crossed for BWP to score.
  • Charlie Macdonald? 
  • MrLargo said:
    Christian Dailly of all people against Wycombe
    Think Mark Hudson might have done the same the previous season.
    At home to Swansea?

• edited August 2019
    Darren Bent.

And I think Marcus Bent away at Chelsea as well. 
  • edited August 2019
    A Francis Jeffers brace. I don’t recall which team it was against.
    That was his full debut- he came on as a sub against Bolton the Saturday before (lost 4-1). @DaveMehmet will remember the game well. 
  • Was wondering if Burstow is the first Charlton player to score for us with his first ever touch?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Yann, but i can't remember that. I guess it's a fairly short list anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Me......although I am not sure if a first visit to The Miller's in Bexley Village counts as a debut.
  • Was wondering if Burstow is the first Charlton player to score for us with his first ever touch?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Yann, but i can't remember that. I guess it's a fairly short list anyway.
    Yann didn’t score on his debut, he scored in each of his two sub appearances after that soon after coming on.
  • Nobody will ever better Burstow’s debut, unless they score two goals with their first touch as a professional footballer.
  • edited September 2021
    Stig said:
    seth plum said:
    Nobody will ever better Burstow’s debut, unless they score two goals with their first touch as a professional footballer.
    Maybe if they scored against Millwall... nah, being silly now.
    That's not beyond the bounds of possibility. If you'd said "scored the winner against Millwall", that's another matter entirely.
  • Didn't BWP? Seem to remember it was an overhead kick as well (might have not been his debut)
  • McBobbin said:
    Didn't BWP? Seem to remember it was an overhead kick as well (might have not been his debut)
    Yes, he started in a 1-0 win scoring the only goal after 78 minutes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_2/9377147.stm
  • Mikhail Kennedy scored very very early on when we played Peterborough in the league cup some years ago (same game as the Kashi goal). I don’t remember him having much involvement before the goal.
  • Francis Jeffers 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    McBobbin said:
    Didn't BWP? Seem to remember it was an overhead kick as well (might have not been his debut)
    Yes, he started in a 1-0 win scoring the only goal after 78 minutes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_2/9377147.stm
    Cheers. I roared heartily at that goal, thought he would be quality (he was)

Edit: had forgotten about the disallowed goal. It was high farce but very funny
  • Wassim last season in the Pizza Cup after 12 minutes
  • Robert Lee
    Jim Melrose
    Mark Stuart

• MrOneLung said:
    Francis Jeffers 
    I think Jeffers also scored on his debut (and only cap) for England too. 
  • se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Francis Jeffers 
    One of Charlton's worst signings.
  • se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Francis Jeffers 
    Yep a 3-1 defeat to Australia. Another striker called Wayne Rooney also made debut that game as did Paul Konchesky 
  • edited September 2021
    Carl Leaburn scored on his FULL debut away at Newcastle in May 87.

His scoring record after that was a little sparse - traditionally (at least in his first 50 games / 4 goals) he only scored at "Parks", and I think I had the t-shirt to confirm it...
  • se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Francis Jeffers 
    Can’t believe it was 2.6 million…..
  • se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Francis Jeffers 
    Amazing.
  • se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Francis Jeffers 
    In the days of all the arm chair physiologist I would love to know what everyone would make of him now. It certainly wasn't a skill issue.