Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Supporting statements. Advice please.

Sorry, after quick bit of advice, 
On supporting statements, as an employer are you looking for quick short structured sentences on the 'essential' and 'desirable' criteria or is it more long strcuted paragraphs. 

It's not for me but I was always under the impressions the people looking the applications just want short info they can tick off. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Comments

• FWIW, I'd limit it to max two sides A4, and expand on the CV to give specific examples against the criteria listed.  Also, check for spelling errors, grammar errors and overuse of particular words (I got one once where the first half-page had the word 'excited' given 5 times...).  Break what you write down into manageable paragraphs - it's daunting to have to read an entire page of unbroken text and there's no point in hacking off the person doing the shortlisting.  I prefer to see paragraphs explaining the summary given in the CV rather than just a list of bullet points - and it should complement and enhannce the CV whilst emphasising why you're the right person for the job.
  • Sorry, after quick bit of advice, 
    On supporting statements, as an employer are you looking for quick short structured sentences on the 'essential' and 'desirable' criteria or is it more long strcuted paragraphs. 

It's not for me but I was always under the impressions the people looking the applications just want short info they can tick off. 

Any advice appreciated. 
    Punchy first paragraph essential 
  • Can depend on the circumstances.

Is this public sector or large organisation with a formal application form (or online equivalent) or something to go with letter / CV?

If they have gone as far as putting together a 'person specification' with essential / desirable things, then gut feeling is they want something more than a sentence, I'd be inclined to go for a paragraph or possibly two on each one - and may be worth thinking STAR (situation, task, action result)

and depending on the job, you may want to use examples from outside paid work (e.g. voluntary work, studying or whatever)

they will have got the basics from the the CV / previous jobs bit, but better to make it clear in the supporting statement even if this means repeating / expanding on it, rather than leave it to them making assumptions.  This bit is going to be how they decide who to short-list, so it's important.  (and even if you're applying for an internal job or you already know the people, don't leave stuff out on the assumption they already know it - if they are being this formal, then they want to compare you against other applicants.)

I've tended to go for more rather than less detail and have a fairly good success rate in being offered interviews.  Don't know what your style is with writing - I tend to just go for it and get my thoughts on to the screen, then go through and edit with an axe.  and may be worth getting someone else to read it through.

Also, if they are doing this for the application stage, there's a chance they will do competency based interview (do some searching if you've not met it before) - in theory these are intended to mean a fair assessment by asking everyone the same questions, and to find out whether people really do know what they are talking about or whether they were BS-ing in their application.  Questions tend to be 'give an example of a time you did X' - either a specific technical thing or something like "a time you provided excellent customer service" (these should again match the skills / experience they have listed, so shouldn't come as a complete surprise) - one good example is usually better than a lot of talk, though.

As with most things, they vary in practice.  I've been interviewed by HR types who don't know anything about the job, who have asked very narrow and rigid questions and it's been clear they have been looking for the buzz words they have got written down.  I've also had interviews which have been more like a good natter (sadly not over a pint) about past jobs with someone who knows my line of work.

• Presumably the statement is supporting your cv or application form..possibly done online 

The supporting statement should explain some positive facts about you e.g. hardworking/works well in a team/ experienced manager etc/

Why you want the job ..e.g. Looking to widen experience/ fulfill ambition etc

What makes you suitable...experience/knowledge/ professional qualifications etc

A lot depends on how many jobs you've had but try to keep the cv to 2 pages along with above 

I'd advise against putting those personal traits above on the body of a cv ,especially at the beginning....

If it's a job that requires experience that's what the employer is looking for but you will probably find answering questions about the above more difficult at interview 

Don't lie ! But be positive about yourself modesty never got anyone a job

Love lolwray recently retired from 40 year career in recruitment..oh and ffs don't mention cafc ! 

• wmcf123 said:
    Sorry, after quick bit of advice, 

Any advice appreciated. 
    Punchy first paragraph essential 
    Something like:

"Give me the job or meet me in Makros Car Park?"
  • edited July 2019
    lolwray said:
    Presumably the statement is supporting your cv or application form..possibly done online 

The supporting statement should explain some positive facts about you e.g. hardworking/works well in a team/ experienced manager etc/

Why you want the job ..e.g. Looking to widen experience/ fulfill ambition etc

What makes you suitable...experience/knowledge/ professional qualifications etc

A lot depends on how many jobs you've had but try to keep the cv to 2 pages along with above 

I'd advise against putting those personal traits above on the body of a cv ,especially at the beginning....

If it's a job that requires experience that's what the employer is looking for but you will probably find answering questions about the above more difficult at interview 

Don't lie ! But be positive about yourself modesty never got anyone a job

Love lolwray recently retired from 40 year career in recruitment..oh and ffs don't mention cafc ! 

Excellent advice.
    I would add customising the statement not just to the role but also the company. Where possible find out as much as you can about the company's results, strategy and culture - easier with a plc but nonetheless google is your friend along with Linkedin, Glassdoor etc...
    If the company is in a creative field for example and you can find evidence that it values innovation as a prime trait then build that in to 'what you are looking for ...'.
  • Thanks all
    It's online application in large public sector, NHS. 

I just remember when I worked in public sector someone who was filtering applications said they just want to see clearly the 'essential' criteria so they can just tick, tick, tick, without searching through a page or two of A4 writing to confirm they have met the criteria.

This was 15 years ago mind you.

Once again thanks for taking time all. 
  • Thanks all

I just remember when I worked in public sector someone who was filtering applications said they just want to see clearly the 'essential' criteria so they can just tick, tick, tick, without searching through a page or two of A4 writing to confirm they have met the criteria.

Hi, I work in NHS and have written many supporting states and now also run workshops for some internal staff on applying for a role.

in my experience the supporting statement is based on the person spec. Write the statement in the same order as the spec with a
    sentence or two on how you meet that part of the spec. If done online you will probably have a limit of 1500 words for the statement and it can be tricky to fit it into that many words.

by doing it in the same order as the spec you are making it easy for someone to see you meet the requirements which is generally all they are looking for at this stage.

good luck.

• kigelia said:
    Thanks all

Hi, I work in NHS and have written many supporting states and now also run workshops for some internal staff on applying for a role.

in my experience the supporting statement is based on the person spec. Write the statement in the same order as the spec with a
    sentence or two on how you meet that part of the spec. If done online you will probably have a limit of 1500 words for the statement and it can be tricky to fit it into that many words.

by doing it in the same order as the spec you are making it easy for someone to see you meet the requirements which is generally all they are looking for at this stage.

good luck.

Thanks, appreciated. 
  • edited July 2019
    Keep it to a page, people have short attention spans. Don’t let it be flowery or include anything that looks or reads like bullshit. Bear in mind that most of the people that will be reading, vetting or signing off on it are clueless about the job, particularly HR who will be the firm’s gatekeeper so make sure you get across where and why you meet the specific criteria and needs of the job.