Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Living in Erith.

My niece currently lives in Crayford but wants to move out of the family home, told me that there seemed quite a few nice flats in Erith, it's been a good few years since I've been out in that area....what do people think of it, I know it was a tad rough in the day but how is it now.  Don't mind a few/loads of sarky comments but hope to get some genuine feedback from those that know the area....thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    @LargeAddick is your man. Lived in Erith for a good few years. Sadly now he has become gentrified living down on the south coast.

As for your niece. I would advise staying in & around the Bexleyheath /Crayford area. Lots more going on imo. Is she wanting to rent or buy...??  Also does she commute /need public transport. When I was 21 I bought my first flat in Dartford mainly for the commute up to London. 
  • Options
    Never lived in Erith, Northumberland Heath.
  • Options
    Grew up in Erith, wouldn’t recommend it and it got worse as I got older. Moved away 11 years ago so maybe there are those who have more recent history but no real advantages from me, sorry. 
  • Options
    Someone who likes living there wrote this for us: https://deserter.co.uk/2014/11/lend-me-your-erith/

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Parts of, let's say the 'Northumberland heath side of Erith' amaze me. Compares well to Blackheath for architecture and general 'wellbeing' of the population. Leisure centre swimming pool, avenue road area, is decent and close to the station. Contrast to the 'Slade green' side across the dual carriageway,  couldn't be more severe.

High street and West Street with its terraced 2 ups 2 downs and mix of new flats always felt ok to me, around the Ship pub, and the other side of the railway line round St John's road also ok and not too far from the station by foot.

The centre is still a 70s throwback. I like it but most wouldn't. Those new L&Q flats near the running horses pub, expensive and I'd stay well clear.

Agree with Golfie when he says not so much going on, but I only visit Erith from Belvedere, mostly for the Morrisons and the couple of cafes it has (Belvedere having nothing to speak of), and haven't lived in it.

Cross rail eventually coming up the line of course but will also be accessible from Crayford.
  • Options
    Lived in Erith for 3 years as a kid. Went to West Street School by the Church (a year after I left they knocked the school building down).
    The old swimming pool was great. Always remember the cold wind at the town centre. The running horses was my dad's regular and where we all went after the funeral. Not extremely helpful to you though. Sorry.
  • Options
    Parts of, let's say the 'Northumberland heath side of Erith' amaze me. Compares well to Blackheath for architecture and general 'wellbeing' of the population. Leisure centre swimming pool, avenue road area, is decent and close to the station. Contrast to the 'Slade green' side across the dual carriageway,  couldn't be more severe.

High street and West Street with its terraced 2 ups 2 downs and mix of new flats always felt ok to me, around the Ship pub, and the other side of the railway line round St John's road also ok and not too far from the station by foot.

The centre is still a 70s throwback. I like it but most wouldn't. Those new L&Q flats near the running horses pub, expensive and I'd stay well clear.

Agree with Golfie when he says not so much going on, but I only visit Erith from Belvedere, mostly for the Morrisons and the couple of cafes it has (Belvedere having nothing to speak of), and haven't lived in it.

Cross rail eventually coming up the line of course but will also be accessible from Crayford.
    Thanks I'll pass the info on.
  • Options
    @LargeAddick is your man. Lived in Erith for a good few years. Sadly now he has become gentrified living down on the south coast.

As for your niece. I would advise staying in & around the Bexleyheath /Crayford area. Lots more going on imo. Is she wanting to rent or buy...??  Also does she commute /need public transport. When I was 21 I bought my first flat in Dartford mainly for the commute up to London. 
    Yes she will need to be near the station, didn't seem to be that many flats in Crayford/Bexleyheath area (the modern type for young 'things'). My first flat was in Dartford....as you say handy for commute to London. She is considering Dartford as well. Thanks for your feedback.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Played a few games for E&B back in the day.....can’t say I recommend it.....but that was mid 60’s.
  • Options
    Always worth checking the details on this site.
    https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/00ADGM/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Check out the area around Little Brights Road Belvedere DA17. Could be a good investment if Crossrail and DLR get extended to Belvedere Station.Two bedroom apartments going for around 250k  
  • Options
    Interesting area that new estate round little brights road. It's Lower Belvedere so is near Belvedere station, but it's not too good in the vicinity of the station. Little brights flats have a new Lidl, a Marston's carvery pub, a drive through Starbucks and a gym. There's also a travelodge there, presumably hosting contractors working in the nearby industrial area and anyone not willing to pay London/woolwich prices.

Odd area. For me it doesn't sit well along side a fairly run down area of Belvedere. 

Incidentally flats of the exact same design are also going up in abbey wood I noticed recently where there is some clearance of the old 'clockwork orange' concrete flats going on.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Being built on an old land fill site.  Not sure I would want to live there.
  • Options
    Yeah me neither. Mindful of having a view on everything, so apologies, and everyone has to live somewhere, but the thing with the Quarry is that's a lot of extra housing in an area without that many social amenities and fairly far from a station. I like a few cafe and pub options and/or good access to places with those things, and the Quarry for me is quite remote in those aspects. Someone else may put me straight, but I don't think there's much going for that development, but as intimated, may be just my biased single guy perspective.
  • Options
    Do you know where the flats are situated?

If it was me advising a member of my family, I’d say don’t.

They’ve tried to improve it (Larner Road flats) but most pubs have shut and the centre is strange.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Someone who likes living there wrote this for us: https://deserter.co.uk/2014/11/lend-me-your-erith/

Great, well written article.
  • Options

Don't do it. It's a dump, unless you're looking to buy near the leisure centre (as was mentioned further up the thread). Even then you're masking a really sh*t area.

North Heath is slowly following suit, which is a shame.

Push a bit further down, if you can, and look in Barnehurst. Probably slightly more expensive but less pond life roaming around.

• Options
    It’s very easy to dismiss an area when you yourself are lucky enough to be living in a nicer area. Not everyone can afford those prices though. You just have to do a lot more homework in terms of roads and immediate areas. Personally I’d rather live in a 3 bed semi in Erith than a 1bed flat in a nicer area
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s very easy to dismiss an area when you yourself are lucky enough to be living in a nicer area. Not everyone can afford those prices though. You just have to do a lot more homework in terms of roads and immediate areas. Personally I’d rather live in a 3 bed semi in Erith than a 1bed flat in a nicer area
    Very good point - you can be dismissive of a lot of areas when you have cash. 
  • Options

I have lived in Erith and North Heath and regularly go back to see immediate family. They're more vocal about the downward trend of the area due to living there and don't see it getting any better any time soon.

Blackfen is usually good price wise, mainly due to having horrendous transport links. Might be worth a look.

• Options

I have lived in Erith and North Heath and regularly go back to see immediate family. They're more vocal about the downward trend of the area due to living there and don't see it getting any better any time soon.

Blackfen is usually good price wise, mainly due to having horrendous transport links. Might be worth a look.

When you say downward trend what do you mean? 
  • Options

When you say downward trend what do you mean? 

All the things you'd associate with an area not improving.
  • Options
    Lived off West Street for 18 months in one of the very first new builds.  This was before the "new" road.  It was a depressing experience but mainly because it did not fit with what was going on in my life at the time.  Remember it as stark, gloomy and down at heel. Bare in mind that was 25 years ago.
  • Options
    Is T’s nightclub still in the area , what a place back in the day 
    Now you're talking :)
  • Options

Yes she will need to be near the station, didn't seem to be that many flats in Crayford/Bexleyheath area (the modern type for young 'things'). My first flat was in Dartford....as you say handy for commute to London. She is considering Dartford as well. Thanks for your feedback.
    Over 500 new flats being built at Bexleyheath's Eastside Quarter.  The original plan was for 100 to be 'affordable' homes although not sure what that means.

https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2019/03/11/bexleyheath-town-centre-construction-update/
  • Options
    Is T’s nightclub still in the area , what a place back in the day 
    Remember it well.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice/feedback. She has only just started looking (hasn't viewed anywhere yet) when she finds somewhere more specific I'll seek further advice...thanks again.
  • Options
    Having run Erith Town FC for the past 3 years I’ve come to know the place pretty well.

The lack of council investment there over the years hasn’t helped and now with the many new builds the place is actually becoming gentrified.

The Bexley town planners over the past 40 years totally butchered the place.

However, it will change even more over the next few years with 30,000 new incoming residents....which is great, but there is no new infrastructure been put in. So no new doctors, dentists etc, which makes no sense to me.

Just build the apartments and run off with the instant cash...

Btw, El Classico is 7th August, Erith Town v Erith & Belvedere...