Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonathon Leko - Jan 2024: on loan at Burton (p14)

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    He has played the majority of his young career out wide but definitely came in to be a striker. Give him a chance, I think he could really be exciting. 
    Let's hope Bowyer can get him scoring.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Hope he's a better striker than his stats suggest.

0 goals in 16 appearances for West Brom.
    0 goals in 11 appearances for Bristol city.
    2 goals in 38 appearances for various England youth teams.

Although obviously he was only 20 a few months ago so i guess a lot of those club games were sub appearances.
    Coming on at three nil down for ten minutes against the likes of Man City is never going to be great for your stats 😊
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Although obviously he was only 20 a few months ago so i guess a lot of those club games were sub appearances.
    Depends what type of striker you're after - scoring or non-scoring? If he was the finished article we wouldn't be getting him.
    Is there much demand for non-scoring strikers? 
    At Charlton there is...
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Depends what type of striker you're after - scoring or non-scoring? If he was the finished article we wouldn't be getting him.
    Josh Parker seems to keep getting work
  • Options
    Need pace in the squad as Bowyer says.

He’s looks the type of signing who some will decide he’s a class act or a non-footballer who can run within a couple of appearances.
  • Options
    Looks pleased to have joined Charlton. That definitely helps. Looks a good loan signing. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

We have signed a few in our time so I guess we are the trend setters. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welcome JL, beat a defender or 2 and notch a couple of tap-ins at the Covered End and you'll find plenty of favour in SE7.
    May our time together be fruitful indeed.
  • Options
    I’ve got a West Brom mate he’s far too positive a person , so I’d take this with a pinch of salt 

“2 good loaners mate Field really good, Leko can be game changer on his day but tries to do too much too often.”

• Options
    Well, another one I’ve actually heard of, and even better seen play but only as a sub in last season’s playoffs. As I remember he looked fast but frustrating. Would be harsh to make any judgement on one sub outing though. Said I was worried we lacked a bit of pace so on that level he’ll be a good addition. 

There were times last season when had Aribo, Taylor, and Grant/Williams all running at defences that teams just couldn’t live with us. Hopefully with this lad, Williams, Chuks etc. We can see some more of that this year too. 

Expect us us to come on stronger towards the end of the season as Bowyer and Jacko’s coaching of all these young players starts to kick in. 
  • Options
    The song lives on. 
    Oh Oh Oh
    We’ve got Johnny Leko
    He’s better than Aribo
    He never gives the ball away. 
  • Options
    Got a mate who is a Bristol City fan. He said Leko was useless for them and was sent back before loan terms were finished.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Got a mate who is a Bristol City fan. He said Leko was useless for them and was sent back before loan terms were finished.
    Yeah, but Leko was a raw 18 year old kid back then.

Anyway, he was recalled by the then new West Brom manager, Mr Bignose, who wanted to assess him.
  • Options
    Who the f**k is he?!?!
  • Options
    drewman said:
    Who the f**k is he?!?!
    DoDoo?
  • Options
    Welcome on board!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Our success with securing non-scoring strikers has been a bit hit and miss to be honest. Nice to finally land one.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    West Brom fans not nearly as impressed with this guy as with Field.
    "players like Leko aren't good enough (for first team at WB)".... "never afraid to run at people"..... "his spell at Bristol City left a lot to be desired"..... "big head by sounds of it needs to knuckle down not go same way as Sadio"...."He's just a bit of an idiot, Instagram live video just one example"...."doesn't strike you as particularly bright"...."for all his pace and tricks there’s rarely an end product".... "I don’t think he’s got the football brain needed to really make it, hope he proves me wrong"...."he certainly has something that we have been sadly lacking for many a year, in his ability to run at defenders".... "hope this one works for him, particularly his end product as he is absolute garbage for us"... "I think eventually he will be sold to a league 1 or 2 club"...."he has great pace and skill but he needs guidance, hopefully Lee Bowyer could inspire him to be a better player."

• Options
    edited August 2019
    He only turned 20 earlier this year but made debut in the Prem aged 16. That doesn’t happen unless the player has real potential and has enough about him physically to handle it. If he had consistency and an end product to go with his pace, strength and skill he wouldn’t be playing for West Brom, never mind us.

There’s a few similarities here with Grant. Seen as a striker or wide player depending on the manager. Thrown in very early, a failed loan spell (Grant went to Cambridge before Crawley) and fans of his parent club unsure if he’ll make it. Worth giving him time, he’s our only real attacking option with genuine pace. 

Hopefully like Grant his second loan will get the best out of him. I’m looking forward to seeing how Leko fits in. He’s very different to our midfield signings. There was another wide player we missed out on who Bowyer said he was planning to use up front (Browne who went on loan to Boro I think). Despite his lack of goals at senior level I expect he’s got the same plans for Leko.

Surprised this hasn’t been posted, the standard YouTube highlights video:
     https://youtu.be/3T4-zlRMqus
  • Options
    I think Leko has been signed as a direct replacement for Grant. Bowyer wanted a mobile, pacey forward. He doesn’t like to play with a traditional target man. I think Leko won’t be a starter unless we don’t get in Hemed or a free agent instead. Can see him used more as an impact sub for the time being. It’s very hard to teach good decision making to footballers if it doesn’t come naturally but I’m sure Bowyer has a plan for Leko. Someone with his pace and confidence would terrify tiring defenders. Let’s hope it works out for us and him.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the video, Scoham.

The first thing I noticed ...... this boy likes to get to the byeline, penetrating behind defences and squaring across the face of the goal, which can be really hard to defend; in the box defenders are facing the wrong way towards their own goal, as your own players should be moving into the box with the goal at their mercy.

It's the same tactic and movement that made Stanley Matthews legendary.

Leko is certainly pacy with a good touch on the ball and when he looks up, has vision to pass to a team mate.
    We've only seen the 'best of' highlights, so no doubt it doesn't show the full picture.

Baggies fans say "no end product, indecisive, etc" .... but there seems to be the makings of a very good player there if those shortcomings can be addressed.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    Thanks for posting the video, Scoham.

The first thing I noticed ...... this boy likes to get to the byeline, penetrating behind defences and squaring across the face of the goal, which can be really hard to defend; in the box defenders are facing the wrong way towards their own goal, as your own players should be moving into the box with the goal at their mercy.

It's the same tactic and movement that made Stanley Matthews legendary.

Leko is certainly pacy with a good touch on the ball and when he looks up, has vision to pass to a team mate.
    We've only seen the 'best of' highlights, so no doubt it doesn't show the full picture.

Baggies fans say "no end product, indecisive, etc" .... but there seems to be the makings of a very good player there if those shortcomings can be addressed.

Also the way Bowyer has got us playing.

Under Robinson we didn’t get in behind teams often enough, didn’t win enough penalties and didn’t create/score enough tap ins.

Last season we scored a lot of goals like that, Leko could be someone that fits into that style, with our new midfielders providing the passes to get him, Williams, Aneke and Taylor into those areas.
  • Options
    If Bowyer can focus that ability we have a real talent on our hands.