Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD calls out Duchatelet's latest lies and plans new protest moves

Comments

• Options
    Having experienced the St Truiden plod first hand, I found them pretty reasonable towards us, much more so the Duchatalet's goons. Indeed, they threatened one of them with arrest (from what I could make out) if they interfered any further.

• Options
    Mametz said:
    Sorry,he wont give a toss about a protest at Belgian Embassy.
    The only way is to embarass him in his own town.
    This 100 per cent.
    Protesting at the embassy might get a few lines and a small photo in the Belgian press. He won't worry about that.

Although more complicated and more expensive, " hurting" him in his own town is more efficient. 

A few people spending a few minutes with spray cans gave him apoplexy.
    I don't quite agree with you there. 

What is our overall strategy, that makes S-T an important tactical venue? I'd suggest it is to target his ego, influencing those whose opinions of him he cares about. So we suspect that he hangs around S-T because he feels loved an appreciated by many there, whereas he probably will never set foot in Liege again if he can possibly avoid it. I believe that the other group he cares about are Belgium's business elite, his peer-group. And then that peer group is influenced for example by the senior managers they employ and also the various other influential groups around business.

One such group are Embassies, and I know a bit of which I speak here. The fact is that in any Belgian Embassy, RD and any of his local management will be treated preferentially. His companies are Big in Belgium. But at the same time, Embassy staff will give discreet feedback to such people about external noise which might affect their reputations. Unfortunately for us, and AFAIK, his companies don't have a big footprint in the UK. On the other hand, which Belgian companies do, and Embassy staff will be well aware that RD is routinely described in virtually all media as a "Belgian businessman". By now, and thanks to @Davo55 initiative, they have already decided that his antics at Charlton are not helpful to Belgium, NV. 

So while I agree that S-T is the main focus, anything which is a route to influencing his reputation with his Belgian peer group is well worth it. 

Two more points. One, its a war of attrition. No one event will be do-or-die. In that sense it is different to the Valley Party. So in one sense we must focus, but so long as we all understand our overall strategy, all kinds of people can do all kinds of things, big and small, which bug him. And by bugging him we disrupt his "2%" time allocation. Which I suspect he really hates, and would be a compelling reason for him to think "oh, sod it, I need to just sell this thing"

Two, a side effect of communal protests is that people get to know each other, ideas are pooled, working groups set up. I think most people who went to S-T really enjoyed it, and I personally met several fine people on that trip whom I previously only knew as names on here. The personal group involvement sustains a protest movement for the long haul, just as the shared experiences of great games, home and away, are what keep us close to our club and stop us from drifting away.

Trying to work out how to justify holidays in the ex-Belgian colonies?

More seriously I do agree that all Belgian embassies in any country across the world will have direct links back into seriously high up levels of Belgian society. 

You, @PragueAddick could approach the Belgian ambassador to the Czech Republic, in the same week other overseas based fans could do the same. If everyone could contribute we could have discussions with senior diplomats in at least (apologies for missing some countries out and also for not completely respecting that in some countries this may not be possible (esp 5th on list))

France; Spain; US; Thailand; China; Germany; Portugal; Luxembourg; UK

I think this would be more than a thorn in Duchâtelet’s side particularly if the discussions become ongoing. Coordination would massively increase the impact. 

The Belgian MEPs May also be interested in receiving updates. 
  • Options
    IMHO the only things the really piss him off are illegal - eg the graffiti (long may it continue).
    Wonder if Del Boy has still got any of that luminous paint left over , from when he painted his mum's gravestone in the cemetery ?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I spoke to the Police Chief at the march and he seemed to think he was doing us a big favour and that we were lucky to be there at all......Huh....some favour!
    He definitely had ‘attitude’ and certainly didn’t appreciate us being there......as for CAFC he obviously couldn’t give a toss......no reason why he should of course.
    Very very firmly in The Helmets pocket, no question whatsoever......a Masonic connection maybe?
    Half of the march was through backstreets and deserted trading estates......nowhere near the town centre.
    We then weren’t allowed within 200 yards of the stadium, our way blocked by a steel barrier and a police cordon.
    He had a dismissive, disinterested aura about him, I was left feeling he was looking down his nose at us, which I took personally, given the countless thousands of British troops who fought and gave their lives on Belgian soil in two World Wars.......and yes, I do mean that!
    The remaining cops seemed quite the opposite and were quite friendly, if a little puzzled at how peaceful we were.

• Options
    Just putting this 'out there' - the Sint Truiden Saturday market in the main square is a big highlight for the Town.
    Now, if it wasnt able to function properly one Saturday then this would cause huge ripples in the Town and negativity towards RD
    Or could backfire badly. We want the people on our side, not piss them off.
    If they're not willing to help, do we really need 'em onside?
    YES!!

Apart from anything else, the police are partly in RD's pocket, and last mass protest took careful negotiation before it could happen. This time, we will be able to truthfully say that most people in S-T agreed we were no trouble and enjoyed hosting us, so please let us return.
    Surely articles 12 and 14 of the HRA ensure you don't need to keep the police onside, they get to enforce the law, not write it.

I don't personally don't see anything wrong with President's suggestion, assuming it remains within the law.
  • Options
    Could we ask Boris to go and have a word with RD when he’s next over In Belgium after he’s finished renegotiating Brexit? 
  • Options
    I think I recall Seth offering to set himself ablaze.
    I think that would have an effect on the whole town :smile:
    Perfect, Seth, when can you do it?

If Seth is taking one for the club get him out to Belgium & do the deed while standing next to & handcuffing himself to the Belgian 
  • Options
    Just putting this 'out there' - the Sint Truiden Saturday market in the main square is a big highlight for the Town.
    Now, if it wasnt able to function properly one Saturday then this would cause huge ripples in the Town and negativity towards RD
    Wasn't the previous march in ST on a saturday ?
  • Options
    The meet up for the friendship march wasn't in the town square - though there certainly wasn't a market on - but maybe because it was absolutely pissing it down.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Wasn't the previous march in ST on a saturday ?

yes - but we were explicitly told we couldnt go near the Markt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've had enough of the 'lets not upset the locals' method. Its not done anything and we've got nowhere by being 'nice'.

Its time to do some serious protesting, on the edge, not this stupid powder puff stuff that we have done so far. Its time to get real, and forget about whether we are upseting St Truidians or not - its time to put RD in the spotlight by being nasty (though just legal) to the locals.

Anyone who thinks we can be the nice friendly fans again, can just put up with RD for another x years.

Lets not pussy foot about this time. Do you want him out or not ?? 

• Options

tbh all the Police dealings that i had on the March were very complimentary to me/us - not at all condescending - including the bloke with the Thunderbirds hat who apparently was in charge of the Police that day (even though he only looked about 16 years old).

I even had a beer with a couple of the plain clothes blokes who were  monitoring us that day (as i sussed out they were following us, and got to chat with them) in the bar at Stayen and they said that it was one of the easiest days they had, and wished us good luck.

• Options

I've had enough of the 'lets not upset the locals' method. Its not done anything and we've got nowhere by being 'nice'.

Its time to do some serious protesting, on the edge, not this stupid powder puff stuff that we have done so far. Its time to get real, and forget about whether we are upseting St Truidians or not - its time to put RD in the spotlight by being nasty (though just legal) to the locals.

Anyone who thinks we can be the nice friendly fans again, can just put up with RD for another x years.

Lets not pussy foot about this time. Do you want him out or not ?? 

Completely agree with you prez.

This is our club and the future of it is now a really big concern.

May 26th feels like a long time ago. Nothing has improved....it has in fact only gotten worse.

Which is a strange thing to say....considering we got 3 points at Blackburn in our 1st game!

Charlton Athletic.

The club that won't ever give up! Even if our mega rich extremely angry old owner constantly attempts to stick the knife...whenever he has the available opportunity to do so. 
  • Options
    YES!!

Apart from anything else, the police are partly in RD's pocket, and last mass protest took careful negotiation before it could happen. This time, we will be able to truthfully say that most people in S-T agreed we were no trouble and enjoyed hosting us, so please let us return.
    Surely articles 12 and 14 of the HRA ensure you don't need to keep the police onside, they get to enforce the law, not write it.

I don't personally don't see anything wrong with President's suggestion, assuming it remains within the law.
    I'll leave the CARD guys to answer the first part of your observation, if they can be bothered.

What is wrong with the suggestion to disrupt the market is:

1. Our argument is not with the citizens of Sint-Truiden, including the traders who make a living from that market, and might not take such disruption calmly.

2. Many of them, if you ask them, don't like him themselves.

3. But few have such an active issue with him that they would not be pissed off with the disruption of their market over something most don't know anything about.

4. And RD, knowing that, will make a huge PR thing about how he as already said that we are useless thuggish vinegar-pissers, and now the whole of Sint -Truiden can see it.

We need to focus on things which he is connected to and cares about.
    Do you not think it's possible that they'd then put pressure on RD, so that he stops having people coming over causing them problems?

Thankfully, if there's as many police as last time, those market traders will have to take it calmly, again, assuming protests are within the limits of the law, which is, imo, a key point. So, no, we wouldn't look like thugs at all, no one is talking about going and smashing a market up.
  • Options
    I’d like to volunteer in going to Australia for a few weeks to put pressure on GM and Muir to  buy the club regardless of the price (cos we are worth it!). Of course this would depend on CARD sponsorship on all expenses paid trip. I will try not to like being there if that would sway the decision. 
  • Options
    YES!!

I'll leave the CARD guys to answer the first part of your observation, if they can be bothered.

1. Our argument is not with the citizens of Sint-Truiden, including the traders who make a living from that market, and might not take such disruption calmly.

3. But few have such an active issue with him that they would not be pissed off with the disruption of their market over something most don't know anything about.

4. And RD, knowing that, will make a huge PR thing about how he as already said that we are useless thuggish vinegar-pissers, and now the whole of Sint -Truiden can see it.

TBH...

1) Of course they wont take it calmly - thats the whole point, however, if there is 100 of us and 50 of them , who is going to 'win'? -  it will need Police intervention, which they(traders) wont take kindly to.

3) They certainly would be pissed off with loss of takings caused by something ' they dont know anything about' - again, thats the whole point.

4) Who cares any more? Is this a demonstration to try to embarass RD , or are we going there to do a bit a bit of Morris dancing with CARD and B20, Rot stickers /leaflets to improve Charlton-Belgium relations worried about what the locals might think of us? 

My point is we cant continue with the current tried and trusted methods that simply havnt worked.

I've spoken with RD on a few occassions in the past - i almost sorta know how he 'works' - he doesnt like to be embarassed in his home town, and his outbursts in the past have all co-incided with a 'visit' to ST (Slade sacking, and the Ebbsfleet website message being a key example).

I've had enough of being nice - lets get nasty.

• Options
    Yeah...Let’s poke our tongues out n’all. 
  • Options
    Based purely on my own vibe from the taxi event, and the march, I would say Roland only has to pick up the phone to the police in ST and get his 'concerns' actioned as an ST police priority.
  • Options
    YES!!

TBH...

1) Of course they wont take it calmly - thats the whole point, however, if there is 100 of us and 50 of them , who is going to 'win'? -  it will need Police intervention, which they(traders) wont take kindly to.

3) They certainly would be pissed off with loss of takings caused by something ' they dont know anything about' - again, thats the whole point.

4) Who cares any more? Is this a demonstration to try to embarass RD , or are we going there to do a bit a bit of Morris dancing with CARD and B20, Rot stickers /leaflets to improve Charlton-Belgium relations worried about what the locals might think of us? 

My point is we cant continue with the current tried and trusted methods that simply havnt worked.

I've spoken with RD on a few occassions in the past - i almost sorta know how he 'works' - he doesnt like to be embarassed in his home town, and his outbursts in the past have all co-incided with a 'visit' to ST (Slade sacking, and the Ebbsfleet website message being a key example).

I've had enough of being nice - lets get nasty.

At 5 seconds to 3 on Saturday run on to the pitch and lock yourself to the goalpost. It will take about 15 minutes to get you released. Job done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Based purely on my own vibe from the taxi event, and the march, I would say Roland only has to pick up the phone to the police in ST and get his 'concerns' actioned as an ST police priority.

Of course,thats a given, but if there is 100 of us being relatively peaceful, then it gives the OB a problem - a problem they would not be expecting, and therefore would not have the resources to deal with it immediately.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’d like to volunteer in going to Australia for a few weeks to put pressure on GM and Muir to  buy the club regardless of the price (cos we are worth it!). Of course this would depend on CARD sponsorship on all expenses paid trip. I will try not to like being there if that would sway the decision. 
    I fly to Melbourne tomorrow for 3 weeks, to clarify not on CARDs expenses or the protest fund! Back in time for glamorous trips to Reading and Wigan
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    This 100 per cent.
    Protesting at the embassy might get a few lines and a small photo in the Belgian press. He won't worry about that.

Although more complicated and more expensive, " hurting" him in his own town is more efficient. 

What is our overall strategy, that makes S-T an important tactical venue? I'd suggest it is to target his ego, influencing those whose opinions of him he cares about. So we suspect that he hangs around S-T because he feels loved an appreciated by many there, whereas he probably will never set foot in Liege again if he can possibly avoid it. I believe that the other group he cares about are Belgium's business elite, his peer-group. And then that peer group is influenced for example by the senior managers they employ and also the various other influential groups around business.

One such group are Embassies, and I know a bit of which I speak here. The fact is that in any Belgian Embassy, RD and any of his local management will be treated preferentially. His companies are Big in Belgium. But at the same time, Embassy staff will give discreet feedback to such people about external noise which might affect their reputations. Unfortunately for us, and AFAIK, his companies don't have a big footprint in the UK. On the other hand, which Belgian companies do, and Embassy staff will be well aware that RD is routinely described in virtually all media as a "Belgian businessman". By now, and thanks to @Davo55 initiative, they have already decided that his antics at Charlton are not helpful to Belgium, NV. 

So while I agree that S-T is the main focus, anything which is a route to influencing his reputation with his Belgian peer group is well worth it. 

Two more points. One, its a war of attrition. No one event will be do-or-die. In that sense it is different to the Valley Party. So in one sense we must focus, but so long as we all understand our overall strategy, all kinds of people can do all kinds of things, big and small, which bug him. And by bugging him we disrupt his "2%" time allocation. Which I suspect he really hates, and would be a compelling reason for him to think "oh, sod it, I need to just sell this thing"

Two, a side effect of communal protests is that people get to know each other, ideas are pooled, working groups set up. I think most people who went to S-T really enjoyed it, and I personally met several fine people on that trip whom I previously only knew as names on here. The personal group involvement sustains a protest movement for the long haul, just as the shared experiences of great games, home and away, are what keep us close to our club and stop us from drifting away.

More seriously I do agree that all Belgian embassies in any country across the world will have direct links back into seriously high up levels of Belgian society. 

You, @PragueAddick could approach the Belgian ambassador to the Czech Republic, in the same week other overseas based fans could do the same. If everyone could contribute we could have discussions with senior diplomats in at least (apologies for missing some countries out and also for not completely respecting that in some countries this may not be possible (esp 5th on list))

I think this would be more than a thorn in Duchâtelet’s side particularly if the discussions become ongoing. Coordination would massively increase the impact. 

I live in France full time so would like to help from here.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Mametz said:
    This 100 per cent.

Belgian Embassy in Lux is about 10 mins walk from my office. - Rue des Girondins.
  • Options
    I spoke to the Police Chief at the march and he seemed to think he was doing us a big favour and that we were lucky to be there at all......Huh....some favour!
    He definitely had ‘attitude’ and certainly didn’t appreciate us being there......as for CAFC he obviously couldn’t give a toss......no reason why he should of course.
    Very very firmly in The Helmets pocket, no question whatsoever......a Masonic connection maybe?
    Half of the march was through backstreets and deserted trading estates......nowhere near the town centre.
    We then weren’t allowed within 200 yards of the stadium, our way blocked by a steel barrier and a police cordon.
    He had a dismissive, disinterested aura about him, I was left feeling he was looking down his nose at us, which I took personally, given the countless thousands of British troops who fought and gave their lives on Belgian soil in two World Wars.......and yes, I do mean that!
    The remaining cops seemed quite the opposite and were quite friendly, if a little puzzled at how peaceful we were.

Not my recollection at all. We were initially provided with a route that was entirely outside of town from the cattle market to a long distance from the stadium. 

During the the course of the day we managed to get them to flex that so the march started in the centre of town and then they also moved the end point to much closer to the stadium also allowing through the barrier anyone staying at a Stayen or with match tickets for the game.

overall the police chief was much more helpful than we expected mainly as a result of the exemplary behaviour of all the people marching. 

While it it is true that elements of the senior administration of Sint Truiden are swayed by the views of Duchâtelet I do not believe they are as beholden or subservient to him as he likes to think they are. 
  • Options

tbh all the Police dealings that i had on the March were very complimentary to me/us - not at all condescending - including the bloke with the Thunderbirds hat who apparently was in charge of the Police that day (even though he only looked about 16 years old).

I even had a beer with a couple of the plain clothes blokes who were  monitoring us that day (as i sussed out they were following us, and got to chat with them) in the bar at Stayen and they said that it was one of the easiest days they had, and wished us good luck.

That wasn’t the police chief you spoke to.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    This 100 per cent.

Actually, I think this idea could work - there are lots of countries where we know there are Addicks who post on here - add Spain, Canada, Australia & New Zealand to the list, and I am sure there are many more where peaceful protest would not be a problem.  The question is whether enough Overseas Addicks would be prepared to stand outside their nearest Belgian Embassy on the chosen day waving a suitable banner and / or requesting an interview with a member of the Ambassador's staff.

As for RD not being bothered, I disagree.  Wasn't it immediately after the meeting at the Belgian Embassy in London that RD called us "soft terrorists" in another of his rants?

Politically, he is a bit of a "Farage" in his own back yard, having founded his own political party when he couldn't find one to fit - and unlike Farage he has been elected to his national Parliament.  So being known amongst the diplomatic circle as a figure of ridicule rather than a figure of gravitas would certainly dent his ego and his reputation. 

And whereas a few English football fans protesting at the Belgian Embassy in England did not raise much adverse publicity for him in the Belgian papers, I think a coordinated world-wide protest might just grab press attention in the way the pink pigs did. 
  • Options
    HarryLime said:
    Image result for man in shadows

This is him
    A smooth criminal
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Of course,thats a given, but if there is 100 of us being relatively peaceful, then it gives the OB a problem - a problem they would not be expecting, and therefore would not have the resources to deal with it immediately.
    The problem is when you talk about getting nasty and a 100 people involved there has to be a lot of trust involved.
    Youve had your chat about the dos and donts, your out in belgium for the protest giving a little bit of aggro then all of a sudden it starts to go a bit pear shaped.
    Are the belgian police just going to nick the half a dozen involved or nick everyone.
    Sorry Mr President we dont give two shits you were part of the group.
    99.8% of our fans dont want that b@llocks