Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Milan

Going next week... Any recommendations? 

Comments

• Options

Do the San Siro tour, even my wife who hates football enjoyed it.

• Options

and even more of a reason is that it wont be around for much longer 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Love Italy, my fav European country but I am not really keen on Milan, a bit like London in that it is expensive and very businessy.  If you like brand name shopping and hanging out at expensive/fashionable bars then you will like it I am sure.

Two definite highlights are the San Siro as said above, which for a footy fan is definitely worth a trip, but for me the best thing was a trip to walk on the roof of the Cathedral which i would certainly recommend if you want some culture and views.  As i recall the queues can be pretty long so we got there quite early in the day.  It is also not that far to Lake Como.
  • Options
    Go on as many trams as possible.

Also,

http://www.lambiczoon.com/

^^^this place is AMAZING if you like interesting beer
  • Options

Already booked, looking forward to it
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Go on as many trams as possible.

Also,

http://www.lambiczoon.com/

^^^this place is AMAZING if you like interesting beer
    Looks class, will add to the list
  • Options
    I can only echo the above about the San Siro tour, an incredible stadium and just a shame you won't be able to watch a match there! The AC Milan museum however really isn't worth the trip, I found it quite disappointing.

Also recommend going to the Cathedral roof, its a stunning building that offers great views once you're up there. On the subject of the main square, I wouldn't eat in any of the restaurants directly on it, but would walk a bit further out. They're excessively expensive and very poor quality compared to elsewhere nearby. 

Castello Sforzesco is good if you have some spare time, its one of the rare bits of Renaissance Milan that remains, and its easy to get to.

If you're going to be using the metro heavily over 3 or more days I'd recommend a carnet of 10 tickets- each is valid for 90 minutes which will be more than enough time to reach your destination, and is both cheaper and more convenient than buying the tickets as you go. 

If you're there for a while, would suggest a trip to Lake Como or Bergamo, both a lot quieter places than Milan itself!
  • Options
    Defo walk on roof of Duomo, defo San Siro tour. 

Painting of the last supper is there too. 
  • Options

If you're there for a while, would suggest a trip to Lake Como or Bergamo, both a lot quieter places than Milan itself!

I also recommend a day trip. Lake Como is 45 minutes from Centrale or Cadorna stations. Get a boat out, railway to the mountain top, the town is pretty… You can even border hop over into Switzerland. I went as far as Capolago.

I’ve been to Milan a few times as it has transport links and lots of football teams nearby. I don’t really like it though, the Duomo square is brilliant but there’s not much else to do. Last time I went I skipped the long cathedral queue by buying a ticket in the small museum on the right-side of the entrance as you’re looking at it. That could save you 30+ minutes of standing in the sun.

• Options
    RedPanda said:

I also recommend a day trip. Lake Como is 45 minutes from Centrale or Cadorna stations. Get a boat out, railway to the mountain top, the town is pretty… You can even border hop over into Switzerland. I went as far as Capolago.

I’ve been to Milan a few times as it has transport links and lots of football teams nearby. I don’t really like it though, the Duomo square is brilliant but there’s not much else to do. Last time I went I skipped the long cathedral queue by buying a ticket in the small museum on the right-side of the entrance as you’re looking at it. That could save you 30+ minutes of standing in the sun.

Unfortunately just the weekend
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good knock last night...
  • Options
    Milan is overrated but still worth visiting. I agree with all of the above but would strongly suggest getting to Navigli area for a drink in the evening. Even if you don't drink spritz it's worth having one as they will bring food with it that will be more than you can eat.

If you are there for any period of time and want to 'escape' from Milan get the train from Centrale to Brescia then Sale Marasino. It's about a 90minute trip. You will be on Lake Iseo and it is unspoilt, cheap and spectacular. I wouldn't go anywhere near Lake Como or Lake Garda in July or August. It's full of tourists and you will be swooping busy and overpriced Milan for a busy and overpriced Lake.
  • Options
    If you want to see the Last Supper (and you should) then book it now, you generally can’t just rock up on the day and it gets sold out pretty quickly. 
  • Options
    Oh - and I had some of the best pizza I’ve ever had in my life at this place (super cheap too):

https://m.facebook.com/napizmilano/?modal=admin_todo_tour
  • Options
    Went last year and agree with people’s comments , very expensive . Como is definitely worth the trip for the day , we got a boat to Bellagio when there, which I’d highly recommend. Other than that and seeing the Stadium and Cathedral I didn’t think there was  loads to do/see
  • Options
    Take lots of money!
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Went last year and agree with people’s comments , very expensive . Como is definitely worth the trip for the day , we got a boat to Bellagio when there, which I’d highly recommend. Other than that and seeing the Stadium and Cathedral I didn’t think there was  loads to do/see
    I live in Geneva, should save money not being here!

se9addick said:
    Oh - and I had some of the best pizza I’ve ever had in my life at this place (super cheap too):

Will book this up, mrs has been to their sister restaurant Piz and said it is the best pizza she's ever had
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    cafc4life said:
    I live in Geneva, should save money not being here!

se9addick said:

Will book this up, mrs has been to their sister restaurant Piz and said it is the best pizza she's ever had
    Took two other people, we had three pizzas, three bottles of wine and a few lemoncello shots for €99! 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Make sure you know the price before you order a pint!

I didn’t and it cost 11 euros for a pint!