Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Learning something new when you’re older

Taking inspiration from the musical instrument and language threads, what have you learned or tried to learn as you’ve got older?  How have you found it and what have been the challenges?  Interested in this because I’ve started my own little learning pathway in recent years, but also because the older I get, the more I realise how conditioned you become to do things in a certain way, and how tough it can be from a mindset and behaviour perspective, compared to when you were younger.  

Thought I’d start a more general thread for lifers to share their more general interests and how they’ve found it 

Comments

• cabbles said:
    Taking inspiration from the musical instrument and language threads, what have you learned or tried to learn as you’ve got older?  How have you found it and what have been the challenges?  Interested in this because I’ve started my own little learning pathway in recent years, but also because the older I get, the more I realise how conditioned you become to do things in a certain way, and how tough it can be from a mindset and behaviour perspective, compared to when you were younger.  

Thought I’d start a more general thread for lifers to share their more general interests and how they’ve found it 
    Im thinking coach driving
  • edited July 12
    The problem with History and Physics at school was that they couldn't have made the subjects more boring if they tried. I think it is still the case from speaking to my son. I have realised how interested I am in these subjects now. Some subjects will always be a bit boring, you are stuck with that fact, but it is sad when interesting subjects are so poorly taught. I can still hear Mr Robinson, my old history teacher, ' Take notes'. We spent the whole bloody lesson writing down what he read to us!  

I did barge him into a wall in a Teachers v Pupils football match in the playground once. I still see that as my revenge as it wasn't pretty! But to be fair, he was only doing what all history teachers seem to do! 
  • edited July 12
    I love QI now. I mean, isn't it interesting to know that when Oliver Cromwell was a baby, he was grabbed by his father's pet chimp who took him up to the roof of his house! These are interesting facts that everybody should know! That isn't proven btw, but it is still interesting.

Here is something new and interesting to find out today:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/11/domestic-cats-can-fall-from-any-height-with-a-remarkable-survival-rate/
  • The problem with History and Physics at school was that they couldn't have made the subjects more boring if they tried. I think it is still the case from speaking to my son. I have realised how interested I am in these subjects now. Some subjects will always be a bit boring, you are stuck with that fact, but it is sad when interesting subjects are so poorly taught. I can still hear Mr Robinson, my old history teacher, ' Take notes'. We spent the whole bloody lesson writing down what he read to us!  

I did barge him into a wall in a Teachers v Pupils football match in the playground once. I still see that as my revenge as it wasn't pretty! But to be fair, he was only doing what all history teachers seem to do!  

My history teacher was looking back, a nice bloke, but how boring were those lessons,  almost 45 years later  I love history.  Churning out dates for this that and the other did'nt engage me at all.
  • I'd like to learn how to suck eggs
  • edited July 12
    I took my wife to Venice in January for her birthday. What made me enjoy it even more was all the research I did before hand. Why it was built, how it was built, when it was the most powerful city in the world, the Jewish sector, robbing from other civilisations, How it became a red light district, that Casanova and his accomplice was the only person to escape the Doge's prison, plague.....I could go on. But I was seeing the history with every step and I have never enjoyed visiting a place more! 
  • YouTube and Google search are a massive tool to learning. 
  • edited July 12
    Yes, it makes it so easy. It also helped me do Venice on the relative cheap without taking away any of the fun - actually probably adding to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• That I have two ears two eyes and 1 mouth 

up until 2017 I never really understood what that actually meant 

and the thing I only had 1 of engaged quickly and 99x out of 100 to my detriment 

knowledge is key it’s powerful it’s instrumental and it’s gained by looking and listening never by opening your gob 

learn that quickly and your destiny and place in the world will be clearer and more fulfilling 
  • How to run a football club
  • It’s the first time I’ve been ‘up the Shard’ tonight and a Tomahawk steak costs £170 ... yes, that’s £170 (unbelievable Jeff)  
  • 3blokes said:
    Skipping - could never really do it. But about 6 weeks ago, I bought a decent skipping rope, spent a week or two just trying to master it, and I have sort of cracked it now. It’s knackering but it’s a good and inexpensive way to do a bit of exercise. 
    Next; Hopscotch and then mastering the cats cradle...Go for it! 😀
  • edited July 13
    Also, astronomy. Hated physics in school but one of those things that become more interesting when you can actually be bothered to listen. Prof Brian Cox has helped with some amazing programmes on BBC. Thinking of buying a telescope and getting into the photography side of it.
    You sure it isn’t just to get a better view of the fit bird whose bathroom window is within range of your house? 
  • Solidgone said:
    3blokes said:
    Skipping - could never really do it. But about 6 weeks ago, I bought a decent skipping rope, spent a week or two just trying to master it, and I have sort of cracked it now. It’s knackering but it’s a good and inexpensive way to do a bit of exercise. 
    Next; Hopscotch and then mastering the cats cradle...Go for it! 😀
    I know, I’m becoming the girl I always dreamed of being!  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

•  But to be fair, he was only doing what all history teachers seem to do! 
    It's the most popular subject at my school, largely due to the handsome, charismatic and inspirational teachers. 
  • edited July 13
    Think of the human brain as like a muscle....that needs excerise.

If you are thirsty for knowledge...and you have a specific interest that is not currently being fulfilled.

Then there is a reason for it.

It's good news 👍

EDIT:

It's good news...if you then manage to make time for yourself to then go and do what interests you.
  • Acting classes once a week. Great way to burn energy and forget about the daily stress at work.
  • edited July 13
    I took up water colour painting a couple of years ago, never having painted at all since primary school. I won't ever be great or want to sell paintings but I have really found it challenging, absorbing, thought provoking and surprisingly relaxing. I now find myself looking at all sorts of things around me (nature, skies, faces etc) with a completely different eye. (Also met really fascinating people in my classes.)
    As an offshoot of the classes, I have also studied art history in classes for over a year. As an ex-history teacher, it has revived my passion for knowledge of the past and I cannot believe how much more I now get out of exhibitions and galleries. It has amazed me that I never realised how many artists in the past were making strong social comments in their work: Constable, Hogarth, Courbet etc.
    Next challenge is acrylic painting! 
    So to answer your question, Cabbles, I have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and would recommend testing the grey cells as well as keeping physically active.
    P.S. I look forward to Happyvalley and his historical facts every day, if not the lack of takeover gossip. 
  • Also, astronomy. Hated physics in school but one of those things that become more interesting when you can actually be bothered to listen. Prof Brian Cox has helped with some amazing programmes on BBC. Thinking of buying a telescope and getting into the photography side of it.
    I picked up a telescope off Facebook sales a couple of months ago. 700 quid worth of kit for 200 quid. Absolutely love it. Just keep in mind though that in the UK planetary observation is done in the winter due to us being on top of the earth in the summer. Also, saturn and jupiter arent due to be high in our sky for about another 7 years so to see them at night you need a clear view to the south with no heat interruptions either. That pretty much leaves you with south Wales coast for the best views.

Don't be afraid to observe the moon, its still unbelievably interesting. And spent a night or two just learning about a new star. It really is humbling to imagine what you were doing when each individual star was emitting the light that you now see. 
  • @Eynsfordaddick Have you tried gouache? It seems to be a nice halfway house between watercolour and acrylic
  • _MrDick said:
    It’s the first time I’ve been ‘up the Shard’ tonight and a Tomahawk steak costs £170 ... yes, that’s £170 (unbelievable Jeff)  
    I fancy taking the Mrs up the Shard. 
    My Mrs took me up the OXO Tower a couple of years ago, wonderful experience. 
  • How old Is older ? I'm currently looking into taking up kick boxing.