Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - first league goal for Chelsea (p77)

Comments

• Talal said:
    Went on The Shed to see what Chelsea fans made of him and saw this

That was posted by a charlton fan.
    I guessed that from the username
    Ok. From your comment I read it as though you were saying it was from a Chelsea fan. 
  • edited October 2019
    I think he is a bit more competitive than Beckham - that bit reminds me more of Bowyer strangely enough - he has bits of a lot of players. Chelsea need to appreciate what they have got and let us develop him for them. He will be in their side and playing for England soon enough. In the meantime, let us enjoy him. He needs the time, but he is going to be far better than Mount, far better IMO.
  • I’m not sure Conor Beckham is quite right although I do see the similarities.

The way he pops up inside and on the edge of the box reminds me of Lampard. His tireless work rate and technical ability reminds me of Beckham.
    He reminds me of Conner Gallagher. Born Chelsea, grew up Charlton.

Really wish the lad well in life. Smashing lad, talented footballer.

• Okay, the public have spoken - now pick your favourite goal from the following efforts today! 🗳️⬇️
    25 minutes to go

Gallagher-38%
    Cosgrove-24%
    Ruddock Mpanzu-20%
    Ward-18%
  • edited October 2019
    Final Results

Gallagher-37%
    Cosgrove-25%
    Ruddock Mpanzu-20%
    Ward-17%

Dont ask me what happened to the other 1%
  • He plays very similar to steven gerrard I think. Great on the ball and gets into the box well. Fantastic young talent. Seems like he has a sensible head as well
  • He plays very similar to steven gerrard I think. Great on the ball and gets into the box well. Fantastic young talent. Seems like he has a sensible head as well
    Definitely more Gerrard than Lampard.
  • He’s a Bowyer or Gerrard style British box to box goalscoring midfielder.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    If he had a different haircut then the Beckham comparisons wouldn’t be coming up at all. Two completely different players. 
    Totally agree. Has way more pace than Beckham, and much better tackler.

Beckham, however, was excellent at dead ball delivery.

I would imagine the Gallagher isn't as good, because if he was doing it in training, Bows would have had him on corners and free kicks by now!
  • cafctom said:
    If he had a different haircut then the Beckham comparisons wouldn’t be coming up at all. Two completely different players. 
    Totally agree. Has way more pace than Beckham, and much better tackler.

Beckham, however, was excellent at dead ball delivery.

I would imagine the Gallagher isn't as good, because if he was doing it in training, Bows would have had him on corners and free kicks by now!
    Believe me, Conor has a mean free kick on him. I’m sure we will see it sometime this season.

What a player he is though, can’t believe how good he is and he’s only 19. Unreal and going right to the very top.
  • Got to say though, he’s this good now, just imagine what he’s going to be like in 6 months time after being coached further on a daily basis by Bow and Jacko. Wow.

The good thing too is that they know how good he is but know the areas of the game they can improve him on, and where he’s so keen and will do everything asked of him and more, he’ll learn and develop quickly.

Chelsea have got themselves a really, really top player. Miles better than Mount (who I don’t rate anyway). It’s just a pleasure watching him perform the way he does right now. Let’s enjoy it whilst he’s here.
  • Rudders22 said:
    Thanks for posting that interview Callum. What a smashing lad he is.  Having watched Charlton since 1986 I haven't seen too many young players that have stood out (without going on loan although technically Conor is not one of our own). Sometimes you watch a player and think WOW this one has a lot of potential.  Watching him against Swansea doing those turns in midfield I was joking to a friend "Alright Conor it is getting a bit boring now (after doing another turn). I was in the away end at Fulham near the halfway line and 2 players stood out for us. J.Williams who faded after an hour at Conor. 

The players that stood out when young for me Parker, Bowyer, Gomez and now Gallagher. 

Unlike Beckham at his age, there is no petulance from him, level headed, appreciates the talent he has, and works hard for the team (and is not a billy big time from Chelsea), and willing to learn and graft. 

Watching England on Friday I can't help thinking Conor will be in that team in the next couple of years if he develops how is at the moment and running that midfield. 
    The amount of times I have sat at the Valley this season and thought back to all those years ago when Preston had Becks on loan with them and how they were watching a star in the making.
    It feels like that as well. 

To think he is only 19 so hopefully we could get another 20 years out of him.
             ----------------------

My thinking to Rudders, to your list of outstanding youngsters I would add Jonjo Shelvey.

It may seem premature to say this but I can see Conor playing for the full England team In 3 or 4 years time.

The youngster plays with his head up, rarely needing to look at the ball at his feet. A sign of an exceptional player.

• He is an exceptional talent and what surprises me the most is his battling attitude. He is a tough tackler and doesn't give up on getting the ball back.

I'm just enjoying watching him play.
  • Nice article in The Athletic (if you're a subscriber) on Gallagher.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1310539/2019/10/22/from-heart-surgery-to-championship-star-will-gallagher-be-the-next-chelsea-academy-kid-to-break-through/

“Before I came, I didn’t know what Charlton was like,” he admits. “I’d heard they were favourites to come bottom of the Championship and get relegated. I was just hoping I’d do my best to keep them up, but after seeing how the players are and how the whole club is, I think we can do a lot more. Everyone works so hard as a team. It’s aiming high but I’d like to push for the play-offs.”
  • Baby Bowyer. 
  • I love this kid and reckon he’s going all the way but feel he needs a rest of some sort but we haven’t got the bodies to do it .
    Hope we don’t burn him out for this season because he’s beyond exceptional .
    saying that a couple of times yesterday he was still a class above with his magic feet in the box, unlucky not to score again .
  • Sponsored links:

• should've played a simple square ball in the second half for Leko (I think?) to tap home.

his quietest game so far last night, but he's been exceptional for us so far and is a fantastic talent. Agree he could probably do with a break, but at the moment that's looking unlikely.

he's destined for the top that's for sure.
  • I love this kid and reckon he’s going all the way but feel he needs a rest of some sort but we haven’t got the bodies to do it .
    Hope we don’t burn him out for this season because he’s beyond exceptional .
    saying that a couple of times yesterday he was still a class above with his magic feet in the box, unlucky not to score again .
    Maybe Preston is a good time to rest him? Kayal could come in. At least means he won't be suspended for Millwall.
  • edited October 2019
    I hope he suggested that Pulisic wasn't ready for Premier League football and could do with 6 months under Lee Bowyer as well!
  • For some reason embedded tweets from calum aren't showing. What does it say?
    Gallagher is being recalled on the 1st January
    Post has 7 likes. Must try harder.
  • edited October 2019
    For some reason embedded tweets from calum aren't showing. What does it say?
    Balls!!... Should think a bit harder too 😂

Lampard is delighted with his form here and will be staying for the entirety of the season
    “ Just been chatting to Frank Lampard about Connor Gallagher. He’s delighted with his #cafc form and says we def have for him for the season!