Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackburn v Charlton | Sat 03 Aug 2019 | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Off_it said:
    Said it on match thread, fuck the doom merchants on here having a dig whenever possible, pisses me off the site is being overrun with wankers lately trying to score points.
    Can't wait for Stoke at home and honestly don't care if we lose. 
    It's Charlton. 
    Lol.

A bit like you just then?
    I would rather be a wanker than somebody who doesn't understand football. 
  • Views from Tony Mowbray

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17814380.tony-mowbrays-verdict-rovers-beaten-home-charlton/

Tony Mowbray felt Rovers’ attacking play was just as much at fault for the home defeat to Charlton despite more defensive frailties.
    Rovers shipped 69 goals last season and conceded from two balls in to their box as the Championship new-boys left 2-1 winners.
    Four new signings were included in the starting XI, but Manchester City loanee Tosin Adarabioyo, the sole defensive addition so far, wasn’t involved after only signing on Wednesday.
    Mowbray hasn’t ruled out further defensive additions before the transfer window shuts, with all four players who lined up in defence against the Addicks having been with the club for the last two seasons.
    “We’ve highlighted it,” Mowbray said of more defensive woes.
    “Tosin is in the building. He’s only had one day training and isn’t at the level that he needs to be.
    “Hopefully he will have a good week training and we’ll see where he needs to be.
    “We’ve identified where we need to improve and are trying to do that in the transfer window.
    “We’ll see if we can help that over the next week or so.
    “If  we don’t then we have to improve the players we’ve got.
    “It’s harsh to say it’s the back four, or his fault and his fault.
    “A football team is a football team and you have to work hard in and out of possession.
    “I would suggest we lost the game because of our inability to put the right quality in to the box at the right time, just as much as our inability to defend our own box.
    “It’s a bit simplistic to say ‘same back four, same results’.
    “It runs a bit deeper than that. Let’s keep working.
    “We’ve had five new faces, four of them played today. We have to bed them in, keep believing, keep pushing hard and have a good season, one that everyone can enjoy.”
    Rovers have until 5pm on Thursday to further strengthen their squad, and the boss added: “We are constantly trying to strengthen the team in every window.
    “If the right player comes along and the deal is right and suits us we'll do it.
    “There’s a potential for that and if not we will get on.
    “I’ve brought Tosin in so that won’t be the back four soon.
    “We’ve changed the goalkeeper, we’ve brought in a centre half, we’ve got a new midfield player, the team is moving on, it’s progressing and will hopefully evolve in to a good team in this
    league.”
    Rovers fell behind to Ben Purrington’s goal just before the break but equalised 10 minutes after the break through an own goal.
    They were on top as they game ticked in to the final quarter, only for Lyle Taylor to tap home with 14 minutes to play, with Rovers unable to respond as the visitors saw the game out comfortably.
    “Ultimately we’re left frustrated” Mowbray added.
    “I thought there was some good stuff, domination of the ball, but the frustration was the quality of the ball in to the box, the final pass, the clinical side of the game to score and create chances.
    “Our Achilles heel from last year was there.
    “The goals in isolation, I might say, but that’s football.
    “They came and played five at the back, four in front and one up top and it was difficult.
    “It was tough to get through, but no-one says that you can’t come and defend and make life difficult for the home team and they did that.
    “We needed better quality when you’re in their half of the pitch, picking the right pass, be more clinical.
    “They didn’t have to work hard for their goals, particularly the second one, the nature of getting the corner from a throw-in.
    “Then we’ve worked hard on trying to get first contact from set plays and the fact we didn’t, it’s in our net and then the last 20 minutes we had to go chasing.
    “We went too long and direct and it didn’t get us the rewards. They managed the game well, slowed it down, so we’re left frustrated with a defeat on the opening day.
    “We came away with a defeat because of our inability to deal with a corner.
    “At 1-1 there felt like only one winner.
    “We were camped around their box, we brought Danny Graham on because of all the balls flying across the box and if anyone knows how to finish those then it’s Danny.”
  • edited August 2019
    .”
    Views from Tony Mowbray

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17814380.tony-mowbrays-verdict-rovers-beaten-home-charlton/

Tony Mowbray felt Rovers’ attacking play was just as much at fault for the home defeat to Charlton despite more defensive frailties.
    Rovers shipped 69 goals last season and conceded from two balls in to their box as the Championship new-boys left 2-1 winners.
    Four new signings were included in the starting XI, but Manchester City loanee Tosin Adarabioyo, the sole defensive addition so far, wasn’t involved after only signing on Wednesday.
    Mowbray hasn’t ruled out further defensive additions before the transfer window shuts, with all four players who lined up in defence against the Addicks having been with the club for the last two seasons.
    “We’ve highlighted it,” Mowbray said of more defensive woes.
    “Tosin is in the building. He’s only had one day training and isn’t at the level that he needs to be.
    “Hopefully he will have a good week training and we’ll see where he needs to be.
    “We’ve identified where we need to improve and are trying to do that in the transfer window.
    “We’ll see if we can help that over the next week or so.
    “If  we don’t then we have to improve the players we’ve got.
    “It’s harsh to say it’s the back four, or his fault and his fault.
    “A football team is a football team and you have to work hard in and out of possession.
    “I would suggest we lost the game because of our inability to put the right quality in to the box at the right time, just as much as our inability to defend our own box.
    “It’s a bit simplistic to say ‘same back four, same results’.
    “It runs a bit deeper than that. Let’s keep working.
    “We’ve had five new faces, four of them played today. We have to bed them in, keep believing, keep pushing hard and have a good season, one that everyone can enjoy.”
    Rovers have until 5pm on Thursday to further strengthen their squad, and the boss added: “We are constantly trying to strengthen the team in every window.
    “If the right player comes along and the deal is right and suits us we'll do it.
    “There’s a potential for that and if not we will get on.
    “I’ve brought Tosin in so that won’t be the back four soon.
    “We’ve changed the goalkeeper, we’ve brought in a centre half, we’ve got a new midfield player, the team is moving on, it’s progressing and will hopefully evolve in to a good team in this
    league.”
    Rovers fell behind to Ben Purrington’s goal just before the break but equalised 10 minutes after the break through an own goal.
    They were on top as they game ticked in to the final quarter, only for Lyle Taylor to tap home with 14 minutes to play, with Rovers unable to respond as the visitors saw the game out comfortably.
    “Ultimately we’re left frustrated” Mowbray added.
    “I thought there was some good stuff, domination of the ball, but the frustration was the quality of the ball in to the box, the final pass, the clinical side of the game to score and create chances.
    “Our Achilles heel from last year was there.
    “The goals in isolation, I might say, but that’s football.
    “They came and played five at the back, four in front and one up top and it was difficult.
    “It was tough to get through, but no-one says that you can’t come and defend and make life difficult for the home team and they did that.
    “We needed better quality when you’re in their half of the pitch, picking the right pass, be more clinical.
    “They didn’t have to work hard for their goals, particularly the second one, the nature of getting the corner from a throw-in.
    “Then we’ve worked hard on trying to get first contact from set plays and the fact we didn’t, it’s in our net and then the last 20 minutes we had to go chasing.
    “We went too long and direct and it didn’t get us the rewards. They managed the game well, slowed it down, so we’re left frustrated with a defeat on the opening day.
    “We came away with a defeat because of our inability to deal with a corner.
    “At 1-1 there felt like only one winner.
    “We were camped around their box, we brought Danny Graham on because of all the balls flying across the box and if anyone knows how to finish those then it’s Danny.”

old Tone is another manager who is probably a bit too set in his ways .. has had a good career, perhaps time to errrrr go ? .. did I say old .. he's 'only' 55, just appears to be about 85
  • edited August 2019

Detailed stats from the game, Blackburn are on the left with Charlton on the right. 

Amount of times we were dispossessed and intercepted is the worry. 
  • IR94 said:
    tony mowbray must be the ugliest manager in the world, face like a disgruntled goblin
    IR94 said:
    tony mowbray must be the ugliest manager in the world, face like a disgruntled goblin

Steve Bruce would give him a good run for his money in that category
  • IR94 said:

I've heard he has a lovely family

• IR94 said:
    IR94 said:

Steve Bruce would give him a good run for his money in that category
    Dowie wins.
    End of.
    Dowie wins the ex manager now rubbish pundit award
  • Sponsored links:

• Big chances seems to have overlooked the JFC miss from Morgan's pass.
    Was a pretty good save from Walton
  • Did Tony say ' we should be beating teams like Charlton ' ?
  • Does it have to be a goal to be a big chance?
  • Did Tony say ' we should be beating teams like Charlton ' ?
    he did .. soppy ol munter
    Sorry see what you mean by your original post now
  • JFC chance for 1-3 at the death (great work from Albie Morgan)

That was crying out for a first time strike with his right foot.
    I thought the same at the time but looking at his body I wonder if he didnt have the room to adjust himself with the Blackburn player tracking back
  • edited August 2019
    Big chances seems to have overlooked the JFC miss from Morgan's pass.
    It was a good block rather than a bad miss.
    Taylor had more space to the right of Albie but it was still a well executed pass and I defo don't want Morgan to go out on loan.

• But surely counts as a Big Chance.
  • Sponsored links:

Taylor had more space to the right of Albie but it was still a well executed pass and I defo don't want Morgan to go out on loan.

Yeah we can play "what if" but it was not a bad decision or even a bad shot. The keeper did well.
  • I think the reason it would be good to go out on loan is because he is such an exciting prospect and if he is in the right environment to learn the other elements needed, he will be a terrific asset to us. Of course, he can't go out on loan unless Bowyer brings in the players he needs to, but it isn't because he isn't rated that people see the benefits of a loan for him - quite the opposite. I would liken it to Parker at Norwich.
  • thenewbie said:
    Big chances seems to have overlooked the JFC miss from Morgan's pass.

Yeah we can play "what if" but it was not a bad decision or even a bad shot. The keeper did well.
    Did you read what I said ?
  • JFC wasted that chance, but it didn't cost us so no harm done.
    A big chance is a situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score. 

With the goalkeeper so close maybe they didn't count it. But then again I probably wouldn't have put Taylor's as a big chance either. 
  • On a train back from Birmingham after the cricket. Massively surprised and impressed by the result and performance,  a brilliant boost to morale in a crucial week as Lee tries to finalize his squad. I expected lots of effort and organisation but feared our lack of attacking quality would ultimately be crucial.
  • Currently sat at Oxford services, it was a proper smash and grab performance superb tactics from bowyer and Jackson. Well worth the 9 hour round car journey up the reds!!!