Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pink Floyd

Comments

• Options

I love PF, but Another Brick in the Wall is dreadful.

• Options
    controversial point (for all ye remainers perhaps) re Brexit .. British bands can, and still do, pull huge crowds all over Europe, they still sell whatever media is en vogue by the truckload and make Europeans young and old happy and grateful for some decent modern, beautifully played and transmitted music .. 
    how many European bands have ever had that same cultural effect Euro or world wide ? (Yes I have heard of ABBA and the Scorpions)
  • Options
    For me personally I regard the Wall as their last Album.  To be honest I haven't listened to much of the Final Cut and everything since was a Guilmor solo project, not really my cup of tea

I would agree, the last true Floyd album was The Wall. That's not to say that Gilmour's 'Floyd' didn't produce some great stuff - but not at the same level of genius.
  • Options
    I think this is to do with the fact that people of most other countries learn English to a good level at school so appreciate music from the UK and America. Lots of people I know also say they learnt even more English from song lyrics.
  • Options
    I think this is to do with the fact that people of most other countries learn English to a good level at school so appreciate music from the UK and America. Lots of people I know also say they learnt even more English from song lyrics.
    this is so true .. American/UK culture dominates the western world .. working in Holland years ago, even then (1970s) most younger people spoke excellent English .. they praised sub titled, not dubbed TV shows and music both UK & US  .. the radio stations played pretty much exclusively English language sounds
  • Options
    Love a bit of Pink Floyd and I cannot really add anything that has not been said above.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    controversial point (for all ye remainers perhaps) re Brexit .. British bands can, and still do, pull huge crowds all over Europe, they still sell whatever media is en vogue by the truckload and make Europeans young and old happy and grateful for some decent modern, beautifully played and transmitted music .. 
    how many European bands have ever had that same cultural effect Euro or world wide ? (Yes I have heard of ABBA and the Scorpions)

Boney M - they are still going BTW.
  • Options

Aha!
  • Options
    edited August 2019

very good point .. West Indian ladies, Euro produced sounds of very good quality .. they have sold an incredible amount of records, almost Beatlesque .. I'd say though that they still qualify as British (ish) if yer no wot I meen 
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Many.

U2,Kraftwerk,Van Gelis,A-Ha,Jan Hammer,Roxette,Milli Vanilli,Plastique Bertrand.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Aha!

More seriously - Focus were a global band.

But yes, UK/US bands sit atop the mountain in terms of popular music/culture. Most successful non UK/US bands tend to sing in English as well.

• Options

Many.

U2,Kraftwerk,Van Gelis,A-Ha,Jan Hammer,Roxette,Milli Vanilli,Plastique Bertrand.

I'm not gonna start an endless debate .. BUT .. U2, Irish with an English guitarist, more UK than Paddy I m o .. Jan Hammer .. Czech made his name in US ... A-HA, English lyrics like  Roxette, English lyrics...  Milli Vanilla .. f**k off with that one …  Plastique Bertrand .. ca plane pour moi .. and ?????, … VG .. without Jon Anderson he'd be unknown .. Kraftwerk .. give you that one, but what a bunch of Teutonic bores
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Interestingly on the language topic there seems to be more of a trend recently in the UK/US charts for songs in Spanish (eg Despacito) or even Korean. Other than that over the years most worldwide popular music has always been in English. Here in Spain though loads of music from Latin America is popular, especially reggaeton and bachata and it seems to be getting quite popular in the UK as well. Used to teach Spanish in England and the kids liked quite a bit of Spanish speaking music.
  • Options

Many.

I'm not gonna start an endless debate .. BUT .. U2, Irish with an English guitarist, more UK than Paddy I m o .. Jan Hammer .. Czech made his name in US ... A-HA, English lyrics like  Roxette, English lyrics...  Milli Vanilla .. f**k off with that one …  Plastique Bertrand .. ca plane pour moi .. and ?????, … VG .. without Jon Anderson he'd be unknown .. Kraftwerk .. give you that one, but what a bunch of Teutonic bores

Ouch :)

I thought your statement was ...'how many European bands have ever had that same cultural effect Euro or world wide ?' ?

I thought it was a given that most bands regardless of where they come from sing in English.

In which they all apply, Shirley?. (ok, i'll let you off Plastique- who is also still going, according to my Belgian boss).

• Options

Many.

On the same level of Pink Floyd, only U2 would come close from that list.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Many.

TBH, there are not many who come close to PF !

IMO, U2 are nowhere close.

• Options

Many.

Ouch :)

I thought your statement was ...'how many European bands have ever had that same cultural effect Euro or world wide ?' ?

I thought it was a given that most bands regardless of where they come from sing in English.

In which they all apply, Shirley?. (ok, i'll let you off Plastique- who is also still going, according to my Belgian boss).

good point but as is so often the case I didn't make my point as clear as it should be .. how many Euro artistes have had a huge worldwide effect through their own indigenous musical culture and have not 'copied' UK/US sounds .. as @CharltonMadrid has opined, things are changing .. BUT English influence (including US) still rules ((:>)
  • Options
    My favourite band, now I'm off to the potting shed to relax. 
  • Options
    How the hell did we get from Pink Floyd to Milli Vanili ?
    How the hell did we get from Pink Floyd to Milli Vanili ?

don't ask .. like Google/wiki .. you start off looking at Dutch flower arranging and end up reading up on Mongolian camel herding, at least that's what happens to me ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Many.

TBH, there are not many who come close to PF !

IMO, U2 are nowhere close.

This x1000
  • Options
    Some big worldwide stars who didn't have American or English influence would include Pavarotti, Jose Iglesias and his son Enrique and also Shakira. Note that worldwide doesn't necessarily mean chart toppers in UK but these are all or have been huge over the world.
  • Options
    Andre Rieu and James Last... :D;)
  • Options
    Brilliant early stuff, even Division Bell ok. 
    Big but they became like the Who. A front couple and all session musicians behind them.
    although the Roger Walters The Wall concerts were very good.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Only ever present member was the drummer though, Nick Mason. Keyboardist Richard Wright played on every tour as well.
  • Options
    I remember seeing them once. The Dark Side of the Moon concert at Earls Ct. Must have been 1973. I always have preferred their earlier stuff. 

Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother were big parts of my psychedelic youth. 

See Emily Play was an early single that did well in the charts. Flip side I believe was Arnold Lane which was also pretty good. 
  • Options

I love PF, but Another Brick in the Wall is dreadful.

The disco beat ain’t to everyone’s taste but seeing it live as as 16 year old with Gilmour on top of the wall playing an extended solo was pretty special.

• Options
    I’ve seen the Aussie Floyd a number of times, last time at Rochester Castle last year. Bloody good evenings entertainment. I particularly like the way they vary the tracks, some of the earlier stuff and put a little of their own improvisation and take on some classics.
  • Options
    Brilliant early stuff, even Division Bell ok. 
    Big but they became like the Who. A front couple and all session musicians behind them.
    although the Roger Walters The Wall concerts were very good.
    Richard Wright played with both Gilmour and Walters, so I wouldnt class him as a session musician. And Guy Pratt is certainly no slouch!