Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Stoke | Sat 10 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH THREAD

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Uboat said:
    Plus Chuks:
    you know what. i think williams meant that flick. class
    Totally. Look at the way Williams moves in front of his marker to be first to the ball.

I'd give the assist to Williams.

Williams gets the assist whether he meant it or not.
    If he did mean it he’s a genius.  

He's definitely not trying to score, to me that looks like a deliberate pass to Chuks, especially the way he immediately moves away from goal to not block the shot
    Definitely a fluke, if you look at the goal celebration Williams takes the piss out of his own miss kick !
  • Options
    I love Williams but absolutely no chance did he mean that. Lucky as the first goal was but I don’t give a toss. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    A couple of points, after re watching the brief highlights again. 

For Taylor's goal, I think it was Gallagher that was the only player alive to the fact Butland might palm it out, he was in POMO no one went with him.

Philips didn't move for either Hogan's shot that hit the bar, nor Gregory's skyer. The later is a bit harsh.  But it's worrying all the same. 

Our 2nd we had 4 players in the box, plus Pratley arriving for a cross from open play.  That's good to see at 1-1 in what was then a tight game.

For our 3rd Gallagher starts from so deep no one was marking him, brilliant from Jacko and Marsh as it wasn't actually that well executed, Cullen under hits it and Lyle has to work harder than he should to flick it. 
    I’m sure I’m about to be embarrassed here: what is POMO?

Also, on the players marks thread, it seems you sometimes get last minute marks coming in that seem way off the rough consensus that’s built up during the days since the match. 

Don’t agree at all about the corner btw, I thought it was perfect. Taylor had to move from his normal spot in front of the keeper to get in front of the two defenders who were between him and Cullen, despite efforts by both to prevent him from doing so. 
    Cullen hit the corner at just the right speed for Taylor to get in front of the second of them in time to direct the ball into the open space in the penalty area for Gallagher’s late run. If Cullen had hit it any harder it would have been more difficult to set it up so perfectly. Seemed that way to me, at least. 

Bowyer said it was one of JJ's routines and a carbon copy of something they tried in training.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Uboat said:
    Plus Chuks:
    Totally. Look at the way Williams moves in front of his marker to be first to the ball.

He's definitely not trying to score, to me that looks like a deliberate pass to Chuks, especially the way he immediately moves away from goal to not block the shot
    I can't believe people are even questioning it based on his body position. It is like Kermogant's goal against Hartlepool. It is what class players can do.
  • Options
    Haha absolutely no way did Williams mean that 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Uboat said:
    Plus Chuks:

I can't believe people are even questioning it based on his body position. It is like Kermogant's goal against Hartlepool. It is what class players can do.
    Watch Williams celebrate the goal.....absolute fluke!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

Thats one hell of a stat. 
    And totally fictitious.  Taylor's worth around £5m - £6m, so the rest, including two loanees from the Premier League, are worth pretty much nothing?
    I think it’s based on what clubs actually paid for players. 
    Then shouldn’t ours be around the half-a-million mark or even less? Nearly everyone is a youth product, loaner, or freebie. Bonne and maybe Purrington commanded a fee, who else?  My watchword is, if it’s in The Sun, it must be a porky. 
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Uboat said:
    Plus Chuks:

Watch Williams celebrate the goal.....absolute fluke!
    Looking at that it looks deliberate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Part of me thinks it deliberate but then the way he jumps it looks like he was trying to do the flick that Josh Parker tried towards the end of the Play-Off Final

i.e. Unless he's simply trying to fool the defender, why come off the ground when simply passing back to Aneke
  • Options
    I think the evidence Williams meant it is in his movement straight after the pass/flick.
    I say it was a deliberate tee up.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Part of me thinks it deliberate but then the way he jumps it looks like he was trying to do the flick that Josh Parker tried towards the end of the Play-Off Final

i.e. Unless he's simply trying to fool the defender, why come off the ground when simply passing back to Aneke
    He was trying Parker flick and it hit his standing leg rather than the flicking boot 
    I did my own VAR and watched it 5 times, stopping and pauses to be 100% certain.

The above Statement by the right honourable oohaahmortimer is correct.

• Options
    Looks like he meant it to me, his eyes were following the ball the second it left his foot. If it was a fluke he wouldn't have known where it had gone straightaway.
  • Options

He was trying Parker flick and it hit his standing leg rather than the flicking boot 
    This absolutely, was very similar to Parker’s at Wembley. Zero chance he meant it, can’t even see how people think otherwise. 
  • Options
    Definetly meant it. a) When was the last time you see Williams have a shot a goal? Always lays it on for others. b) As soon as he kicks it he is looking towards Aneke and not looking towards the goal? As for the celebration with him  and his leg I think he was pointing out "here lads that was magical leg that set that goald up don't forget to thank me". When seeing it live I felt it was set up. 
  • Options
    Absolutely no way in meant it, i'm still not convinced Yann meant his goal against Hartlepool... 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    If he meant it he wouldn’t have used his right leg, he would have just touched it backwards with his left. Nobody would ever try and dummy with their left, living it to hit them and roll back to their teammate. Maybe if you were showing off in a pre season friendly, but not at 1-1 in a league game. 
  • Options
    fuck me whether he meant it or not we just beat an established championship stoke 3-1 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he said he meant it, he meant it.
  • Options
    We won, they lost Williams was in a great position to miss his kick... Aneke scored. Nothing else matters.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think the evidence Williams meant it is in his movement straight after the pass/flick.
    I say it was a deliberate tee up.
    He moves away to draw defenders and make space for the shot he knew would be coming in.  An attempted shot and he would have been stationary wondering where the ball went. 
  • Options
    Absolutely no way in meant it, i'm still not convinced Yann meant his goal against Hartlepool... 
    That's something that in my heart of heart of hearts I know he didn't mean - but also, no screw u he totally meant it!!

(Jonny on the other hand meant what he did, but the execution was pretty much the total opposite of how he wanted it to go. Still, the end justified the means)
  • Options
    How DARE you doubt Yann!  His goal from oblique angle was far superior to the more famous strike by Marco van Basten...
  • Options
    Every goal we ever scored we meant, even the ones we didn't. So that should be the end of it. If they say they meant it, they meant it! 
  • Options
    How DARE you doubt Yann!  His goal from oblique angle was far superior to the more famous strike by Marco van Basten...
    It was, but it was still meant to be a cross. 
  • Options
    This 'did Jonny mean it debate' is a nice place to be.
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if Williams would pass there and not shoot.

Great finish from Chuks though. He has loads of time and space, but still lots to do and he really pings it into the corner. Great technique and composure - we've had many a striker who'd have gone to pieces with time to think like that. Goals and assists for our attacking players early in the season is a real bonus and as it sets them of on a confident footing.