Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Stoke | Sat 10 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    shows up how Taylor had a big hand (not hand ball lol) in the two he didn't score .. his awareness is phenomenal 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Time for me to put a bit of realism into the mix........

Great game & we played well against a top 6 side who have some top players. However, I wouldn't get carried away as we could easily have been 3-1 down at half time & couldn't have complained if we had been. Think we need to clear our lines quicker & soon we will get caught out with all the back passes. Lockyer is most at fault & must had taken lessons from a certain Mr Kashi for all the underhit passes he made.

However, I am being picky. The midfield showed what great players we have, although I'm still a bit unsure of what Gallagher brings to the team & he seemed a bit lost out there at times. Cullen picked up from where he left off at Wembley & Leko confuses defenders as he doesn't know himself what he is going to do next. Williams was my MOTM as he didnt stop running & made the all important 2nd goal with his persistence, having narrowly failed just a minute before with a mazy run & cross.

Scenes in the Covered End after the 3rd goal.....looking from the East it was literally rocking for 5 mins afterwards  !!

Not looking at tables or thinking about ifs & maybes......20th place will do me just fine come May. I predicted 4 points for Aug so we are already in credit.  
    Really do wonder what people see at times. How on earth you can think Gallagher brings nothing to the team.

Not a dig. Just shocked. Thought he worked his socks off 

I'm not saying he didnt work his socks of but more because I'm used to players having a job & a position in a team. However, having read a few more posts on here I agree that the midfield 4 of Cullen, Gallagher, Leko (and to a lesser extent ) Williams were interchanging positions & so were popping up all over the place.

Dont know who is going to get dropped when Kayal & Field are fully fit though.....

• Options
    Really good atmosphere today. Despite a lot of people probably away on hols i thought the fans were good today and i hardly heard any negativity.
    Im gonna give Phillips the benefit of the doubt with the equaliser and say the wind must of played a part in movement of the ball, it was pretty blowy at times.
    After they missed that sitter at the start of the 2nd half i did fear they were starting to get on top and would take the lead but we dug in well and took our chances. Our midfield is looking very strong and the good thing is we will not struggle in that area when we get the inevetable injuries/suspensions. Bowyer likes to give players a chance and its up to them to then stake a place and keep it. Going on todays performance i would not like to have to drop any of that midfield for the next game but u could argue we have 2 others in the squad that on paper could be our strongest. Very nice problem for Bowyer to have. 
    I still worry if Taylor would be out injured for a month or more how we would cope and Solly needs more help still but hopefully we get good news next week regarding that.
    Cullen MOM for me but i would score the whole midfield 8s and Cullen just pipping Williams to a 9.

• Options
    Just out of interest how similar is Gallagher’s style of play to a certain Scotty Parker in his prime? 
    In his prime  ???
    Ok, well, I didn’t really mean that. A young Scott Parker more like.
  • Options
    What a game, what a result. Not to get carried away with myself but Bowyer is truly building something special here. 

I have absolutely no idea where we’re going to finish this season, could be 1st or 20th (yes I know it’s not going to be 1st). 

The only thing I can guarantee right now is that this team will not be anywhere near the relegation battle this season - far too much quality and passion in the dressing room. 

The most exciting thing about today is that we’re only going to get better as the season gets on. Up the addicks!! 
  • Options
    20th would be nearish :)
  • Options
    Loved being back at The Valley for Championship football. We rode our luck at times but we were positive throughout. Teams will underestimate us but Bowyer has the players and the fans believing. Two wins from two is a brilliant start to the season. Let’s keep going and who knows what could happen. 

Lee Bowyer is the chosen one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Bearing in mind the players not in the starting 11 like Aneke, Field and Kayal, we are now looking very strong in the middle of the park, some real quality there

Bowyer mixed things up very well today, we had the silky skills of Williams and Gallagher, the pace and directness of Leko, the classic No 9 in Taylor, the busyness and ball rotation of Cullen and the water carrier in Pratley doing the unsung work.

Slight concerns about the defence, when pressed they looked quite vulnerable as Dillon, Pearce and Lockyer aren't the greatest at that sort of building from the back game. Maybe we need to be slightly more pragmatic rather than building literally from our own penalty box every time.
    100% about the defence. Eventually after a few passes too many we started to go long. Hopefully it's lesson learned and we change things up sooner next time a team presses like Stoke did. 
  • Options
    I’m just glad I’m not Bowyer. Going to be very difficult to decide who goes into our best eleven.
  • Options
    I’m just glad I’m not Bowyer. Going to be very difficult to decide who goes into our best eleven.
    He'll be loving it! Much better than the alternative. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

Great game & we played well against a top 6 side who have some top players. However, I wouldn't get carried away as we could easily have been 3-1 down at half time & couldn't have complained if we had been. Think we need to clear our lines quicker & soon we will get caught out with all the back passes. Lockyer is most at fault & must had taken lessons from a certain Mr Kashi for all the underhit passes he made.

However, I am being picky. The midfield showed what great players we have, although I'm still a bit unsure of what Gallagher brings to the team & he seemed a bit lost out there at times. Cullen picked up from where he left off at Wembley & Leko confuses defenders as he doesn't know himself what he is going to do next. Williams was my MOTM as he didnt stop running & made the all important 2nd goal with his persistence, having narrowly failed just a minute before with a mazy run & cross.

Scenes in the Covered End after the 3rd goal.....looking from the East it was literally rocking for 5 mins afterwards  !!

Not looking at tables or thinking about ifs & maybes......20th place will do me just fine come May. I predicted 4 points for Aug so we are already in credit.  
    "unsure of what Gallagher brings to the team"  I'm sure you're just looking for a reaction now. 
    He was top quality, not sure what anyone expects us to bring in if hes not good enough for our team. 
  • Options
    it's a long season (stating the bleedin obvious) they will all get a right good crack of the whip .. Bowyer has a method and no matter who plays in the middle, we will almost certainly play the same way .. and have success doing it
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Talal said:

"unsure of what Gallagher brings to the team"  I'm sure you're just looking for a reaction now. 
    He was top quality, not sure what anyone expects us to bring in if hes not good enough for our team. 
    This with bells on. Kids 19 and it’s his first senior debut. Ffs hahaha
  • Options
    Well that answered the question about whether our players could cope with a wet afternoon against Stoke...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Has anyone asked Lee Bowyer where he wants his statue built yet?
    He ain’t won nothing yet 😉
    Promotion from League One ??
  • Options
    If that assist from Williams for Aneke's goal was deliberate then it's fairly mindblowing
  • Options
    Enjoyed that. Much been said already, love how Bowyer's team do not give up. 
    Butland really should have done better with Lyle's shot but I'm not complaining. 
    For their equaliser it looked like the wind caught it from where I was sat (lower north in line with the shot). And after they hit the post, Cullen came and robbed their player just as he was getting ready to fire in the rebound. 

All of our players did well today. Special mentions to Jonny Williams, Cullen, Gallagher and Pratley who had another good game of getting stuck in and breaking up play. 

• Options
    Kap10 sai:h
    Callumcafc said:8

The Katrien Miere teams head the Championship  
    You mean the teams which got rid of Katrien Miere head the Championship. Not surprising. A massive boost to morale to see the back of her.

• Options
    Fantastic!!! a little drunk,  WRITTEN IN THE STARS! Loved the support today ....Love you all!
  • Options
    Two games, no clean sheets. Bowyer out. 
  • Options
    Club Brugge her employer in Belgium are top of the league winning 3 out of 3.