Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The times when you've met a random charlton fan.

Comments

• Options
    I was at the Womad festival in Wiltshire a couple of years ago and there was a fella with a Men In Black baseball cap with AFC2 - 4 CAFC  on the back. I got chatting to him and he said most people thought the cap was about the film. He lived out that way.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    I was at the Womad festival in Wiltshire a couple of years ago and there was a fella with a Men In Black baseball cap with AFC2 - 4 CAFC  on the back. I got chatting to him and he said most people thought the cap was about the film. He lived out that way.
    Jeez. Was that some sort of official merchandise? Am trying to work out in my mind whether it would be worse if it was home made.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    rananegra said:
    Jeez. Was that some sort of official merchandise? Am trying to work out in my mind whether it would be worse if it was home made.
    It was professionally made I doubt it was "official" though
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    A hostel in Buenos Aires 
    Uncanny, I was wondering around the San Telmo market whilst in Buenos Aires 18 months ago and forced whoever I could find to buy me a beer.

• Options
    Got chatting to the bloke sat next to me on a flight back from Nairobi. Not only a Charlton supporter but also Scottish (as are my family) and he had worked for the same part of the Govermnment as me. 
    A Charlton supporter I got chatting to on the train to Gatwick for the flight up to Boro had just got back from DRC - expected me not to know anything about the place but it turned out he had a beer the night before with the person I was dealing with at the Embassy.
    A waitress at Crawdaddy's in Pretoria asked if we had ever heard of Mark Fish as her brother had gone to the UK with him to watch the FA Cup final. That was the start of many Charlton-related conversations in South Africa (and lots of eye rolling by by other half) where we never actually mey Fiiiiiish or Shaun Bartlett but had severla near misses like checking out of a hotel the same day they were due to check in for a golf tournament.
  • Options
    I used to spend alot of time in a Coral in Spalding back in 2008/2009, the manager was a Charlton fan
  • Options
    Met @shine166 today

Recognised the tam
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was in a bar in Kalkan Turkey. Just me and my wife. A family walk in as they order i hear the waiter who they support.

My ears prick up when dad says .."You wont have heard of them .... Charlton Athletic"

Like me an Upper West ST holder but never met since
  • Options
    Met @shine166 today

Recognised the tam
    Same. No wonder he looked a little shocked at strange men grabbing him warmly by the hand.
  • Options
    Met @shine166 today

Recognised the tam
    You were the first of many strangers that said hello shine lol. Good to meet you
  • Options
    Met @shine166 today

Recognised the tam
    Same. No wonder he looked a little shocked at strange men grabbing him warmly by the hand.
    Yeah it was starting to get a bit weird by the time you said hello 🤣
  • Options
    Two years ago at the start of the 17/18 season when we played Exeter away in The League Cup on a Tuesday night I travelled down to stay in Torquay so I could do Exeter away and then Plymouth away on the Saturday. I was waiting at Torre train station next on from Torquay as it was closer to my b&b and wearing my Charlton shirt got a few glances from someone I assumed might have been a local football fan but turns out he and his wife were Charlton fans from Portsmouth going to the game and also holidaying in Torquay but not staying on to do Plymouth on the Saturday.

Not unusual to bump into fellow Charlton fans en route to an away game I know but Torre station was still a good 22 miles away from the ground and travelling towards the London direction rather than away.
  • Options
    Waiting in the hot dog queue at Lions v NZ at Wellington’s cake tin - I was was wearing my  Charlton beanie and scarf - I heard a guy say to his mate HES A CHARLTON FAN - had a great chat to the guy who was a season ticket holder.  Made my day.  And the Lions won in the final minutes.  What a day.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    A hostel in Buenos Aires 
    Uncanny, I was wondering around the San Telmo market whilst in Buenos Aires 18 months ago and forced whoever I could find to buy me a beer.

At the prices they charge over there, that is to be expected.
  • Options
    Was on the Wells- Walsingham railway station in North Norfolk waiting on the platform for a train that was very late arriving.
    Got talking to a couple of blokes who said they came from Bexleyheath. 
    I commented that although I live in Norfolk, I'm a long suffering Charlton supporter to which one of the men said he had been a Charlton season ticket holder for many years.
    Beanbag who post's on C.L. and I then discussed the highs and lows of supporting the reds for many decades. 
    He had a ticket for the playoff semi against Doncaster.
    Hi Beanbag, fantastic start to the new season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've had a few Charlton fans stay at our guesthouse, some I've nown in advance, others I haven't.

I had one Norwegian fan Charlton fan staying, who started following us when Thomas Myhre joined and had been to several games at The Valley, but he most interesting one was a Ukranian, who saw the signed shirt on the wall and started speaking to me about Charlton, how he'd never been to The Valley but really wanted to go. I was very surprised that he knew so much about he club until he told me that one of his best friends was Sergei Baltacha! 

BA - I^am thinking of going to Thailand next year - would rather give you my dosh than some faceless American bullshit hotel chain. PM me some info? website etc?

MY random meeting was in a B&B in Noordhoek, Western Cape, South Africa where the guy and family were staying in flat above us, and I heard the local accent - came originally from Woolwich- same as me. He also at the time, was living in SA.

• Options
    I was doing the shopping a few years back, here in Boston.  I had a Charlton cap on, and the guy behind the cheese counter commented on it. Turns out he was from Dartford and used to go to games until he moved to the US. 
  • Options
    Few years ago I was in Boston. We entered the Prudential Centre. Streams of people were on the way out, but I noticed two young boys in Charlton tops (may have been hats, can’t remember) coming down the escalator. May have been with you @SomervilleAddick?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    sizzler resturant at lake buena vista florida
  • Options
    Went to Disney land Paris for a few days. Visited the Eiffel Tower as you do and sitting down on the top was a guy in a Charlton shirt. We started chatting and he is a Scottish guy from Aberdeen, who lived in London, it worked out he was a season ticket holder who sat a few rows away from me. 
  • Options
    Was on a holiday with the Wife and kids to Menorca and found a small isolated bay which was extremely hard to access but well worth the effort when you got to the tiny beach. Was paddling with my little boy and one of those tourist day trip boats came round the mountain and sailed into our bay (to anchor up and let the passengers dive in etc). At the head of the boat like a figurehead was this massive fella with a Charlton shirt on. I started to sing Valley Floyd Road and he looked at me , smiled and gave me the thumbs up.