Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Open 2019

I don’t know if this is common knowledge but Brooks’ caddie grew up playing Portrush and has shot 65 there, plus he’s gone back to ‘inspect’ the two new holes. 10/1 on Koepka sounds like very good value. 

Otherwise it’ll favour ball strikers, especially if the wind gets up - it won't just be a putting contest (credit to the always brilliant Geoff Ogilvy on ‘The Fried Egg’ pod). It has more raised greens than most links so you can't necessarily run the ball up, although going high surely brings more wind into it. I’ve bet on Brooks obviously then small amounts on Day, Schauffele, Kisner, Snedeker, Oosthuizen and Kuchar.

Has anyone here played Portrush? Anyone heading over there? After that tepid US Open I want a day or two of carnage.

Comments

• Very excited for this - Portrush looks like a fantastic venue. 

I couldn't resist getting on Mcilroy, but also got small amounts on Cantlay and Pepperell (loves an Irish links course) so far. Will be having a look a a few others too
  • Golf thread turns into betting thread in record time. 
  • Riviera said:
    Golf thread turns into betting thread in record time. 

Care to share some knowledge about the course then?

Mentioning bets gets conversation rolling and points out who we think are good fits for the course at the moment. They’re just predictions, which I’m certain Sky will make, plus newspapers, websites, podcasts etc.

• edited July 2019
    Riviera said:

Just demonstrates how betting is so ingrained into our culture - and, despite what the abolishionists want, it always has been.

'I bet he will....', 'who do you fancy for the golf?' 'who is favourite to win?', 'he's a rank outsider' - it's in our language!!!!

• We're going on Friday and Sunday. Mr W, a Northern Irishman, wouldn't miss it for the world. I love going to the Open in Scotland. Bought tickets a year ago as guessed it might sell out.

It is going to be a massive event - probably largest crowds ever in the island of Ireland outside of a papal visit. I do hope the R&A have got themselves organised.

It is a beautiful coastline and much will depend on weather conditions. Will also be emotional for Darren Clarke as well as Rory and GMac.

As always, I'll be cheering the lovely Justin.
  • Ladbroke has £1 free bet if you have the app.
  • Ladbroke has £1 free bet if you have the app.
    Skybet also have a fiver free bet...

Just jumped on Koepka
  • RedPanda said:
    Riviera said:

Mentioning bets gets conversation rolling and points out who we think are good fits for the course at the moment. They’re just predictions, which I’m certain Sky will make, plus newspapers, websites, podcasts etc.

In terms of the course, looks to favour longer hitters, with a couple of long par 5s and par4s that are reachable for the long hitters in 1. Although as ever keeping it straight will be key as some of the rough and slopes you can find yourself on look savage. 

The 16th also looks like a brute of a hole.
  • I’ve done Koepka win and G Mac e/w
  • I'm going for Jack Nicholson
  • Sponsored links:

• Sergio Garcia and (as always) Louis Oosthuizen. Both each-way.

Sneaking feeling for Jon Rahm but no real value.

• edited July 2019
    Not familiar with Portrush so can’t offer an opinion on the course and it’s implications for the different styles of play. On form, this is one of the most wide open majors in yonks. The form players like Koepka and Rahm are relatively unfamiliar with links golf and this particular course so may have to work it out as they go. Rory is living a bit on past reputation and I suspect the burden of home support and expectation will do for him. As for the rest of the Irish challenge, Clarke and GMac are past it as major contenders which leaves Lowry. His game is good enough and he will revel in the conditions. He never quite got over not winning the US Open a few years ago when he was well placed towards the end and he has admitted that the volume of support will stretch his nerves but I’ve got a small each way wager on him. As for the remaining Brits, Fleetwood is bang out of form as is Hatton. Wallace is bang in form but with doubts as to whether his temperament could take the pressure of the last nine in contention. Rosey is still farting about trying to get used to his new expensive clubs. That leaves the other big names. The Woods hype mobile will roll on and you can never rule him out but I can’t myself see it happening. DJ has been quiet of late and Spieth’s decline shows no real signs of arresting. All of the above inclines me to think that we could have a bit of a surprise. I fancy young Schauffele to win one before much longer and Oosthuizen seems as consistent as ever. I have modest ew bets on both. Wide open tournament. Surprise winner?  Wiesberger is on a roll, the young American who won the other week with the odd swing who’s getting a lot of hype (so much so that I can’t remember his name!). Let’s hope the weather gives them just enough to think about without spoiling things. Can’t wait. 
  • A lot depends on the weather - can affect scores dramatically.
  • I'm doing a spread of e/w bets, with more placed on  Koepka, Rose and Mcilroy.  I've also backed for smaller amounts - Fleetwood, Rahm, Pepperell, Mollinari and Stenson.
  • Not familiar with Portrush so can’t offer an opinion on the course and it’s implications for the different styles of play. On form, this is one of the most wide open majors in yonks. The form players like Koepka and Rahm are relatively unfamiliar with links golf and this particular course so may have to work it out as they go. Rory is living a bit on past reputation and I suspect the burden of home support and expectation will do for him. As for the rest of the Irish challenge, Clarke and GMac are past it as major contenders which leaves Lowry. His game is good enough and he will revel in the conditions. He never quite got over not winning the US Open a few years ago when he was well placed towards the end and he has admitted that the volume of support will stretch his nerves but I’ve got a small each way wager on him. As for the remaining Brits, Fleetwood is bang out of form as is Hatton. Wallace is bang in form but with doubts as to whether his temperament could take the pressure of the last nine in contention. Rosey is still farting about trying to get used to his new expensive clubs. That leaves the other big names. The Woods hype mobile will roll on and you can never rule him out but I can’t myself see it happening. DJ has been quiet of late and Spieth’s decline shows no real signs of arresting. All of the above inclines me to think that we could have a bit of a surprise. I fancy young Schauffele to win one before much longer and Oosthuizen seems as consistent as ever. I have modest ew bets on both. Wide open tournament. Surprise winner?  Wiesberger is on a roll, the young American who won the other week with the odd swing who’s getting a lot of hype (so much so that I can’t remember his name!). Let’s hope the weather gives them just enough to think about without spoiling things. Can’t wait. 
    Matthew Wolffe. He's not playing though
  • Not familiar with Portrush so can’t offer an opinion on the course and it’s implications for the different styles of play. On form, this is one of the most wide open majors in yonks. The form players like Koepka and Rahm are relatively unfamiliar with links golf and this particular course so may have to work it out as they go. Rory is living a bit on past reputation and I suspect the burden of home support and expectation will do for him. As for the rest of the Irish challenge, Clarke and GMac are past it as major contenders which leaves Lowry. His game is good enough and he will revel in the conditions. He never quite got over not winning the US Open a few years ago when he was well placed towards the end and he has admitted that the volume of support will stretch his nerves but I’ve got a small each way wager on him. As for the remaining Brits, Fleetwood is bang out of form as is Hatton. Wallace is bang in form but with doubts as to whether his temperament could take the pressure of the last nine in contention. Rosey is still farting about trying to get used to his new expensive clubs. That leaves the other big names. The Woods hype mobile will roll on and you can never rule him out but I can’t myself see it happening. DJ has been quiet of late and Spieth’s decline shows no real signs of arresting. All of the above inclines me to think that we could have a bit of a surprise. I fancy young Schauffele to win one before much longer and Oosthuizen seems as consistent as ever. I have modest ew bets on both. Wide open tournament. Surprise winner?  Wiesberger is on a roll, the young American who won the other week with the odd swing who’s getting a lot of hype (so much so that I can’t remember his name!). Let’s hope the weather gives them just enough to think about without spoiling things. Can’t wait. 
    Matthew Wolffe. He's not playing though
    Ah yes, cheers.   that’s the bunny.  Thought he’d qualified the other day. My bad. 
  • RedPanda said:
    Riviera said:

In terms of the course, looks to favour longer hitters, with a couple of long par 5s and par4s that are reachable for the long hitters in 1. Although as ever keeping it straight will be key as some of the rough and slopes you can find yourself on look savage. 

The 16th also looks like a brute of a hole.

It's shorter than Carnoustie. Distance is an advantage at every course but it should be a nice mixed leaderboard.

I could watch Matt Wolff's swing all day. Shame Viktor Hovland is missing too, hopefully he starts playing a few events over here with the Ryder Cup in mind.

• CAFCsayer said:
    Ladbroke has £1 free bet if you have the app.

Just jumped on Koepka
    Ditto, cheers.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Ladbroke has £1 free bet if you have the app.

Just jumped on Koepka

Hope you have not injured him, I have been backing him for awhile to win the Open
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Koepke
    Poulter
    Lowry
    Harrington
    Fleetwood
    Wallace

• edited July 2019
    Paddypower paying up to 10 places so my 10 choices are:
    1. Koepka
    2. Kuchar
    3. Pepperell
    4. Fleetwood
    5. Poulter
    6. Z. Johnson
    7. Day
    8. Fowler
    9. Schaufelle
    10. Hoffman

Odds ranging from 10-1 (Koepka) to 200-1 (Hoffman)
  • I went Koepka outright (boosted to 11 on Sky)

Speith first round leader (45/1 - Finding form)

Patrick Reed/ Poulter both EW - I don't usually bet either but just fancy them here

• meldrew66 said:
    Paddypower paying up to 10 places so my 10 choices are:
    1. Koepka
    2. Kuchar
    3. Pepperell
    4. Fleetwood
    5. Poulter
    6. Z. Johnson
    7. Day
    8. Fowler
    9. Schaufelle
    10. Hoffman

Odds ranging from 10-1 (Koepka) to 200-1 (Hoffman)
    I was gonna back Dustin Johnson and Charley Hoffman, wrote it out wrong, Charley Johnson and Dustin Hoffman
  • Course looks superb, will be interesting to see how the players cope with the conditions which appear to be deteriorating. Done Rahm to win, Schauffele, Wallace, Lowry & McDowell ew. Should be a great week.
  • Would love to see a Brit win it 
  • Been up here the last couple of days to watch the practice days! Course is incredibly tough and weather is supposedly getting worse! Saw Schauffele stick a gap wedge to 2 feet from 197 yards today....lumping on him!
  • Done an each way on Justin Rose. 

Rightly or wrongly I think the Americans tend to be 'fair weather' golfers so if we get some 'typical' Irish weather then I think someone like Rose could sneak under the radar.
  • with it being held in kent next year has anyone ever been before, i was looking at doing day 3 but £95 seems lumpy
  • mcillroy at 15/2 is probably one of the worst bets i've seen although i said similar about tiger roll being too skinny for gn and look how that ended. 

i have gone for the following 

rahm 12/1
    koepka ( his caddy is very familar with the course ) 11/1
    fowler 33/1
    pepperell 60/1

all ew 10 places