Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Driving Licence Advice

Quick bit of help wanted if possible

My Father-In-Law is currently dealing with cancer and potentially has dementia as his behaviour is eratic to say the extreme least (constantly over dosing on his medication and having no memory of his actions); Unfortunately though its not something he's taking that well and is pretty much refusing any assistance whilst Mental Health arent exactly helping either

The problem we currently have is that he's still got access to his car (my MiL tries to hide his car keys) and has had a couple of accidents (all of which he denies, either down to dementia or is just plain lying)

Is there anyway we can remove him of his Driving Licence (basically getting it revoked) without him being aware

i.e. Have checked the DVLA website and they've a form which you can complete where you can say you feel that someone isnt fit to drive yet before removing the Licence they'd want to do checks on him

(Something we know he'd refuse to have done)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Have you spoken to his GP?

National dementia helpline might help:
    0300 222 1122

Have found them an excellent support in the past
  • Options
    edited July 2019

0300 222 1122

Cheers for those details
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear this and I wish you, your father-in-law and the rest of your family all the very best. 

This thread has some useful information in it, with people sharing similar experiences - https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/84431/elderly-drivers-when-should-they-stop-how-do-you-tell-them/p1 

Please do something about this as soon as you possibly can.  The consequences of your father-in-law driving could be catastrophic. 
  • Options
    Cheers @Chizz, sadly he's only 61 in November

But the catastrophic nature of him driving is very much at the forefront of our thoughts

My wife and her family are extremely thankful no one else has been hurt so far
  • Options
    Maybe in the short term do something like remove the spark plugs or cut the HT leads so he can’t start the car.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Taking his licence away doesn't stop him getting in the car. It just makes it illegal for him to get in the car. Difficult situation, trying to deal with something similar myself at the moment. People will undoubtedly say "sit down and talk to him", etc. Really not that simple though. 

Think you need to consider more practical measures in the short term. Is he the only one who uses the car? If so, either sell it, or at least park it somewhere where he doesn't have access, or make a better job of hiding the keys, or put them in a key safe that he doesn't have the combination for. Don't forget, as painful as the conflict is between your father-in-law and the rest of the family, from your description it sounds like he's a danger to everyone else on the road rather that just himself. Good luck.
    Thankfully my Brother-In-Law is on the Insurance so one suggestion has been to move it and put it in the Garage of another family member

Unfortunately selling it isnt the best of ideas seeing its heavily financed at the moment, with the knocks he's already had they're still going to be left out of pocket
  • Options
    The national dementia helpline should be able to give you the legal information you need.

You need to get a formal diagnosis of dementia and the DVLA informed. The GP should have a talk about the implications.

The diagnosis will also affect insurance - will invalidate it if there is a diagnosis and not declared.

Some people with a dementia diagnosis can still drive safely for a time.

Good luck with this very difficult situation. Get the GP and DVLA involved.
  • Options
    Had the same problem.  But just before my dad was officially diagnosed with dementia he took his passenger side wing mirror off and therefore he couldn't really drive it after that.  And we have refused to fix it.  He often complains that I've taken him off the road but he knows himself the game is up for his driving days.    

Its still sat on his drive mind you but he's not attempted. 

• Options
    Having a talk with someone in your family about dementia is an awful situation - its a very hard thing to accept and some individuals will refuse to acknowledge they have it. Very very upsetting and a bastard condition to face up to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First thing is contact his GP and raise your concerns, the GP will pay a visit, he/she will inform the DVLA also, he needs to be officially diagnosed, there are drugs that can help stem the dementia, but sadly, right now, there is no cure.

In the meantime remove the car/disconnect the battery etc, whatever you need to do to stop him driving.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Had a similar situation with my Dad. We did it with the help of his GP. Dad struggled to understand and accept the decision. Wasn't easy for a week or so but absolutely the right thing to do
  • Options
    The medical section at the dvla have about a 3 month backlog for new licences. Hopefully getting one revoked is quicker. 
  • Options

0300 222 1122

Cheers for those details
    How is your MIL coping?
  • Options
    The medical section at the dvla have about a 3 month backlog for new licences. Hopefully getting one revoked is quicker. 
    Yeah I saw on the Gov website that it can take up to six weeks to get the licence revoked yet the driver is still allowed on the roads whilst its ongoing

As @MrLargo has said though, taking away the licence is only part of the resolution as it doesnt stop the person from actually driving, nor do I think it would stop my Father in Law either
  • Options

0300 222 1122

Cheers for those details
    How is your MIL coping?
    Pfffff... Its the worst case with these horrible issues, they dont just effect the one person yet those around them

It'll get to the point where she'll need mental help soon though as he threatened her with a knife when she's tried to help (police came round but still mental health refuse to say something is wrong)

Hopefully the scan results will come back confirming it is dementia as if they dont you have to question what is going on!!
  • Options

0300 222 1122

Cheers for those details
    How is your MIL coping?
    Pfffff... Its the worst case with these horrible issues, they dont just effect the one person yet those around them

It'll get to the point where she'll need mental help soon though as he threatened her with a knife when she's tried to help (police came round but still mental health refuse to say something is wrong)

Hopefully the scan results will come back confirming it is dementia as if they dont you have to question what is going on!!
    I did quite a lot of work with dementia patients - came across many different types of the condition. The youngest sufferer a colleague worked with was in her 30s.

Takes a huge toll on families and I hope your Mother in law gets all the support she needs.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    First thing is contact his GP and raise your concerns, the GP will pay a visit, he/she will inform the DVLA also, he needs to be officially diagnosed, there are drugs that can help stem the dementia, but sadly, right now, there is no cure.

In the meantime remove the car/disconnect the battery etc, whatever you need to do to stop him driving.
    Sorry to hear about these difficult issues and challenges.  As you have gathered, many of us have been there....

As others have said, it's not the licence as such that's the issue.  If you're at the stage of hiding keys, then I'm not sure that announcing that the licence is no longer valid will have any effect.  But the other issue to think about is insurance:
    • sounds to me like your F-i-L is not really fit to drive, and any insurance may not be valid
    • either way, what if you tell your F-i_L that you have taken him off the insurance for medical reasons, so he can no longer drive.  That is the same (to all intents and purposes) as revoking his licence
    You may still have to hide keys etc., because if it is dementia, you can't take risks.  It's often a step-wise decline, where suddenly another piece of erratic behaviour kicks in (e.g. he goes for a drive with the car doors open.  With my Mum, we caught her about to put a pizza in the oven still in its packaging).

Lastly, as Rob7Lee says, do all you can to persuade your F-i-L to get medical help, talk to the GP, take tests etc for dementia.  The drugs do help (or did with my Mum), but there's other help out there too.

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Had the same problem.  But just before my dad was officially diagnosed with dementia he took his passenger side wing mirror off and therefore he couldn't really drive it after that.  And we have refused to fix it.  He often complains that I've taken him off the road but he knows himself the game is up for his driving days.    

Its still sat on his drive mind you but he's not attempted. 

Word of warning B, when the tax is due, you need to declare it as SORN to the DVLA if it’s not being used on the road.

My dad said he’d done it for his when he fell ill but he hadn’t and they sent through a penalty notice.

Explained the situation to them and they withdrew it but was a bit of a pain.

• Options
    Yes thats has been done, thanks.  Just being lazy about getting it scrapped. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The first & simplest step is to take the car keys away (out of the house).
    Everything follows from there. Good luck.