Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Food: Vietnamese or Chinese?

i must admit my preference is now Vietnamese although good Sichuan cooking takes some beating. 

Comments

• Options
    Chinese! Yum 
  • Options
    Don't really know Vietnamese food, but like Chinese.
    Any recommendations for a Vietnamese place in SE London?
  • Options
    I love both which makes Yunnan the perfect place to live.

Can't beat a super fiery Chongqing hotpot though, yumyum.
  • Options
    I love both which makes Yunnan the perfect place to live.

Can't beat a super fiery Chongqing hotpot though, yumyum.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Bahn Bahn in Peckham is absolutely amazing. There’s also a place called Bar Om in Peckham that gets lots of praise, and is pretty good, but not as good as Bahn Bahn.

Vietnamese seems to be the in thing at the moment.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    iainment said:
    Bahn Bahn in Peckham is absolutely amazing. There’s also a place called Bar Om in Peckham that gets lots of praise, and is pretty good, but not as good as Bahn Bahn.

Vietnamese seems to be the in thing at the moment.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Vietnamese still retains that indefinable French influence .. basically French meets Chinese(ish)
  • Options
    Vietnamese still retains that indefinable French influence .. basically French meets Chinese(ish)
    This. 
  • Options
    Proper Chinese food knocks the spots off of other food but so hard to find outside China.
  • Options
    The Royal China Club in Baker Street knocks up some good grub but also the cost. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I never like hotpots despite being Chinese. I don't see the attraction at all. For me Vietnamese (and also Thai) food is so much better than a Chinese hotpot. Most of my colleagues and friends love hotpots though.

That said, Chinese food in general is better than Vietnamese I think. We are a big country so there are countless choices! The food here is what I love about my country the most😍
  • Options
    I never like hotpots despite being Chinese. I don't see the attraction at all. For me Vietnamese (and also Thai) food is so much better than a Chinese hotpot. Most of my colleagues and friends love hotpots though.

That said, Chinese food in general is better than Vietnamese I think. We are a big country so there are countless choices! The food here is what I love about my country the most😍
    Lived in Singapore for a while...if there was ever a nation so obsessed with food it has to be Singapore.
  • Options
    As Bryan Robson once said, "Chinese food". 
  • Options
    Veitnamese but only ever had it a handful of times as have not found anywhere near me that does it well
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Urban Orient in Crystal Palace.
  • Options
    Vietnamese for soups, Chinese for stir fry’s. Thai better than both of them. 
  • Options
    Is this a veiled way of asking if I am a cat or dog person?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Cafe Mama Pho in Deptford (actually closer to Surrey Quays station though) is by far the best Vietnamese I’ve ate in London. It’s a very small place, under a dozen tables, and you can’t book so expect to queue outside at weekends. Well worth it though. 
  • Options
    Good Viet place in East St Bromley.

Mandarin Palace in Bromley also good.

• Options
    Vietnamese and also Filipino, fantastic food.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Basically I love anything (veggie in my case) from Asia and the Middle East (which is of course in Asia). What I miss most about living in London is the ease of finding decent nosebag.
  • Options
    Where do you live these days then bloke in Córdoba?
  • Options
    Surely 

NapaAddick said:
    Is this a veiled way of asking if I am a cat or dog person?
    Is a post with racial stereotyping going on...

• Options
    edited June 2019
    iainment said:
    @iainment There are two good ones near Surrey Docks station, one on the main road back towards Deptford (Cafe Mama Pho - I've just seen stone roses mentioned it) and one at the far end of the shopping centre car park, quite a good on in Crystal Palace opposite the White Hart, and I've heard there's a good one on Deptford High St but never been there, 

• Options
    At the cafe end of the market, I prefer Vietnamese, but at the high end, Chinese is far better.
  • Options
    Good Viet place in East St Bromley.

Mandarin Palace in Bromley also good.

I meet my mate who works at the Council in the MP. Great lunch menu and food is excellent.

• Options
    Sichuan is my favourite but hard to find anywhere authentic 

I know a good Japanese home cooked place that's quite reasonably priced, Taro, http://www.tarorestaurants.co.uk/home/Menu/2
  • Options
    Boom said:
    Where do you live these days then bloke in Córdoba?
    Devon, it is the Andalucia of England but with marginally better Asian food.
  • Options
    Chinese

Spent 2 weeks in Vietnam earlier this year and wasn't overexcited by the food. Of course I had some excellent meals but I definitely prefer Chinese or Thai cooking