Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pink Floyd

Comments

• Options
    Rob said:
    I remember seeing them once. The Dark Side of the Moon concert at Earls Ct. Must have been 1973. I always have preferred their earlier stuff. 

Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother were big parts of my psychedelic youth. 

See Emily Play was an early single that did well in the charts. Flip side I believe was Arnold Lane which was also pretty good. 
    Arnold Lane wasn't the flip of Emily, it was the preceding single.
    Both written by Syd.
  • Options
    Only ever present member was the drummer though, Nick Mason. Keyboardist Richard Wright played on every tour as well.
    Drummer Nick Mason left briefly.
    Mason fell out with Waters during the Wall period and left. He did play on, I think, one track from Final Cut, but had left the band at that point. He returned when Waters fell out with both Gilmour and Wright too and went solo, believing the he was Pink Floyd.
    He was wrong.
  • Options
    Although I might be getting Mason and Wright confused...
     :o 
  • Options
    Nick Mason never left - it was Richard Wright who left during the recording of The Wall, although he was kept on as a touring member. He later rejoined when Gilmour and Mason relaunched Floyd after Waters left.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    I remember seeing them once. The Dark Side of the Moon concert at Earls Ct. Must have been 1973. I always have preferred their earlier stuff. 

Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother were big parts of my psychedelic youth. 

See Emily Play was an early single that did well in the charts. Flip side I believe was Arnold Lane which was also pretty good. 
    B side was The Scarecrow, unless you got the Spanish version where it was released as a four track ep (according to wiki).  Great song whatever was on the reverse.

Anyone else got Nick Mason's Inside Out book? Some great pics in there.
  • Options
    Latimer said:
    They and Genesis were a big part of my prog rock teenage years. Loved the V&A exhibition and had the privilege to see them live at Stafford Bingley Hall for the launch of Animals in the 1970s. 

Aussie Pink Floyd pretty good!
    Floyd are not prog  :/
  • Options
    Latimer said:
    They and Genesis were a big part of my prog rock teenage years. Loved the V&A exhibition and had the privilege to see them live at Stafford Bingley Hall for the launch of Animals in the 1970s. 

Prog is a very wide church.
  • Options
    BDL said:
    Latimer said:

Not that broad😉. Prog rock, Yes, ELP, Marilion etc
  • Options
    BDL said:
    Latimer said:

Not that broad😉. Prog rock, Yes, ELP, Marilion etc
    Pendragon, Galahad, IQ to Steven Wilson, Pineapple Thief, Frost* - I'd say it's pretty broad with Floyd on the latter end of that spectrum
  • Options
    Thought there might be a few Floyd fans on here and I wasn't wrong! Enjoyed all your reminiscences chaps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw them for FREE in Hyde Park in 1970. Unfortunately, they were premiering Atom Heart Mother which I thought was their worst album up until that time. Don't like much of their later stuff but Ummagumma is my all time favourite.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    BDL said:
    Latimer said:

If that's the case (and I agree) then Floyd were in view of the church and occasionally peeked in, but never fully entered.
    They were progressive and experimental but never bogged down by the pretentious bollox that can be associated with bands like Yes, Genesis and Marilion (I like all three by the way but not all their stuff). Rush are another example -there were a blues band, then a prog rock band before returning to harder rock. The beginning and end were better than the middle in my view.
    Floyd were political and social observers, something you rarely get in prog rock, and very, very clever lyricists. They were far more a blues/folk/jazz fusion and for me have a genre all to themselves.
  • Options
    I saw them for FREE in Hyde Park in 1970. Unfortunately, they were premiering Atom Heart Mother which I thought was their worst album up until that time. Don't like much of their later stuff but Ummagumma is my all time favourite.
    Fat old Sun is one of my favourites, Gilmour playing it live is Gilmour at his best.
    Have a listen on YouTube, about 3:30 minutes in he does the solo.
  • Options
    Careful with that axe Eugene live at Pompei is another personal favourite.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rush are another example -there were a blues band, then a prog rock band before returning to harder rock. The beginning and end were better than the middle in my view.
    ....and Clockwork Angels (A concept album) was probably their most proggy album, also their last. (sh*t live at the O2 though - awful mixing!)

• Options
    I may be a rock purist/ bigot! but I was meaning I want the originals playing. Very restrictive but I will not watch a tribute band if the original artists are still alive. Not a good standard but it’s mine! Richard Wright certainly no session man, an original and indispensable part of Floyd.
  • Options
    The four of them reuniting at Live 8 was a great moment in rock history.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I may be a rock purist/ bigot! but I was meaning I want the originals playing. Very restrictive but I will not watch a tribute band if the original artists are still alive. Not a good standard but it’s mine! Richard Wright certainly no session man, an original and indispensable part of Floyd.
    As a general rule I would agree with you - but I make an exception with the Aussies.
    Very few 'tribute' bands can sell out arenas, they are incredibly talented musicians and have an amazingly loyal following.  I've seen them many times at both small and large venues, and in fact I'm seeing them later this year at the Victoria Hall in Stoke - a small venue. I can't wait.
    Pink Floyd haven't played together for decades (L8 aside), Rick and Syd are gone and Walters and Gilmour have barely spoken to each other in more than 30 years. If you like their music and you like watching it played live then the Aussies are by far the best bet. Who did Gilmour choose to be the musical entertainment at his 60th (I think) birthday bash at his Oxfordshire mansion? Aussie Floyd.

• Options
    Hi! Your friendly local contrarian looking to ruffle a few feathers here. While I won't dispute that Pink Floyd were good, I will state with absolute conviction that their best album is A Saucerful Of Secrets. Pick that one out, chums!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hi! Your friendly local contrarian looking to ruffle a few feathers here. While I won't dispute that Pink Floyd were good, I will state with absolute conviction that their best album is A Saucerful Of Secrets. Pick that one out, chums!
    Personal choice so nothing to pick out, apart from saying you're wrong.

Not a bad album though, but most certainly not their best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    As a general rule I would agree with you - but I make an exception with the Aussies.
    Very few 'tribute' bands can sell out arenas, they are incredibly talented musicians and have an amazingly loyal following.  I've seen them many times at both small and large venues, and in fact I'm seeing them later this year at the Victoria Hall in Stoke - a small venue. I can't wait.
    Pink Floyd haven't played together for decades (L8 aside), Rick and Syd are gone and Walters and Gilmour have barely spoken to each other in more than 30 years. If you like their music and you like watching it played live then the Aussies are by far the best bet. Who did Gilmour choose to be the musical entertainment at his 60th (I think) birthday bash at his Oxfordshire mansion? Aussie Floyd.

Yeah, but can they put a bid together?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    bobmunro said:

Yeah, but can they put a bid together?
    I don't think they've got the money.
  • Options
    Absolutely love them.  Never seen them unfortunately. 
  • Options
    Oh dear I am a bit of a contradiction, I have seen the Aussie Floyd and they are great.
    by tribute bands seen Bolan, Hendrix and great. This year saw the Searchers in their final tour. Great to see originals that can still do it.

• Options
    At 34 I’m perhaps one of the younger contributors on this thread.

i grew up late 80’ through the 90’s with my parents always playing them so it grew on me and stuck. They like many others attended the 94 Earls Court tour and never looked back.

Think there is plenty of the older stuff I’ve not heard, that I need to.

Saw Gilmour solo at the RAH a few years back and was in awe at times. Very tempted by the Australian Floyd as I only hear great reviews.
  • Options
    Oh dear I am a bit of a contradiction, I have seen the Aussie Floyd and they are great.
    by tribute bands seen Bolan, Hendrix and great. This year saw the Searchers in their final tour. Great to see originals that can still do it.

Fucks Bizz were disappointing 
  • Options
    Never did see them live but did provide the insurance for the plastic inflatable pink pig that became dislodged during the first attempt to photograph it over Battersea Power Station for the cover of Animals, ending up in a pig farm in Kent. The insurance also included its use at live gigs after the release of the album. I shold have gone to one of those just for a risk inspection. Asked the broker for freebies but they never materialised.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Agree generally with this assessment of the albums, though I would put Animals above The Wall.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-albums-ranked/
  • Options
    Nick Mason never left - it was Richard Wright who left during the recording of The Wall, although he was kept on as a touring member. He later rejoined when Gilmour and Mason relaunched Floyd after Waters left.
    Ta.
    After my post, I suddenly thought “Hang on, did I get those two mixed up?” Apparently so.
    :flushed:
  • Options
    Seeing the Aussies tonight in Stoke - set list for this tour looks pretty awesome.