Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greenwich pub crawl

Comments

• Options
    Youngs are opening a pub in the old Enderby House which is just a little further along than the Cutty Sark/Pelton Arms. Might not be open for a while yet though.
    Since they got out of making their own beer, they’re dead to me. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    very jealous on a day like today. Enjoy mate
    You can come if you want mate ......... you don't look too well so I would suggest you go home "sick"!

I may post updates on this thread as we go along, just to rub it in for those sat in work .....
    cheers mate but got my boys after work. My lunchtime pub was £5.30 a Guinness, hope your wallet fares better!
  • Options
    Richard and Kings Arms ticked off. Now outside the Gypsy Moth.

Bootiful!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    very jealous on a day like today. Enjoy mate
    You can come if you want mate ......... you don't look too well so I would suggest you go home "sick"!

I may post updates on this thread as we go along, just to rub it in for those sat in work .....
    cheers mate but got my boys after work. My lunchtime pub was £5.30 a Guinness, hope your wallet fares better!
    £5.85 (I think) for me for a pint of Neck Oil in the Sipping Room in CW.
  • Options
    Prince of Greenwich no longer a gay pub. Plume of Feathers is a great building with rubbish beer....it's also got a Palace pennant hanging behind the bar...

Traf is a shadow of what it was...Yacht too....Cutty Sark is great to sit outside...Pelton is good, but - as others have said - do walk on to the River Ale House for one... The Van on a Friday is 'vinyl evening'...very loud music blasting out and a few 'geezers' usually hanging around...
    Depends what you mean by beer. If it's real ale you are after then the Plume is the only pub in central Greenwich where you are guaranteed a decent pint. They have Harvey's Best on all the time. It's a proper boozer and in my opinion the best pub in SE London.
  • Options
    Plume of feathers
    Is the Palace supporting landlady still in charge?...Lovely women despite that.
  • Options
    Is the Star and Garter still open?
  • Options
    Yes she is. She’s a proper sort her. Speaking from a woman’s perspective. 
  • Options
    "Would rather be forced my own cock and balls then drink in the Union."

Afraid of good beer now are we 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Extremely flirtatious...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Riviera said:
    Prince of Greenwich no longer a gay pub. Plume of Feathers is a great building with rubbish beer....it's also got a Palace pennant hanging behind the bar...

Traf is a shadow of what it was...Yacht too....Cutty Sark is great to sit outside...Pelton is good, but - as others have said - do walk on to the River Ale House for one... The Van on a Friday is 'vinyl evening'...very loud music blasting out and a few 'geezers' usually hanging around...
    Depends what you mean by beer. If it's real ale you are after then the Plume is the only pub in central Greenwich where you are guaranteed a decent pint. They have Harvey's Best on all the time. It's a proper boozer and in my opinion the best pub in SE London.
    Fair enough.. I think they have a limited choice although not had the Harvey's before, so maybe I'm missing out...  I love a real ale...as evidenced by my love of the River Ale House.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    "Would rather be forced my own cock and balls then drink in the Union."

Afraid of good beer now are we 
    I like the Union, and the pub next to it (Richard  IV or something). They Union is pretty expensive however and feels a bit corporate-y but I suppose the whole Meantime thing feels that way these days. 

Also, there is no standard of behaviour too low for Belushi’s, so it’s a good place to finish up if things are going south. 
  • Options
    Trafalgar - good, Yacht - awful now ticked off

late evening sunshine 
  • Options
    lost hour 
    You drink fast!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Off_it said:
    Cheers for the suggestions.

I used to like the Spanish Galleon, but became too much of a tourist trap. And I also went off Neame beers.

The Plume is just a bit off the route we are planning as we want to minimise walking time to maximise drinking time.

Would rather be forced my own cock and balls then drink in the Union. And the Prince is a gay pub, so not really our thing. The Morden is a strange pub - not always open but when it is its empty.

The Mitre would normally be on the list, but the plan is to cut through the park from the Richard to take in the Kings Arms instead.

Makes you realise that Greenwich is still pretty good for boozers though.
    Regards The Prince.

I had a cracking night out years ago in Comptons on Old Compton Street.  £1.50 a pint could not be missed.

A bit of a diversion on a Greenwich pub crawl though.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Prince of Greenwich was indeed a gay pub, but for a number of years has been run by an Italian family and it is fantastic. Has to be on the list for a comprehensive Greenwich pub crawl.
    Not that you are insinuating, I cannot see a problem drinking in a Village People boozer.
  • Options
    Frog & Radiator, purely for the name.
    Long gone. Now a Thai restaurant. 
  • Options
    Plume of feathers

Every year when we were kids, my old man used to take a day off during the summer holidays and take us to the Maritime museum.

We'd always go in the Plume first and have a coke and ham roll. I'm sure it was an opportunity for him to have a crafty pint as well.

The Plume is a decent family run pub. Always a fair selection of ales available. James the guvnor is a Palace fan - so what? It is still a decent pub frequented by a fair number of Charlton fans. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Richard and Kings Arms ticked off. Now outside the Gypsy Moth.

Bootiful!
    Crickey, he was only serious!
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Curb_It said:
    Extremely flirtatious...
    Reckon off it has been rendered senseless! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Bit old for me but a couple of 'lads' I go with like her.
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Plume of feathers

Every year when we were kids, my old man used to take a day off during the summer holidays and take us to the Maritime museum.

We'd always go in the Plume first and have a coke and ham roll. I'm sure it was an opportunity for him to have a crafty pint as well.

The Plume is a decent family run pub. Always a fair selection of ales available. James the guvnor is a Palace fan - so what? It is still a decent pub frequented by a fair number of Charlton fans. 
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Plume of feathers

Usually go in there after the game....decent pub.
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Frog & Radiator, purely for the name.
    Long gone. Now a Thai restaurant. 
    Don't ever think of eating there.
  • Options
    The Union may be a little more expensive but it also has a really great selection of beers. I know a boozer isn't a boozer unless the publican is constantly ordering everyone out and the beer is all CAMRA-approved octuple-hopped bitter and IPA (a proper pint!) but I'll take somewhere with decent Belgian sours over that any time
  • Options
    The plume is a lovely little boozer..my favourite in the area ....as a young buck some 40 years ago used to like the Gloucester 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Ticked off all the pubs on the list and ended up in the Royal Standard, just down from the Pelton. Very much a local pub for local people. I think they thought we were Old Bill, they were that surprised to see new faces in there.

Plus the Yacht. Absolutely shocking service in there.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The Union may be a little more expensive but it also has a really great selection of beers. I know a boozer isn't a boozer unless the publican is constantly ordering everyone out and the beer is all CAMRA-approved octuple-hopped bitter and IPA (a proper pint!) but I'll take somewhere with decent Belgian sours over that any time
    The beers in The Union are awful. The pub is awful.
  • Options
    I’ve always liked The Yacht, but the Royal Standard is an absolute dive. Used to live on Pelton Road and would always bypass it to go to the Pelton Arms (IMO the best pub in Greenwich)
  • Options
    Weirdest windows in the world in the yacht. If you sit next to them you can see nothing out of them. Bizarre.

And the bar staff were a total shambles.