Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Stoke | Sat 10 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Stoke City
Saturday 10th August 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire)

Introduction
Well that wasn’t a bad return to the Championship was it? – After entering our first game of the season with a depleted squad, many felt that it would be a harsh lesson for Lee Bowyer and his men yet come 5pm it was Charlton that had taught the opposition that we’re not just here to make up the numbers – Tomorrow will see the Valley play host to its first Championship game in three years, with Stoke City the visitors it’s going to be another stern test, yet under this team put together, you just feel that nothing is impossible!!

The Opposition
Name: Stoke City | Manager: Nathan Jones
Ground: Bet365 Stadium

I honestly feel under a bit of pressure to get this section right what with a certain poster on here – Yet as someone on the outside it looks rather grim within Stoke at the moment and I don’t mean the area itself; Nathan Jones (after all but guiding Luton Town to the League One title) was hired to do similar wonders at Stoke yet with far than impressive results you have to wonder how much longer he’ll be given!!

The stark reality is that Stoke have just three wins under his reign – Despite investing heavily over the summer, it appeared the same old story last weekend, a 2-1 defeat coming against a Queens Park Rangers team who will more than likely be challenging to avoid relegation than promotion – Those in Staffordshire certainly will be hoping its nothing more than a slow start to what will yet be a rewarding campaign.

Because Stoke are still a dangerous team filled with Premier League experience - With the fourth best defence in the Division last season their issue is scoring goals, not keeping them out – Jack Butland with England experience will be tough to get past, whilst Nick Powell has surely be brought in for the creativity that the Potters have so dearly missed; Sam Vokes and Scott Hogan (signed on deadline day from Aston Villa) will no doubt be one of the biggest challenges for what has been a solid Charlton defence in 2019!!

Charlton Team News
Well thanks Lee!!... Due to your shenanigans over the past few days I’ve had to re-write this section!!...

What an end to the Transfer Window it was!!... Four players signed (with more incoming) and we kept Lyle Taylor away from the clutches of Brentford – Unfortunately we lost Anfernee Dijksteel to Middlesbrough yet with cover at Right-Back it’s not the end of the world… The headache now though is who gets selected, who gets put on the bench and who gets left out completed?

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Williams | Cullen | Forster-Caskey
Aneke
Taylor | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Oshilaja | Pratley | Field | Kayal | Gallagher

*The line-up will be amended should there be any indications from today’s Press Conference

Prediction
When the dust settled on the opening fixtures it was clear that the promoted teams came into the Division with momentum, whilst those relegated did not – Saturday will be a serious test of the difficult months to come in October and November; Although confidence must be sky high around Sparrows Lane, because of that I don’t see this being a chance for Stoke to take home their fourth win under Nathan Jones

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Quite confident about Saturday and think we will get a second win of the season. If we can get another win against one of the ‘promotion favourites’ we might start getting some respect as not just being here to make up the numbers.

Not buying the hype around Stoke. I reckon we will go 2-0 up and we will hear plenty of booing from them.

3-1. Taylor x2 & Aneke.
  • Options
    1-1,   only Cullen and Leko start. Leko scores! (yes I am aware he has failed to score but in a higher division)
  • Options
    3-0 Charlton 
  • Options
    1-2 loss. Team taking time to gel after all the upheaval; Taylor throwing a strop. Weakness at full back exposed as is the lack of pace though the middle. Key players get injured and a silly sending off changes the game completely....

Hopefully not though!
  • Options
    2-2
  • Options
    1-0 win Aneke and I hope Lyle plays after this unsettling week for him. Get it out of your system Lyle, give the Stoke defenders nightmares...
  • Options
    We will maintain our 100% record of winning 2-1 and scoring all three goals.

2-1

Purrington with the equaliser (obviously)

• Options
    1-1. Be a good game with both teams still gelling!

Cousins to score for them and Taylor for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd take a 1-1 draw now, just to keep momentum.
    Tough first couple of games and I'd have bit your hand off for 4 points a month ago. 

The next small batch of games now look winnable. 

As said previously I don't care if we lose any game this season as it won't be for the lack of effort or trying to win. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    2-2....I predicted the same score last week, so hopefully we win 2-1. Crowd prediction..17,210.
  • Options
    50 mph winds forecast for Saturday so I think he’ll pick bigger, more physical players where poss.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    How do we keep that fantastic spirit from last week if the Babies(Lapslie and Morgan) are thrown out with the bath water ?

No time to work with the new players so only Gallagher and Cullen should start or in Gallagher's case get on. Leko may have to be thrown in from bench.
    Are all the new boys at 100% fitness and had a full pre season ?

We will get a lot of silly scorelines (happy valley is allowed) but yesterday the roller coaster finished at the top. 

Shawcross has a bad injury but Sam Vokes and Nick Powell have given Cafc grief in the past at the valley, and Jordan Cousins returns. Joe Allen can say hello to Williams.  Lee Gregory and James McClean will gets dogs abuse for being Millwall and High profile Catholic respectively.

Hard call but the experience of Stoke to nick it for me 1-0, with Jack Butland MOM after his clanger last week.

Got the score wrong last week so will be delighted to carry on in that vein.
    COYR
  • Options
    1-1. Bonne to come off of the bench and get a late equaliser.
  • Options
    will be fascinating to see who gets where in the squad of the new arrivals, wonder what their likely fitness levels are..
  • Options
    Reading the Stoke forum it’s all doom and gloom and they are not expecting too much . I’m going for a 2-0 win . Pearce and Cullen to score .
  • Options
    No idea who will be selected from amongst the new arrivals. I hope that Bonne gets the vote over Leko if Bowyer goes with a straight two up front. Is Aneke fit, will Sarr make the cut ?

Nathan Jones has proved to be a damp squib manager in the potteries. Stoke got of to a bad start last week, the club seems to be in turmoil. All good for us

CAFC 2 v Stoke City 0 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I think we’ll win this. Stoke seem to be struggling. Depends to an extent how our newbies fit in and gel. Whatever the reality of Lyle’s situation (and I suspect none of us really know) if LB is the man manager I think he is then Lyle will be leading the line. Can’t wait. Feel good factor is unexpectedly back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm surprised Butland is still there. A second season of Championship football will really be hurting his England chances, especially with the Euros coming up AND Heaton and Pope now at separate clubs and likely to be first choices
  • Options
    50 mph winds forecast for Saturday so I think he’ll pick bigger, more physical players where poss.
    Lets hope the trains aren't fuc.ed.
  • Options
    I'm surprised Butland is still there. A second season of Championship football will really be hurting his England chances, especially with the Euros coming up AND Heaton and Pope now at separate clubs and likely to be first choices
    Not to mention Dean Henderson and Angus Gunn at Sheffield United and Southampton respectively

We've got a lot of Goalkeepers in the Premier League now
  • Options
    I've no idea who will start for us. Definitely not Hemed, as even if his transfer goes through, I assume he won't have trained with us at all. 

Depending on fitness, Aneke may only be on the bench, similarly Leko. It wouldn't surprise me if Pratley starts and we go with a more defensive formation
  • Options
    Great preview as always FA.
    It will be interesting to see how close you are with the team selection. 
    Bowyer probably doesn't know his best team yet but at least he has plenty of options for once. 
    As for the match itself I'll go 2.1
    Charlton to keep the feel good factor going.
  • Options
    Phillips
    Oshilaja, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington
    Gallagher
    Cullen, JFC
    Williams
    Taylor, Aneke

Amos, Solly, Sarr, Lapslie, Kayal, Morgan, Leko

Actually hard picking a bench never mind the XI.

Man for man they beat us, as a unit and with the crowd, we beat them, I think we’ll just have enough with that in mind, 2-1 (Pearce, Taylor)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I thought Bowyer just said in his presser that Aneke wont play a part tomorrow due to his hamstring injury? Might have dreamt it 😴.
  • Options
    Personally was hoping to see gallagher cullen and williams playing together tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!