Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The times when you've met a random charlton fan.

124»

Comments

• Options
    About 4 or 5 yrs ago i treated my mum and her twin sister to a holiday for their 60th birthday. They both wanted to go to NY. 
    On the return flight they got bumped up to Business class, guess my mum or aunty mentioned their birthday and BA kindly found seats.
    I met my mum at Gatwick and she was telling me the story about her business class and how amazing it was. The only bad point she said, was a couple that were effing and blinding about the food and wine and kept asking for more champagne. They argued the whole flight with air stewards and were told they would be arrested on arrival as they twice lit a cigarette. Anyway i was at gatwick arrivals with her and then she pointed to a couple being led away by police. 
    I seen a fat bloke in a Charlton kit being led away and gave him my look of disaproval.
    But did feel sorry for him hearing the language of his other half 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    The morning after my 30th.
    After a night at Fabric, I was in chatterbox mode. I bumped into what turned out to be a Norwegian Charlton supporter in front of a hotel.
    Still remember that he wore the 2003/2004 top. Must’ve spoken to him for a couple of minutes, when I realised he completely ignored me.

Also at the HIA Home Show in Sydney in 2009.
    Was setting up the stand (wine tasting), when the plant delivery guy turned up.
    He was a Londoner, but been living in Oz for years.
    We started talking sport. He followed Parramatta Eels in the rugby league.
    I asked him about football. He said ‘You probably haven’t heard of them, but they’re called Charlton’.
  • Options
    A lot more interesting collisions then expected. These are mostly go international.

Only one I've got is...randomly sitting next to an old bloke in a pub in crayford.

We both got talking...out of initial reluctant politeness due to the fact that our friends briefly left our area. Most likely had a fag break outside.

I just thought wow....no one in crayford supports Charlton. 

Life has surprised me once again.
  • Options
    Was on the Wells- Walsingham railway station in North Norfolk waiting on the platform for a train that was very late arriving.
    Got talking to a couple of blokes who said they came from Bexleyheath. 
    I commented that although I live in Norfolk, I'm a long suffering Charlton supporter to which one of the men said he had been a Charlton season ticket holder for many years.
    Beanbag who post's on C.L. and I then discussed the highs and lows of supporting the reds for many decades. 
    He had a ticket for the playoff semi against Doncaster.
    Hi Beanbag, fantastic start to the new season. 
    Hi John I was thinking about posting our chat too as that really was a random meeting !!  Yes our fantastic start has really got the juices flowing- I was worried that the euphoria of Wembley was going to be short lived. All the best.
  • Options
    I met a guy on a flight back from Geneva a couple years. I was with my gf and he was on his own. We chatted about Charlton quite a bit much to my gfs annoyance. He said he was on here but I didn't say my username as I was scared I'd have pissed him off...

Never did work out who it was.
    It was me.
  • Options
    No but I was in my local Sainsbury’s in West London a few years ago when a guy walked in wearing the AC Milan replica shirt with a Charlton badge. Got talking and for a while started going to matches together.
    Anyone got a photo of this shirt? 
  • Options
    Cheddar Gorge, about four years ago. Family day out and saw someone wearing a Charlton coat. Went over with my kids and we spoke about Yann who had not long left. 
    I get so excited when I see anything Charlton related when miles from home. I’m like a kid. 
  • Options

1. Holiday on the Leeds-Liverpool canal in 1997, ambling along at 3 mph just past Gargrave wearing a Charlton top when on the canal bank was an adult a group of children - as we passed she was cheering and the children were booing - turned out she was a Charlton supporting teacher on a trip with her class from a school in Leeds

2. Holiday on Cape Verde islands about five years ago - met a Charlton fan in the hotel who told me that Morgan Fox was also staying in our hotel - I had seen him in the dining hall a couple of times without realising it was him - he was wearing a basketball top with Fox 21 on the back for meals but I still hadn't twigged it was actually him. Didn't see him again until we were at the tiny airport waiting to board the plane home and we ended up standing next to Morgan , but the opportunity to speak with him had passed unfortunately

3. About 20 years ago I was walking north out of Glasgow Central station in the summer wearing an old Woolwich Charlton top - had arrived at midnight into Glasgow on the last train from Euston. Turned a corner and a group of students worse for wear were walking towards us, one of whom was a Charlton fan and started singing Charlton songs when she saw my top

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    At secondary school in the early 2000s. Lost a football that had our badge on it. The caretaker gave it back to me and I think it turned out he was or had been a season ticket holder in the Covered End.
    Where?
    He said: The Covered End  ;)
  • Options
    Here..
    40c and i was wilting fast. Jnr had his obligatory Charlton shirt on when we were approached by an elderly couple who asked if we were Charlton fans.
    Their son had been wounded in Afghanistan and after hospital in Germany was having a few days in London. They met him there and wanted to see a football match. As we were the only ones at home it was  us. They'd hD a soft spot ever since.
  • Options
    Probably told this one before, but introduced to a lady on Facebook 6\7 years ago that had a puppy (sibling) from the same litter as my first (Bailey) boy but strangely to me, her living on the west coast of Scotland she had a connection with Charlton. She is Sailor Brown's daughter we are still in touch to this day though she has little to say about Charlton due to the ownership. 
  • Options
    I forgot about another one. I was in a sports bar called Muza in Arad, Israel getting a round in and this bar's ceiling is covered completely with football scarves from all over the world. While my beers were being pulled, a bloke strolls up to the bar and says to a member of staff, ere mate, pop this on your ceiling. I looked round and it was a Charlton scarf being handed over.  
  • Options
    Today at work in Hackney. 
    Man came in to check various repairs. Got talking and he was an addick.
  • Options
    Was in Sanur, Bali in October 2018 and a dutch guy noticed my Addicks towel and we got chatting. Turns out he was a huge Feyenoord and Charlton fan and flies over regularly to watch games home and away. Knew all the politics regarding Douchebag, Katrien, Murray etc. Nice guy too.
  • Options
    I was walking through John Lewis in Bluewater when I spotted a bloke approaching who looked very familiar. He had obviously clocked my look and started to slow as indeed had I.  I had to make a quick decision (nah, I don't know him) and decided to walk on (as did he).  In the very next instant I realised it was Alan Pardew - not necessarily a Charlton fan, but he was our manager at the time.  :|   
  • Options
    I was walking through John Lewis in Bluewater when I spotted a bloke approaching who looked very familiar. He had obviously clocked my look and started to slow as indeed had I.  I had to make a quick decision (nah, I don't know him) and decided to walk on (as did he).  In the very next instant I realised it was Alan Pardew - not necessarily a Charlton fan, but he was our manager at the time.  :|   
    Wow what a fantastic story.  B)
  • Options
    5 years ago we were on an extensive tour of the states. First day of the season we were away at Brentford and in solidarity I wore one of our shirts.

We were at the top of palm springs mountain taking the cable car down and the cable car operator spotted my shirt. Turned out he was from Woolwich,  an Addick who had moved out to the States on a whim 20 years previous.