Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor will be a major success next season

Comments

• He needs to do two things:-
    1:Keep his temperament in check like he did 2nd half of season.
    2. When he goes wide to collect a ball and lay it off to FB, rather than stand and watch a cross, needs to get back in the mixer.
    There's a flaw in your reasoning as
    Lyle Taylor is a striker and a winger,
    Look at his stats.
    Goals and assists galore. He puts the crosses in.
    The Taylor Grant partnership was so good because both of them could play out wide or in the box. So when Lyle was in the box Grant would cross from the left, and when Karlan was central, Taylor would cross from the right. A simple ploy which worked so well.
  • Glad to see some aren't getting too ahead of themselves.

Lee Gregory had a work rate that was/is second to none and he was hardly prolific for us in the Championship.

I think some are in for a bit of a shock after coming out of a really poor League One (bar the top 5/6 sides) and in to a Championship where a £10M+ player isn't a rare sight.

Taylor is a good  player, of that there is no doubt. However, he's not the second coming as some seem to be alluding to.

I get that he's your player and you're really proud of him but some of the over emotive nonsense is cringeworthy.

Anyway, here's to both South London clubs surviving the season.

I am inclined to agree!
    I think Lyle is capable of making an impact,  but I am not convinced we are going to have a strong enough squad to facilitate that. Hope I'm wrong.
    Not sure if that many are getting ahead of themselves as you put it, but the thread title suggests some are imo
  • Well you have said you think he is capable of making an impact which agrees with the sentiment of the thread. At this point, none of us know what the strength of the squad that opens the season will be. That is another matter of course.  

Lee Gregory had a work rate that was/is second to none and he was hardly prolific for us in the Championship.

I think some are in for a bit of a shock after coming out of a really poor League One (bar the top 5/6 sides) and in to a Championship where a £10M+ player isn't a rare sight.

Taylor is a good  player, of that there is no doubt. However, he's not the second coming as some seem to be alluding to.

I get that he's your player and you're really proud of him but some of the over emotive nonsense is cringeworthy.

I am inclined to agree!
    I think Lyle is capable of making an impact,  but I am not convinced we are going to have a strong enough squad to facilitate that. Hope I'm wrong.
    Not sure if that many are getting ahead of themselves as you put it, but the thread title suggests some are imo

Agreed that he'll make an impact. He seems like the sort of player that thrives on pressure and likes a challenge.

The step up from League One to the Championship is bigger than ever, due to obvious reasons.

Okay, 'getting ahead of themselves' was maybe a touch 'over emotive', as one erstwhile, handsome poster would put it, but the point stands.

I hope he does do well as I think your safety in the division will rest largely on Taylor's shoulders. We are not without similar issues.

• Well you have said you think he is capable of making an impact which agrees with the sentiment of the thread. At this point, none of us know what the strength of the squad that opens the season will be. That is another matter of course.  
    I probably ought to stress that I see a big difference between making (some sort of) impact and being a "major success".
    I truly hope you are right MuttleyCAFC, but I am a natural glass half empty type and have visions of him hardly seeing the ball and possibly losing his discipline as a result

Absolutely, I loved this Charlton side last year and can't wait for next season to see them have a bash. However, I watched a lot of championship football indoors last year and shuddered at us having to compete with the quick tempo, quick and precise switching, amount of players who can just glide past people, strikers whose speed closing down would cause our defence  problems whilst trying to play out, players who don't need 5 chances to score. I could go on but the fact is Charlton, Luton, Barnsley players are going to need a lot of additions to help them through this. Taylor for one is probably going to have to reign his all over the pitch antics in and just concentrate on the final 1/3rd to ensure when that chance does come he's not knackered from trying to do too much. 
  • edited July 2019
    Millwall finished 8th two seasons ago. We have a better manager, better support, better players, better footballing style and we know how to get a result under difficult circumstances. If they can survive, and we keep it up with the shrewd signings there are no doubts from me that we will stay up.

Millwall, Barnsley and Reading for the drop 
  • Sponsored links:

• Millwall finished 8th two seasons ago. We have a better manager, better support, better players, better footballing style and we know how to get a result under difficult circumstances. If they can survive, and we keep it up with the shrewd signings there are no doubts from me that we will stay up.

Better players than we had in the team that finished 8th? Sorry but that's not true, if that's what you meant.

If it's comparing the squads as they currently stand I'd say that there isn't too much between them (our defence, I'd say, is stronger and has far more Championship experience), mainly due to us having released so many players and not fully replacing them as yet. If we sign the rumoured players we're interested in (Mahoney, Lowe, Moore, Nketiah and Kane) then I reckon we're in a stronger position than yourselves. We've also already signed established Championship players so far (Fielding, Pearce, Smith).

That's not to say that you wont have some momentum from last season, much like when we finished 8th.

Re the managers, both have won a play-off final. The difference is that Harris has got two years' of Championship management under him, whereas Bowyer hasn't. Not a lot in it but somewhat of a disingenuous comment to suggest that LB is a better manager as it doesn't seem as though it's based on anything tangible.

• edited July 2019
    Millwall finished 8th two seasons ago. We have a better manager, better support, better players, better footballing style and we know how to get a result under difficult circumstances. If they can survive, and we keep it up with the shrewd signings there are no doubts from me that we will stay up.

Better players than we had in the team that finished 8th? Sorry but that's not true, if that's what you meant.

If it's comparing the squads as they currently stand I'd say that there isn't too much between them (our defence, I'd say, is stronger and has far more Championship experience), mainly due to us having released so many players and not fully replacing them as yet. If we sign the rumoured players we're interested in (Mahoney, Lowe, Moore, Nketiah and Kane) then I reckon we're in a stronger position than yourselves. We've also already signed established Championship players so far (Fielding, Pearce, Smith).

That's not to say that you wont have some momentum from last season, much like when we finished 8th.

Re the managers, both have won a play-off final. The difference is that Harris has got two years' of Championship management under him, whereas Bowyer hasn't. Not a lot in it but somewhat of a disingenuous comment to suggest that LB is a better manager as it doesn't seem as though it's based on anything tangible.

We have the better players now. Not fussed about championship experience, we fought in this league recently with crap managers and crap players, it's not a big deal as it's made out to be.

You probably won't get any of those players mentioned, you can't afford Lowe or Moore, it's a smoke screen to please fans by the looks of things. Submit bids that won't be accepted to stop the fans moaning, Moore is valued at 3 mill, Lowe at 2.5, Millwall don't spend that kind of money. If you do then fair enough but history says you won't, I doubt you will get Kane, most likely destination is Hull, Nketiah I would say no chance, Nketiah won't be going anywhere for a while and if he does it will not be Millwall, Arsenal won't want one of their young talents going to a club where their fans give players dogs abuse if they don't put a shift in. Rumours like that are fabricated just like on here, someone on your forum has posted 'ive heard Nketiah' now the news is traveling.

As for Bowyer being a better manager it's a hunch more than anything, the vast majority of your fan base from what I saw wanted him (Harris) gone before he turned it around last season, some still do. I've watched both sides and we play better football, I also think Bowyer is a better mentor for players so there is that. In ten years I think Bowyer will have more credentials the way things look now.

I'll never wish Millwall well, even if there is the rarity of a normal fan, the only reason I want us to be in the same league is a chance to get one over on you, 90% of your  fans are proper weapons, maybe more
  • Millwall finished 8th two seasons ago. We have a better manager, better support, better players, better footballing style and we know how to get a result under difficult circumstances. If they can survive, and we keep it up with the shrewd signings there are no doubts from me that we will stay up.

We have the better players now. Not fussed about championship experience, we fought in this league recently with crap managers and crap players, it's not a big deal as it's made out to be.

You probably won't get any of those players mentioned, you can't afford Lowe or Moore, it's a smoke screen to please fans by the looks of things. Submit bids that won't be accepted to stop the fans moaning, Moore is valued at 3 mill, Lowe at 2.5, Millwall don't spend that kind of money. If you do then fair enough but history says you won't, I doubt you will get Kane, most likely destination is Hull, Nketiah I would say no chance, Nketiah won't be going anywhere for a while and if he does it will not be Millwall, Arsenal won't want one of their young talents going to a club where their fans give players dogs abuse if they don't put a shift in. Rumours like that are fabricated just like on here, someone on your forum has posted 'ive heard Nketiah' now the news is traveling.

As for Bowyer being a better manager it's a hunch more than anything, the vast majority of your fan base from what I saw wanted him gone before he turned it around last season, some still do. I've watched both sides and we play better football, I also think Bowyer is a better mentor for players so there is that. In ten years I think Bowyer will have more credentials the way things look now.

I'll never wish Millwall well, even if there is the rarity of a normal fan, the only reason I want us to be in the same league is a chance to get one over on you, 90% of your  fans are proper weapons, maybe more

That's somewhat of a retraction. To go from 'we have a better manager' to 'it's a hunch more than anything' is a bit of a step down.

We most definitely can afford Lowe and Moore. No point in going in to the why's as I've explained it in other threads. As for Nketiah, these rumours were around a while ago and have gained more traction recently.

I'll never wish Charlton any ill will, regardless of the huge amount of supposition in your post ;)

As for Bowyer being a better manager it's a hunch more than anything, the vast majority of your fan base from what I saw wanted him gone before he turned it around last season, some still do. I've watched both sides and we play better football, I also think Bowyer is a better mentor for players so there is that. In ten years I think Bowyer will have more credentials the way things look now.

That's somewhat of a retraction. To go from 'we have a better manager' to 'it's a hunch more than anything' is a bit of a step down.

We most definitely can afford Lowe and Moore. No point in going in to the why's as I've explained it in other threads. As for Nketiah, these rumours were around a while ago and have gained more traction recently.

I'll never wish Charlton any ill will, regardless of the huge amount of supposition in your post ;)

Yes, a hunch based on what I have seen. There are no guarantees in football, but based on the things I have seen Bowyer is and will continue to be the better manager imo. Football is opinions, that's it. As things stand Harris has obviously achieved more so I can't outright say he is better so my reasoning has to be a hunch/belief/what I have seen so far. 

We will just have to revisit that on the players front, if I am wrong I'm wrong.

That's good to hear, fortunately for me I'll never have to post something like that to an audience of Millwall fans because I couldn't think of many things worse to do than sign up to a rivals fans forums and look to get a few bites every now and then 

If what Cawley posted the other day is true then Nketiah will be going to Bristol City or the Bundesliga.

Yes, a hunch based on what I have seen. There are no guarantees in football, but based on the things I have seen Bowyer is and will continue to be the better manager imo. Football is opinions, that's it. As things stand Harris has obviously achieved more so I can't outright say he is better so my reasoning has to be a hunch/belief/what I have seen so far. 

We will just have to revisit that on the players front, if I am wrong I'm wrong.

That's good to hear, fortunately for me I'll never have to post something like that to an audience of Millwall fans because I couldn't think of many things worse to do than sign up to a rivals fans forums and look to get a few bites every now and then 

WE ARE NOT RIVALS.

It's a local derby, nothing more.

I'm not here to get bites. Never have been. I'll make some sarcastic comments but they're never designed to get a bite. Raise a smile from those that 'get it' (present company excluded by the sounds of things)? absolutely.

I'm pleased to hear that you'd never venture outside of your comfort zone.

If what Cawley posted the other day is true then Nketiah will be going to Bristol City or the Bundesliga.
    The Bundesliga was mentioned back in January but didn't happen for whatever reason. Have also heard about the Bristol City interest.

Hopefully we can pip whoever it is. Stranger things have happened.

WE ARE NOT RIVALS.

I'm not here to get bites. Never have been. I'll make some sarcastic comments but they're never designed to get a bite. Raise a smile from those that 'get it' (present company excluded by the sounds of things)? absolutely.

Not rivals in what sense? Fair enough if you recognise that we are a far more achieved club than you, are recognised for the right reasons and not for featuring in about 15 budget football hooligan films. I was trying to be friendly by saying you are our rivals, if you think you're that much smaller than us, then that is that I guess.

What do you mean by comfort zone? Venturing outside of my comfort zone would be something along the lines of going for a mountain hike despite a fear of heights, I wouldn't class going on a Millwall fans forum full of numpties as out of my comfort zone, just have no real interest in having a chat with again a largely pond life fan base. 

WE ARE NOT RIVALS.

Not rivals in what sense? Fair enough if you recognise that we are a far more achieved club than you, are recognised for the right reasons and not for featuring in about 15 budget football hooligan films. I was trying to be friendly by saying you are our rivals, if you think you're that much smaller than us, then that is that I guess.

What do you mean by comfort zone? Venturing outside of my comfort zone would be something along the lines of going for a mountain hike despite a fear of heights, I wouldn't class going on a Millwall fans forum full of numpties as out of my comfort zone, just have no real interest in having a chat with again a largely pond life fan base. 

Of course we're smaller than you. You're absolutely a sleeping giant in English football. How could I ever even think about comparing the clubs on an equal footing? That would be nothing short of ludicrous.

Re the rival, in the sense that you're not a rival. Most people on here, I believe, get that. It's a local derby. One to look forward to. Not a rivalry.

Weapons, pond life, numpties? Trying to be friendly, you say? :D

Is your middle name cactus?

• Philosopher Lee (Socrates) Bowyer calls it right about what's to come. "We'll find out" says he, and "It is what it is".
  • Sponsored links:

• One thing Lyle has to do is be smarter... Cant be wrestling with Defenders like he was in League One, they're quicker, bigger and more clever up here

If he continues how he was last year then I see another regular occurance of him sitting on the floor with his arms out questioning why we dont have a free kick

WE ARE NOT RIVALS.

Of course we're smaller than you. You're absolutely a sleeping giant in English football. How could I ever even think about comparing the clubs on an equal footing? That would be nothing short of ludicrous.

Re the rival, in the sense that you're not a rival. Most people on here, I believe, get that. It's a local derby. One to look forward to. Not a rivalry.

Weapons, pond life, numpties? Trying to be friendly, you say? :D

Is your middle name cactus?

Bit OTT, but I guess that's what happens when you never win the FA cup or watch your side play premier league football.

As already said if you don't see it as a rivalry that's fair enough, I genuinely didn't realise Millwall fans had us that far ahead of you. 

You don't seem like a typical Millwall fan so my posts have been alright towards you, all I've done is describe a large part of your fan base for what they are, doubt most people would disagree.

Anyway this back and forth has gone on a couple posts too many for my liking, the thread is about the best striker from league 1 last season and if he can make the step up this season, we will know the answer to that when he has your fan base on strings at your place
  • You do you @Braziliance

Keep smiling.
  • Different players I know, but we all saw BWP rip league 1 apart then struggle in the Championship with everyone expecting more.

Hope Lyle doesnt go the same way, but just to expect him to score loads in the Championship because he did in League 1 isnt ideal.

That being said, I hope in 10 months someone is quoting this when Lyle gets 30
    You could have made me feel more confident by comparing him to Yann!!

But BWP is probably one of the best examples in a Charlton shirt
  • You do you @Braziliance

Keep smiling.
    Meant to ask.  What happened to SparrowsLaneLion that used to post on here?  Would you know? 
  • Curb_It said:
    You do you @Braziliance

Keep smiling.
    Meant to ask.  What happened to SparrowsLaneLion that used to post on here?  Would you know? 
    Got kidnapped with Millwall fan by Pompy fans at Waterloo. 
    Never seen again. 
  • Different players I know, but we all saw BWP rip league 1 apart then struggle in the Championship with everyone expecting more.

Hope Lyle doesnt go the same way, but just to expect him to score loads in the Championship because he did in League 1 isnt ideal.

BWP was a confidence player and his levels went down in League One. At his best he was unplayable and would have been a success in the Championship.

Millwall will never have the potential we have. It doesn't matter if we are in the same division, they are an inferior club and always will be.

BWP was a confidence player and his levels went down in League One. At his best he was unplayable and would have been a success in the Championship.

Millwall will never have the potential we have. It doesn't matter if we are in the same division, they are an inferior club and always will be.
    BWP was very good at his best but if he wasn’t scoring there was only so much he could offer outside the box. Haynes made a bigger impact in the Championship due to his pace, as well as being bigger and stronger than BWP.

Taylor is more like Yann, a much more all round player. I remember some being unsure about Yann after he had a slow start in the Championship, but he had too much to his game not to make an impact.

With more money in the Championship since then you could argue the standard is higher, but I can still see Taylor doing well.