Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are there parallels between the Gliksten Era and Roland Duchatelet ?

As the title suggests is the club being run on a budget designed to hinder success ? My recollection was we never had ambition, we regularly sold to pay the bills, Treacy, Campbell, Went and before that Bailey, Glover, Bonds not forgetting the biggest of the lot Killer Hales. Then the New England Tea men debacle . .Are we once again becoming the club of my youth ?

Comments

• Options
    Glikstens were around for a very long time. They initially invested heavily in the club, and when they appoint Jimmy Seed they told him there would be little further investment in players, and they wanted their investment back, through player sales.
    Parallels between Seed and Bowyer perhaps.
  • Options
    As many would know on here, from 'The Essential History of Charlton Athletic' (which I have been reading to my 9 year old recently)..... 

"Glikstein told Mullery that he didn't really want to get promotion, as it would cripple the club with increased wages and the new players that would be needed. He felt the club could not afford it. Mullery felt totally disillusioned with the situation and this must have rubbed off on the players........."

• Options
    edited August 2019
    There have probably been only 3 or 4 seasons in the last 50 years that the manager has been allowed to spend more than the "club" could afford.  Lennie when he got promoted, Curbs in 98, Dowie and Pardew. 

Edit: obviously forgetting the rubber boat and its attached bounty 
  • Options
    Ken Craggs ? Although Mark Hulyer probably did the spending.
  • Options
    As many would know on here, from 'The Essential History of Charlton Athletic' (which I have been reading to my 9 year old recently)..... 

"Glikstein told Mullery that he didn't really want to get promotion, as it would cripple the club with increased wages and the new players that would be needed. He felt the club could not afford it. Mullery felt totally disillusioned with the situation and this must have rubbed off on the players........."

Seem to recall Mullery wanting to land Archie Gemmill, he argued he would be the catalyst to our promotion.  Apparently Glikstein could afford him, but not the promotion.  Gemmill was a fantastic player, would've loved to see him in a red shirt.

There was of course no social media in those days and Glikstein got away with murder. 

P.S Bet your 9 year old has no trouble sleeping  :)

• Options
    Not really much of a comparison. Most owners had little money to invest/ indulge in a football club.
    Now there is money to be made in football. Glikstein had no vision of making money from the club. RD and others believe Premier League then treble etc money. But RD is deluded, he thought it was easy money, so now he grasps you need to spend first, with risk, will not do it so sells to keep his losses down. He really is a fool, his good money is chasing bad. He needs to sell - now.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Must be my memory but I thought Mullery was brought in by Sunley and Glikstein was long gone by then 
  • Options
    We have always been a selling club,I remember when players like Marvin Hinton,Lennie Glover,Stuart Leary(to qpr) and many more left .It was ironic that the only time we had a few bob to spend,we gave it to Dowie,who wasted it and got us well on the road to relegation.Often wonder where we would be now,if Curbs had stayed one more year and had that same amount to spend.I went to a Valley open day once and Michael Gliksten addressed us,I could not stand the man,he had no interest in Charlton whatsoever,reminds me of today.
  • Options

Must be my memory but I thought Mullery was brought in by Sunley and Glikstein was long gone by then 

Mullery - under Gliksten then Hulyer

Craggs - under Hulyer

Lennie - under Hulyer (and a bit of Collins) then under Sunley (John Fryer from March 1984)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    In my opinion the Gliksten brothers were responsible for the club progressing. along with a very astute Jimmy Seed and his brother w
    ho really had an eye for a player.
    Michael Gliksten was the bastard
  • Options
    He had some passing interest in that he more often than not attended games but certainly showed no meaningful passion whatsoever.
    He was, well how shall we say......just sort of there......Meh.
    Fucked off to Australia without so much as a look backwards at SE7........something he should have done at least a decade earlier.
    Was something of a useless nobody in truth, who never appreciated the great honour and duty towards the inheritance bestowed upon him.
  • Options
    In my opinion the Gliksten brothers were responsible for the club progressing. along with a very astute Jimmy Seed and his brother w
    Certainly what i heard from family over the years.  
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Certainly what i heard from family over the years.  
    His Dad and Uncle would have been ashamed of him.
  • Options
    RD makes Glikstein look like Roman Abramovich
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Glikstens were around for a very long time. They initially invested heavily in the club, and when they appoint Jimmy Seed they told him there would be little further investment in players, and they wanted their investment back, through player sales.
    Parallels between Seed and Bowyer perhaps.
    When I was a lad my dad played golf with a old ex player who was transferred from Cafc. (International)
    His words to me were the Gliksten's would sell anything that moved if they could make money.
    The Brothers influenced Michael who carried on in the same vein. Instead of invested in the 1969 team which came third in the Championship ( 2nd Division) he sold the heart of the team and the years before killer Hales were a complete shambles.
    3 or 4k against the like of  Port Vale !

Compare the Gliksten's to the Hillwoods' at Arsenal.

No wonder you became a Millwall fan.

Ps. Good to have you back as my Bermondsey dad taking me to the Den in my formative days is why I had to have anger management therapy. I'm a calm tai chi, poetry and spoken word guy now.

DO YOU HEAR ME JIMMY ?
  • Options
    The sad fact is that with the glorious exception of the late 90s and early noughties, the club has always been run by administrations veering from the skin flints to the cavaliers.

But we have had two chairmen who didn’t care about the club - Roland and the last of the Gliksteins, Michael.

The seeds of what we have now was sown in the 60s and 70s. While other clubs adapted and prospered, Charlton sold its best, lost the bulk of the massive crowds of the previous three decades and failed to invest in the ground. All this happened under the Gliksteins.

With the last of the Gliksteins we saw the ground falling further into disrepair. We read about plans for housing. Then the rumours of moving the club lock, stock and barrel to Milton Keynes. And the continual loss of our best players.

This led to to convulsions of the 80s with near extinction and loss of the Valley, and despite those glory years, it’s led to us being owned by an individual who will continue to sell the assets to balance the books, because he doesn’t like us or care about us. 

Where the comparison fails I suppose is that the current chairman did actually purchase the club rather than have it handed to him as a family heirloom.

• Options

Good excuse for the twat Mullery.

The Alan Pardew of his day. 'Nuff said.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Good excuse for the twat Mullery.

The Alan Pardew of his day. 'Nuff said.
    Can't agree with that at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Michael Glikstein, could have sold the Valley to Sunley and we would have never got back there, they wanted to move to Selhurst Park, they would have built on the Valley, so you could say they were much worse owners than Glikstein.

As for Alan Mullery, I would not believe a word that came out of his mouth

• Options
    edited August 2019

Michael Glikstein, could have sold the Valley to Sunley and we would have never got back there, they wanted to move to Selhurst Park, they would have built on the Valley, so you could say they were much worse owners than Glikstein.

As for Alan Mullery, I would not believe a word that came out of his mouth

That story is in his autobiography. 

Apparently he had Gemmill and the Northern Irish International Dave Mccreary lined up. 

The funniest part of the Charlton chapter in his book is the way he describes sharing a leaky office with Benny Fenton. 

Apparently Benny kept on moaning about how Mullery had scored a goal for Fulham which dented the Spanners promotion push in 1972.
  • Options
    GM used to send a telegram to Jimmy Seed regularly telling him what Glikstein was up too behind his back.   ;)
  • Options
    GM used to send a telegram to Jimmy Seed regularly telling him what Glikstein was up too behind his back.   ;)
    Who is GM?
  • Options
    Who is GM?
    Gerard Murphy, it was joke and a leg pull towards James Seed on here.............killed it now  :/
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Who is GM?
    Gerard Murphy, it was joke and a leg pull towards James Seed on here.............killed it now  :/
    Ah.....that’s rather cryptic if I may say so.
  • Options
    Agree with everything said about Michael Gliksten. He didn't want to spend money on the club he had inherited from the family, which was why we slowly declined from the 60's until his departure in the early 80's. However, Stanley Gliksten before him would have made decent money on the club when gates were large and playing/running costs minimal. The comparison with Duchatelet ends there. The Gliksten's were hands-on, attended matches and (Albert and Stanley at least) had a real love for the club. Duchatelet is far wealthier in comparative terms and has zero interest or love for the club.