Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackburn v Charlton | Sat 03 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington
    Gallagher 
    Pratley, F.Caskey
    Williams
    Bonne, Taylor
    Subs: Amos, Solly, Sarr, Oshilaja, Morgan, Doughty, EMPTY

I genuinely believe this will be how we line up tomorrow. Bow has said enough times that Bonne isn't ready to start so starting him will be a message.

Once again not filling our bench to make a point. (maybe Harriott on the bench as a triallist which still makes a point).
    For starters, you're completely missing Lapslie and we will fill the bench tomorrow.

Secondly, Bonne and Taylor have barely played together all pre-season, if at all. I highly doubt we will start both when Bonne isn't ready and would leave us without a striker in any form on the bench.
    We had enough youth to fill the bench last season and didn't, what makes you think we will this time?

Bowyer has proven he likes two up top. Why would now be any different? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
     (maybe Harriott on the bench as a triallist which still makes a point).
    Surely you cannot name a triallist for a League match?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
     (maybe Harriott on the bench as a triallist which still makes a point).
    Surely you cannot name a triallist for a League match?
    You can in the Scottish League, had assumed the same. Possibly isn't as people have already stated.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Can Gallagher play, has he been signed in time? Fingers crossed he has
    Yes but I’d imagine that he’d be on the bench with Pratley starting, the kids only had one training session 
    I’d have Pratley starting regardless. If I was gonna drop a midfielder for Gallagher, it’d be JFC.

We are going to need Pratley’s experienced head in these backs-to-wall northern away games.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    FWIW my team would be

——————Phillips
    ——-Lockyer Pearce(c) Sarr
    Dijksteel Oshilaja Pratley Purrington
    ——Williams Forster-Caskey
    ——————Taylor

I don’t like the idea of Taylor up front on his own so it’s pivotal that Williams and JFC get up and support him as often as possible. I’d rather JFC have as little defensive responsibility as possible as I simply don’t rate that part of his game.

That means we need a solid base if the ball gets turned over quickly. Oshilaja and Pratley will provide some steel in front of the back line.

Bench: Amos, Solly, Wiredu/Doughty, Lapslie, Morgan, Gallagher, Bonne
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you can buy tickets up there?? Thinking about going.
  • Options
    Ground out 1- 1 draw.
  • Options
    Would normally think a 2-0 loss but first game of the season brings in a lot of other factors. Form is an unknown from both sides. Refs wanting to set the rules for the season could mean red cards. With a lack of Championship experience it will be a learning curve for our players finding the level needed to compete. But Blackburn might a player or two also off the pace.
  • Options
    I was going to say if how boys treat this like a cup tie...
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Dannoo_86 said:
    Apparently so subject to a few extra quid premium on the day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree - Taylor is not as effective on his own. My team would be:

——————---Phillips
    ——---Oshilaja Pearce(c) Sarr
    Djiksteel Gallagher Forster-Caskey Purrington
    ——---------Williams 
    ————---Taylor    Bonne

I don't think the defence has gelled enough as yet to sit out a clean sheet so we are going to have to pose a threat at the other end.
  • Options
    Dannoo_86 said:
    Yep. £3 extra.
  • Options
    @ForeverAddickted

Great review. Look forward to reading them over the coming season. 
  • Options
    I agree - Taylor is not as effective on his own. My team would be:

——————---Phillips
    ——---Oshilaja Pearce(c) Sarr
    Djiksteel Gallagher Forster-Caskey Purrington
    ——---------Williams 
    ————---Taylor    Bonne

I don't think the defence has gelled enough as yet to sit out a clean sheet so we are going to have to pose a threat at the other end.
    If Conor Gallagher had signed on Monday I would agree with you. At least 4 days on the training pitch to garner any understanding must be needed.
    I think he will start the old pro Pratley and not sure he will go with Bonne, though I would. Gallagher may replace Pratley with 30 minutes to go depending on the score.

Will be interesting if he plays 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or as I suspect he will revert to 4-2-3-1 for today 

I always like the Burnley formation in the Championship of 4-4-2 when attacking and 4-5-1 when you are defending. 

Taylor is no lone striker, he love to be involved and is our best winger as well. When he can alternate from wing to penalty area he is at his most effective. That why I would play Bonne to be the central striker.
    He is a young hungry striker. When Aneke is involved next week (hopefully) you can try something different if need be.

I believe Bowyer will go for Lockyer over Oshilaja. If 4 are at the back today then either Pearce or Sarr may drop out.

• Options
    FWIW my team would be

——————Phillips
    ——-Lockyer Pearce(c) Sarr
    Dijksteel Oshilaja Pratley Purrington
    ——Williams Forster-Caskey
    ——————Taylor

I don’t like the idea of Taylor up front on his own so it’s pivotal that Williams and JFC get up and support him as often as possible. I’d rather JFC have as little defensive responsibility as possible as I simply don’t rate that part of his game.

That means we need a solid base if the ball gets turned over quickly. Oshilaja and Pratley will provide some steel in front of the back line.

Bench: Amos, Solly, Wiredu/Doughty, Lapslie, Morgan, Gallagher, Bonne
    This is the best way we can set out imo
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    Would normally think a 2-0 loss but first game of the season brings in a lot of other factors. Form is an unknown from both sides. Refs wanting to set the rules for the season could mean red cards. With a lack of Championship experience it will be a learning curve for our players finding the level needed to compete. But Blackburn might a player or two also off the pace.
    Good point about early red cards. 

We seemed to get a lot on opening day over the years.  Novak the last I think.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington
    Gallagher 
    Pratley, F.Caskey
    Williams
    Bonne, Taylor
    Subs: Amos, Solly, Sarr, Oshilaja, Morgan, Doughty, EMPTY

I genuinely believe this will be how we line up tomorrow. Bow has said enough times that Bonne isn't ready to start so starting him will be a message.

Once again not filling our bench to make a point. (maybe Harriott on the bench as a triallist which still makes a point).
    For starters, you're completely missing Lapslie and we will fill the bench tomorrow.

Secondly, Bonne and Taylor have barely played together all pre-season, if at all. I highly doubt we will start both when Bonne isn't ready and would leave us without a striker in any form on the bench.
    We had enough youth to fill the bench last season and didn't, what makes you think we will this time?

Bowyer has proven he likes two up top. Why would now be any different? 
    Because this time the youth we have to fill the bench has been involved in and around the first team. Bowyer has also said we will have enough to fill the bench and even if we didn’t name all 7, the last young player he would leave out is Lapslie.

Bowyer has said he does prefer us to have two up front, but he has also said time and time again that Bonne is not ready yet, not good enough for The Championship yet. Sometimes situations determine what you can and can’t do. He would’ve liked another striker through the door by now, but we have to wait until next week for that. 
  • Options
    Ultimately we'll probably line up like we did for Oxford away

Taylor up front on his own supported by someone like Williams or Forster-Caskey as the latter did have the knack of arriving late in the box like Jacko did

Just depends if Bowyer decides to go for a flat back four or with wing backs in a 3-5-2
  • Options
    Strange that we have no youth team striker to put on the bench, the likes of KAG,  Hanlon,  Umerah etc
  • Options
    Strange that we have no youth team striker to put on the bench, the likes of KAG,  Hanlon,  Umerah etc
    Ocran made the bench a few times last season but surprisingly didnt feature for the First-Team at any stage over the pre-season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ocran was recovering from minor surgery so a regular U23 watcher mentioned
  • Options
    Backs to the wall stuff today with seven defenders on the pitch and then next week with Aneke back, Gallagher bedded in and hopefully another couple in we can start thinking about what the true shape of our team can be for the season. Today is simply about avoiding a pasting. 
  • Options
    Always love the first game of the new season , will be tough at Blackburn,  but you never know. Aneke will be a big miss .
  • Options
    Great insight as always @Sage

Looking forward to reading your own full previews this season
    #DreamTeam
  • Options
    i'd have lapslie in for this one rather than jfc with pratley sitting in front of the back 3 - once pratley gets knackered, bring on Gallagher and shift lapslie back as the screen in front of the back 3 - as has been said, this is all about grinding out a draw until aneke and the further loans appear next week - we will be fine until we concede!!!!
  • Options
    Ocran was recovering from minor surgery so a regular U23 watcher mention

Ocran is garbage. Why he is still here I have no idea. Worse than Umerah and RHF.

• Options
    Ocran was recovering from minor surgery so a regular U23 watcher mention

Ocran is garbage. Why he is still here I have no idea. Worse than Umerah and RHF.

But a much better name.
  • Options
    Ground out 1- 1 draw.
    Would absolutely love this.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    With our record in cups that should seal our fate.
  • Options
    With our record in cups that should seaal our fate.
    Didnt do too badly in our last one ;)