Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

@FootballerGay on Twitter

Comments

• Options
    Just get on with it, it's 2019 not 1979.

Anyone really care, I don't. 
    Why click on the thread? 

• Options
    Can't wait for his unique insight on the subject.
    I listen to about 15-20 minutes on the way home from work every morning, only because I can't be bothered to change the station.  They had Justin's niece on talking about it, she said she knows a number of gay footballers in the championship and the premier league.  Jamie O'Hara was on the other day saying that he shared a dressing room with 2 gay players, all the other players, coaches etc knew but everyone respected they weren't "out".  Not sure how true that is.

Statistically there should be at least 2 LBGT players in every Premier league 1st team squad. 

I think it was @bobmunro who mentioned the rugby players, apologies if it wasn't.  It's a fair point about the dressing room culture but how many rugby players could walk down the street, especially in a foreign country and not be recognised?    Would the Deli Ali non story this week of happened to someone form an other sport? 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    So - a lot of people seem to be saying "a player's sexuality doesn't matter to me/I couldn't care less" - so on, so forth, similar sentiments.

This is, on the surface of things, all very well and good.

However, it does also present somewhat of a problem, especially in the context of association football. Let me see if I can explain in relative brevity. And I'm fully aware I'm about to sound like a softy liberal type.

My first question would be - do you have to come out if you're straight? Most of you would say "No of course not, that's ludicrous" - and fair enough, because to identify as cisgender (i.e. if your gender identity conforms to your biological sex) and heterosexual is seen as the overwhelming norm throughout the world.

So, to admit that you're different, if you're gay/bi/trans/anything else on the spectrum, somewhere in between things, whatever - that takes 1) an incredible amount of courage to deviate from what is "normal"; 2) a significant period of time where one has to come to terms with "who one is"; and 3) a lot of consideration as to how people will react.

Because there are still homophobes in this world, as much as there are racists and other bigots.

Couple coming out with a sport that is infamous for its historically casually homophobic attitude, and you're in a very difficult position. To say "oh but it won't matter to me/couldn't care less" - sure, fair enough and good on ya, but that sort of ignores the discrimination and hate the LGBTQ+ community face on a daily basis.

It reminds me a little of that Edmund Burke quote - "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [people] to do nothing."

As a footballing community, we should be encouraging people to come out. We should create a space where their sexuality is meaningless. I look forward to the day where no-one gives a toss (much like no-one should give a toss about skin colour). No-one can change their sexuality or gender identity.

And if we can create a space where they're accepted as is (but, of course, being told they're shit at football if they're shit at football or whatever), then we'll be getting there.
    Much of your post is as usual spot on.

You can't say though to encourage people coming out will lead to a space in which their sexuality meaningless. 

If you put everyone who comes out under the microscope it makes it a bigger deal than it is.

I'd be far happier if we learned of these things how we do in normal life or not at all.

This is how I learned a colleague is gay just last week.

He got a promotion and I simply asked:
    "How did you celebrate your promotion"

His response:
    "My partner took me out for a meal, he knew just what would make my day"

I replied simply with something like
    "Where did you go?"

That was it. No highlighting it, just respond as I would have anyone else.

It's not hard to treat LGBTQQIA people normally, Especially if you're an adult with a tiny spec of empathy about not making a big deal of normal things.
  • Options
    There was a nasty attack on two gay women on a bus not long ago. It seems understandable that in the current climate a gay person would watch their back in all circumstances, including weighing up issues around being 'out'.
    I find it hard to believe that this is a cynical money making venture thought up by an U23 footballer, but if there are others giving advice they might venture into exploitation territory.

• Options
    Dazzler, I'd suggest the comment is not aimed at people like you, but the rather the likes of smudge7946 who feel homosexuals are less able to remain professional than 'straight' men.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Their name will certainly be interesting when released

Are they a First-Team player already well known and on the up within the game

Or are they someone actually within an U23 squad, has only really been on loan deep within the Non-League structure, wont get far as a professional Footballer (so many will respond with "WHO!!" when he comes out) and so is now building around this as something to fall back upon

It is disappointing we have to be skeptical of many things in life these days

Whoever they are though I wish them well
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Dazzler, I'd suggest the comment is not aimed at people like you, but the rather the likes of smudge7946 who feel homosexuals are less able to remain professional than 'straight' men.
     Yeah but smudge is the most macho straight of any men ever so all gay men must fancy him.

I think you may be right. I didn't see his post but have scrolled back and seen it... Seriously wtf! 😖
  • Options
    wouldnt be suprised if it is a fringe player as to be starting every match its going to be constant chants of xxxxx takes it up the ass etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    but football fans chanting are the least of the worry as most religions cannot abide homosexuality but we dont call them out as its frowned upon - for another day i feel. 
  • Options
    48 hours to go then..
  • Options
    Hopefully it'll be like when Steve Davies came out. A (welcome) ripple of applause from the media and then get on with the game.
  • Options
    Based on his comment in the statement "i asked questions regarding my place in the first team squad" we can surely assume it's not a major name.

Can't imagine a manager on the phone trying to sell his star player just because they're gay. 

So i'm thinking it's probably a lesser known player.

However regardless of how much this person is applauded, how much support he gets etc, it's absolutely certain he'll get abuse. You only have to look at the chants at Brighton games to know that.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hopefully it'll be like when Steve Davies came out. A (welcome) ripple of applause from the media and then get on with the game.
    Steve Davis is gay?  I honestly never knew that. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Confused me - thought you meant the snooker player.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Leuth said:
    His cricketer near-namesake
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Steve Davies ?
    Steve "interesting" Davies or another Steve Davies ?
    If him I never knew.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Leuth said:
    The former England wicket keeper? 
  • Options
    Based on his comment in the statement "i asked questions regarding my place in the first team squad" we can surely assume it's not a major name.

Can't imagine a manager on the phone trying to sell his star player just because they're gay. 

However regardless of how much this person is applauded, how much support he gets etc, it's absolutely certain he'll get abuse. You only have to look at the chants at Brighton games to know that.
    The only Brighton chant I've heard is hard to get worked up about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Steve Davies ?
    If him I never knew.
    There's an obvious joke here, but I'd better not.
  • Options

Rightly or wrongly the "Brighton" thing isn't about sexuality though is it?  It's a very childish play on stereo types.  There are loads of others. 

Everybody knows not all Brighton fans are gay, Brighton fans know everyone else knows that, everyone knows that Brighton fans know that.  Everybody thinks they are being as funny and original as the fans that sang the same songs the week before.  When the truth is they are being neither.

On a side note I would expect an openly gay player to receive less abuse than one that is subject to rumour and innuendo.  Remember the England International that was "outed" because of the newspaper he read!?! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Rightly or wrongly the "Brighton" thing isn't about sexuality though is it?  It's a very childish play on stereo types.  There are loads of others. 

Everybody knows not all Brighton fans are gay, Brighton fans know everyone else knows that, everyone knows that Brighton fans know that.  Everybody thinks they are being as funny and original as the fans that sang the same songs the week before.  When the truth is they are being neither.

On a side note I would expect an openly gay player to receive less abuse than one that is subject to rumour and innuendo.  Remember the England International that was "outed" because of the newspaper he read!?! 
    The only Brighton chants I've heard are only really referencing the fact that Brighton has a large gay community - they're not virulently homophobic as far as I can see?

Most chants as you say are just based on stereotypes of the area where the opposing support come from.
  • Options
    Personally think it’s fake. 
  • Options
    I saw this on twitter.

i hope it is genuine but I have my doubts

I was listening to Talksport late last night and a journalist who was on said that he'd engaged with him privately and was sure it was genuine.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I saw this on twitter.

i hope it is genuine but I have my doubts

I was listening to Talksport late last night and a journalist who was on said that he'd engaged with him privately and was sure it was genuine.
    When you say "engaged with him privately"..?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Steve Davies ?
    If him I never knew.
    There's an obvious joke here, but I'd better not.
    Now now! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just get on with it, it's 2019 not 1979.

Anyone really care, I don't. 
    Why click on the thread? 

I don't think he means he literally doesn't care, he is saying why does anyone care its 2019 eg. its normal...
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Leuth said:
    Not Steve Davis the snooker player but Steve Davies the cricketer.

The difference an 'e' makes.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!