Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Downing Street Facade

Looking at the brickwork on the facade of Number 10 it’s not the type of brickwork you would expect on a London house of that period. I would expect it to be the honey yellow of traditional London Stocks but instead we see a disjointed grey / black patchwork that almost looks as if it’s a coating of some sort. 

Any idea if its always been been like this or why it’s like it is ? 

Comments

• Went black due to pollution, and now there's painted black to keep the look
  • Then why not clean which would be the logical thing to do
  • one of the most famous British 'film sets' .. reserved for speeches from pious, devious liars ham actors
  • Rothko said:
    Went black due to pollution, and now there's painted black to keep the look
    is the RIGHT answer ((:>)

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-10-downing-street-door-is-black-2015-12?r=US&IR=T
  • Then why not clean which would be the logical thing to do
    They did clean it during a major renovation works in the mid 50's. They discovered the original brickwork was yellow but following cleaning, decided to re paint it black to keep the familiar look folk had become accustomed to, as Rothko said
  • Thank you. I must say I’m amazed the decision was made to paint those lovely stocks black. 
  • I suspect it has something to do with security/integrity of the building. Probably steel plates to look like bricks. The windows are blast proof and if they do cave in the net curtains are blast and fragment proof and are designed to catch any shrapnel before it enters the room. 
  • I couldn't open Lincs' link, but there's a good history here from a rather unlikely source: https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/research/10-downing-street/
  • Sponsored links:

• CL reaches new depths.. ;)

Actually quite an interesting factoid
  • It's that colour following Margaret Thatcher's dirty protest after she was stabbed in the back by her Tory colleagues
  • I am a big fan of Larry the cat.
  • I heard on QI that the zero in the no 10 sign is at a funny angle too. 
    Any idea the reason or why its never been changed? It aways bothers me when i see it on TV . Why its at an angle still? Anal i know
    Any idea the reason or why its never been changed? It aways bothers me when i see it on TV . Why its at an angle still? Anal i know
    See here:

Stig said:
    I couldn't open Lincs' link, but there's a good history here from a rather unlikely source: https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/research/10-downing-street/

• Stig said:
    I heard on QI that the zero in the no 10 sign is at a funny angle too. 
    See here:

Stig said:
    I couldn't open Lincs' link, but there's a good history here from a rather unlikely source: https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/research/10-downing-street/

Thanks.
    So its a nod to history. Still think they should just change it and make it straight. Everyone around the world probably sees the 10 and dont notice the angle but those that do will think we are useless if we cant hang a door number straight
  • It was originally green...i have learned tonight
  • I think Boris has changed the 10 to the letters IO to represent the number of ins and outs in his cabinet.
  • Them were the days singing football songs outside No.10 on the way back from an away match. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone here been inside? I was lucky enough to enter 10 Downing Street 2 weeks ago
  • I keep putting my name in the Open House ballot but unsuccessful each year. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Anyone here been inside? I was lucky enough to enter 10 Downing Street 2 weeks ago
    Been there a few times. Remarkable by the fact that is so ordinary. Except the room Maggie had decorated like a room in a palace - totally out of keeping with the rest of the house. The library is a lovely room.

Number 11 has the bigger family accommodation though.
  • I think Boris has changed the 10 to the letters IO to represent the number of ins and outs in his cabinet.
    I heard he was having a new door fitted:

• Solidgone said:
    Them were the days singing football songs outside No.10 on the way back from an away match. 
    That was a long time ago, how the hell we ever ended up in Downing street I have no idea :smiley: