Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Pearce signs a contract extension (to 2021)

Comments

• Who were the other club?
  • Who were the other club?
    Pompy and Sunderland were the two I saw being linked. 
    How true I don't know. 
  • SDAddick said:
    Not his biggest fan, but obviously good news. Hope he's the first of many. Still don't even like the fact that JFC got a one year extension, but that's where we are now as a club. 

As others have said, hope Taylor and Dijksteel follow. Would also like to see Sarr extend his stay. I think he started to show last year what he's capable of. Even if you don't rate the players, longer contracts help lock in their sell-on value should it come to that. So for me, I'm not convinced that at this stage of his career Pearce is going to consistently be a Championship level center half (for the upcoming season, yes). But if we stay up and get to next summer and think we can improve on him (or anyone, Sarr, Taylor, Dijksteel, etc.), we ensure a fee. 
    Forster-Caskey only got a one year deal because of his ACL last year though

Hate to say but I think thats sensible from the club as if we give him longer and he breaks down again (not recovering this time) then we're wasting wages

Would love it if we could tie Sarr down to a new deal; he's surely our highest earner now and will be a big problem on the budget Spreadsheet, if we lose him at the end of the season (If Roland is still in charge) then hopefully it gives us a bit more on transfers.. If though we can get him to sign a new deal now on lower terms it surely means we get to keep Sarr and use a bit more on transfers now
  • Good news.  I’m unsure of how good he’s going to be in the championship but he’s a leader
  • We’re going to have our backs to the wall for most of next season and Pearce’s leadership and battling qualities will be very important. We also, at present, only have 15 players.

The real test, however, will be getting Taylor and Dijksteel to sign extensions - and also to sign contracts without minuscule transfer fee release clauses. I’m not holding my breath under this dreadful owner.
  • Really pleased with this. I’m aware there’s been serious interest from another club and tbh, I was expecting him to leave.

We are not overflowing with experience and I suspect even less so once we’ve brought in the loans, so good to have another senior head and a leader in the squad
    Spot on. We do not want to be losing more players from last year. 
  • The defense has looked woeful as we have had no midfield at all, the opposition just attack at will and we're massively out numbered, all game, every game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The midfield protection was weakening due to the midfielders being over played, now injuries and suspensions have made it worse. Pearce is not the quickest but his best game was up against the best striker in the league at Fulham, which was an old school defender attacker battle which he thrived.

Once the squad is back fully fit and the protection is back, Pearce will not be exposed as half as much. 
  • I think he would be fine alongside a quick partner behind a first choice midfield. Problem is Lockyer looks so more subtle and clinical in comparison, but Pearce is by no means as bad as some make out 
  • Bowyer wants us to play out the back, and the simple fact is Pearce does not have the skill set to do that part of the game. This issue was not as glaring when Cullen was in the team and could either pass or dribble the ball out from the back for us. 

I definitely believe we should play 4 at the back, but do you drop Pearce for Sarr who can help us build attacks from the back, but it prone to a howler. Or do you stick with the more defensively reliable Pearce, but then potentially concede possession easier. 

• His style of defending is now outdated. You can't get away with tugging a player's shirt a yard away from him. 
  • His style of defending is now outdated. You can't get away with tugging a player's shirt a yard away from him. 
    Pearce only does that, when his opponent is slipping away from him - he's not now really quick enough for the Championship. But if team mates can help compensate, then his other qualities are invaluable.
  • edited December 2019
    Pearce is clearly suffering in form and confidence much like the rest of the team.

But as others have said it was only a few weeks ago he put in a real fighting display at Fulham. Ability wise he's not nosedived in just a few weeks, it's more the midfield not providing the support it was which is hurting Pearce.

Also, he shouldn't have been expected to play so much by now as Sarr really ought to have nailed down his place in the team by now.

Sarr is out of contract at the end of the season and I can't see him being offered a new contract so there's definitely value in Pearce being contracted until 2021 but I do feel we need a new LCB in January good enough to upgrade on Pearce and Sarr no youngsters on loan.
  • I don't think he has been that bad.  As I watched last night I thought to myself, if only all our team had the passion, desire and bravery of Pearce, Lockyer ,Solly etc we would be fine.

Always laugh that the same people that say "I just want to see 11 players who give everything for the shirt and want to play for Charlton" then often critisise those that do.  

If the likes of Leko  and Sarr had half of Pearce's desire to win they would be PL regulars by now
  • Sponsored links:

• Think he's limited at this level in any regard of ball-playing and he grabs shirts far too often but people are judging and marking him ludicrously harshly for yesterday. Think he basically did his job well.
  • edited December 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    His style of defending is now outdated. You can't get away with tugging a player's shirt a yard away from him. 
    Pearce only does that, when his opponent is slipping away from him - he's not now really quick enough for the Championship. But if team mates can help compensate, then his other qualities are invaluable.
    That's not quite true, at least a couple of times in the last 2 games he was penalised for tugging the shirt when his opponent was facing away from goal in a non threatening position. Was absolutely no need for him to do it.
  • Considering we conceded in first minute at Middlesbrough and the last of three added minutes yesterday, the defence actually held firm for 180 minutes!
  • Pearcey has been a bit shaky recently, as has most of our defence, Dillion has been all right, but he can’t keep clean sheets all by himself.

Cullen and Field are big losses in my opinion, adding extra protection to our defence and breaking down attacks,you only notice what they do when they are not there.

I know some don’t rate Field, but he does put his body on the line a lot and block a lot of shots.

We are severely lacking creativity in midfield / dictating the play in midfield, hence the Naby cross field passes a lot, and because we’re not attacking and keeping the ball in the opponents third very much, moves break down easily, and there’s only so much pressure you can take defensively.

When I saw Pearce, Lockyer and Sarr starting at home yesterday, it showed me that Bowyer and Jacko , did not have ability in our midfield to dominate and dictate the game.

We are in a horrible run of form, the takeover can’t come soon enough, I’m not saving it will be a silver bullet, and everything will be all right, but the longer it drags on, the less chance there is of fixing the squad in January, and that is my real concern, keep the faith and let’s not turn on each other.

• To me Pearce has some strengths and some weaknesses, he is good at what he is good at.  He has played most of his football at lower championship and top of league 1 level, which is about right IMO. 

I am not really critical about his physical short comings, lack of pace, shirt pulling and being a tad slow. What I am critical of is where he lacks as a captain, leader and organiser.  We have all seen very average players who can marshal a back 4, hold a line and talk others through a game.  Pearce can't. 

I can live with his short comings but he isn't John Terry or Tony Adams either. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    To me Pearce has some strengths and some weaknesses, he is good at what he is good at.  He has played most of his football at lower championship and top of league 1 level, which is about right IMO. 

I am not really critical about his physical short comings, lack of pace, shirt pulling and being a tad slow. What I am critical of is where he lacks as a captain, leader and organiser.  We have all seen very average players who can marshal a back 4, hold a line and talk others through a game.  Pearce can't. 

I can live with his short comings but he isn't John Terry or Tony Adams either
    Indeed !
  • It is a bit frustrating watching him climb all over players having just been blown up for doing so, needs to be smarter about playing the ref.
  • Games tend to be won and lost in midfield. 
    Win the midfield battle and your defence has an easy time. 
    Lose the midfield battle and your defence is put under a lot  of pressure. 
    With our midfield decimated by injuries it's no wonder the defence is making more mistakes. 
    Once our midfield is up and running the defence will be fine.