Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why did LB decide to stay?

2»

Comments

• Options
    NugNug
    edited August 2019
    He can't lose, if we get relegated no one can blame him, if we stay up he's worked a miracle.
    Agreed and if it really is a shit show around Christmas and RD is still here he will probably get tempted away by one of the numerous jobs that will come up.
  • Options
    Didn't Roland publicly say that the deal offered to LB was 6 times his last contract. Now his last one may well have been pretty poor, surely it was at least £80,000 a year. So LB decided to stay for £500,000 per annum. 

...?..
  • Options
    Didn't Roland publicly say that the deal offered to LB was 6 times his last contract. Now his last one may well have been pretty poor, surely it was at least £80,000 a year. So LB decided to stay for £500,000 per annum. 

...?..
    It's the reason we have such a small budget for the squad. Lee, of course knows this. :smiley:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I reckon Bowyer's still here for 2 reasons:

1) He's got the right coaching team around him and he feels he's building something long term.

2) The challenge is everything. He's testing himself and accumulating valuable experience.

Both true, I think. But we've also been lucky that there have been relatively few manager jobs going over this close season. I think his loyalty would have been tested if a job in his target range (Brentford, for example) had come up.
  • Options
    Far out prediction.....I believe the end of his one year contract next summer will coincide with Newcastle realizing they need a better manager. If we stay up on this budget, Bowyer will get a lot of press. Newcastle offers him £1-2 mil per year and he bolts. Rightly so. Lee was far more popular at Newcastle as a player than he was here. And I think he would actually do great there, especially with a new owner.
  • Options
    He cares and he’s got absolutely nothing to lose 
  • Options
    It’s Leeds that worry me. If they don’t go up this season they could be tempted to have a look at Bowyer. Fans love him and regardless of his Charlton connection I’m confident Lee has a very close connect with Leeds. 
  • Options
    It’s Leeds that worry me. If they don’t go up this season they could be tempted to have a look at Bowyer. Fans love him and regardless of his Charlton connection I’m confident Lee has a very close connect with Leeds. 
    Bowyer has nothing on Bielsa
  • Options
    Salary would have something to do with it 
  • Options
    Think he's said it's because we are on a journey. Though right now that feels like a one way trip to hell in a handcart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I think he stayed because whatever was offered here is better than what was on offer elsewhere.
    I don't agree with that at all. I genuinely think he'd rather be at Charlton, doing well on okay money, than being elsewhere up against it one better money
    I didn’t say what was offered here was better money...
  • Options
    If by that you mean Bielsa is a better manager ? Quite possibly but my point was if Leeds fail to go up again then Bielsa might well decide to leave or indeed be sacked.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    bowyer can do no wrong he can reach hero status this season by beating them slags away and proceeding to chin harris 

He couldn't knock Kieron Dyer out, ffs.
  • Options

...?..
    I think you could use 40% of those numbers and be much nearer to reality
  • Options
    He can’t lose. We go down and Roland gets the blame (unless we got taken over and splashed the cash in Jan - even then he would get blame for what he’s done this summer). He keeps us up and we’re campaigning for a knighthood. 

He will make mistakes this season as he’s still young and experienced but most of those mistakes will still be blamed on Roland. 

If he wants to continue his management career elsewhere clubs also know the position so failure this season will be mostly ignored by them. Working within the resources is admirable and would also have been noted. 
  • Options
    There is a wider political threat which could have serious implications to the profitability of LB's fishing lakes. Perhaps now is the right time to top up the old piggy bank in case his other income stream dries up*.

https://theconversation.com/no-deal-brexit-what-it-could-mean-for-british-tourists-and-air-travel-103357

https://financialtribune.com/articles/people-travel/44651/brexit-impact-on-french-tourism

*See what I did there :wink:
  • Options
    If Leeds don't go up this year, Bielsa is gone. First, he ain't gonna stay in a lower league, even at Leeds, for 3 years. They barely got him back this year. Second, he is being paid £6M per year wages at Leeds! Thats 12x the average in this division. Leeds can't possibly keep paying that.
  • Options
    Professional pride?  You do not come to be a relatively successful footballer without that.
  • Options
    I imagined when LB decided to stay that he'd had some assurances re budget/signings etc. It increasingly looks like he has been royally shafted by RD and I wonder if he has the stomach for the season ahead given his limited resources.
    He should have done a Mel Baroni.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he lives in sevenoaks, learnt his trade and established himself at charlton, is respected by the fans, got us promoted, doesn't need the money, has a young family,  why on earth would he want to go anywhere else right now? he may outgrow us at some point, who knows, but right now i doubt he would want any other job and hopefully the club can grow with him if we can get rid of this lunatic owner 
  • Options
    I think Lee will enjoy the challenge, he will get everything out of the players he has, hopefully some loans by next week and I see Charlton ending mid-table.
    I really hope you’re right, but Bauer, Cullen, Aribo and Bielik were four of our most important players last year, and without them it’s going to be a massive struggle.
    It’s going to be a bumpy ride, but I’m looking forward to it anyway. 
  • Options
    Far out prediction.....I believe the end of his one year contract next summer will coincide with Newcastle realizing they need a better manager. If we stay up on this budget, Bowyer will get a lot of press. Newcastle offers him £1-2 mil per year and he bolts. Rightly so. Lee was far more popular at Newcastle as a player than he was here. And I think he would actually do great there, especially with a new owner.
    Had you even heard of football when Bowyer played for us?
  • Options
    Listening to his pre Blackburn press conference on Valley Pass he sounds like he’s still hoping the takeover will go through, even if it’s a year away, and then he’ll have a chance of taking us further.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I think there are lots of reasons which will include loyalty to us. But I think the biggest reason is the faith he has in himself. He is the sort of manager that looks at what he has got and decides what he needs to do and then he does it. And when I say does it, he hasn't got any experience of not doing it despite the challenges. He has worked out a system to bring in players of quality on the cheap and he believes he will keep us up this year. That is why I think he signed. He will not be shouting from the rooftops how great a manager he is, but he knows it.  That's my theory anyway.
  • Options
    Cos he’s a masochist, who likes chips, beer and fanny.
  • Options
    Because it suited him