Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 5-10 Moments in YOUR Charlton History

edited June 2019 in General Charlton
PopIcon said:
cafctom said:
Imagine being offended by a light hearted joke that is in our favour based on one of the greatest days in our history.

Yes it will probably come back to bite us, but who fecking cares? Really? 
I would not describe the league one final play off win as one of our greatest days in our history. Not to say I didn't have a wonderful day.

The above post has me wondering what are our top 5 for each poster in their lifetime.

For me I could look back as far as 1988 when I was born, but instead I look back to 

5️⃣

5th December 1992 - Return to the Valley, Personally I don't remember it, but I think I've read every article about it. 

4️⃣

26 May 2019 - Play Off Final - So much emotion and knowing believing we needed to win to help the sale of the club and Bow's nestles his way into our hearts. 

3️⃣

25 May - 1998 Play Off Final - What A Game, will never experience a game like it again, A little young to truly appreciate what was going on.

2️⃣

5 May 2012 - Promotion to the Championship under Powell - I love this man so much. He rebuilt our club from scraps. 

1️⃣

7 May 2000 - Promotion to the Premier League as Champions - Ahead of Man City, I was aged 12 and was able to really enjoy it.

Star on Google Android 801st July 2019 Roland Duchatelet Sells the club. Come on, you know it'd be the number one for most fans... But it's better than that for me, it defines our entire future.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    (1) Promotion to the Championship under Powell
    Only missed a few games in this season both home and away, started off doing a load of away games in the end Id done so many on the trot I thought; Why stop

(2) Promotion to the Championship under Bowyer
    We shouldnt have done it, probably the best squad we've had in terms of the bond between the players

(3) Promotion to the Premier League in 2000
    It was the Curbs golden year for me... Great squad and great run of form that saw us get promoted

(4) 1998 Play-Off Final
    Why so low and why below 2019... I was less of a fan than what I am now, it does disappoint me a little

(5) Charlton 0-0 Stoke City in 1994
    It was my first ever game at the Valley
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Mine have changed over the years since taking my sons to the valley. 

1) 2019 play off final. 
    2) 2019 play off semi final second leg.
    3) Charlton 2-2 Fulham 2015 when Jackson came off the bench and equalised with his first touch in the game, header from a corner, my son's were both mascots. 
    4) The 1998 play off final. 
    5) Charlton 1-0 Walsall, 2012, my eldest sons first game. 

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Not in order:

2019 Play off final
    2019 semi against Donnie
    1985 1 1 draw with spurs at WHL in the FAC
    3 2 win at Carlisle to gain promotion to Div 1 in 86
    Beating Man U 1 0 at Old Trafford in 86
    Beating Norwich 2 1 with a last minute goal at Selhurst in 87 to make the Full Members Final at Wembley
    The Full members final. It was a shit game and not many of us there but we were at Wembley, something I never thought I’d see
    1987 Play off final against Leeds
    Paul Curtis scoring a late winner at Fulham in 85, our first away victory in over a year.
    First game back against Pompey

• Options
    edited June 2019
    If we're talking moments, then to me it has to be specific games or even events in games. Both the 2000 and 2012 promotions suffered for me in that in the former we were promoted without playing while for the latter it was a matter of time before we would get promoted that season, and I wasn't in Carlisle anyway . Hence my top 5 might be

1) Ilic save 1998 Wembley
    The ultimate moment really, as that one save meant everything

2) Bauer goal 2018 Wembley
    Only L1 and not quite the end of the game, but near enough!

3) Kim Grant coming out to warm up before the 1992 return
    I think he was the first Charlton player who came out, it was that which set me off!

4) Chelsea 1988 final whistle
    Final whistle, jubilation, relief and concern at what the Chelsea fans would do next!

5) Schmeichel sending off, Old Trafford 1994
    6th round of the FA Cup, Man U down to 10 men, could be win? (no of course)

Honourable mention to Dillon's penalty save in the semi final.

• Options
    Play-off 1998. 

Back to The Valley - the election count at Woolwich Town Hall and the game at The Valley are inextricably linked for me. 

Play-off 2019. 

2-0 in the snow at the toolbox. 

Champions of the second division under Curbs. 
  • Options
    Nothing beats the Prem win at Highbury. We were totally outplayed yet we thrashed them. 
    The moments after the final whistle will live in my memory forever. 
  • Options
    In no particular order
    The run to the play-off final in 1998
    The play off final at crappy old Wembley in 1998
    The play off final at shiny new Wembley in 2019
    Winning the 3rd division under SCP
    Lisbie inspired victory over Liverpool at The Valley
    Shaun Bartlett's goal of the season
    Meeting Gary Nelson at the London 2012 Olympics
    Winning the 2nd division in 2000 under Curbs
  • Options
    2019 PO Final
    1998 PO Final
    Champions edging out Man City

Below could be in any order Really, just games and moments I enjoyed
    Ipswich away 4-4
    Millwall Away 2-2
    Ipswich Home 1-0 (PO)
    Man City Home 4-0
    Palace Home 2-2
    Man Utd Away 1-3 
    Arsenal Away 4-2
  • Options
    Only missed a few games in this season both home and away, started off doing a load of away games in the end Id done so many on the trot I thought; Why stop

We shouldnt have done it, probably the best squad we've had in terms of the bond between the players

It was the Curbs golden year for me... Great squad and great run of form that saw us get promoted

(4) 1998 Play-Off Final
    Why so low and why below 2019... I was less of a fan than what I am now, it does disappoint me a little

Rather than seasons or games themselves, the actual player moments for me are:

Dean Kiely's saves against Birmingham City
    Claus Jensen's goal against Arsenal
    John Robinson's goal against Man Utd in the 3-3 draw
    Sasa Ilic save in the '98 Play-Off Final
    Patrick Bauer's goal in the '19 Play-Off Final
    Bradley Wright-Phillips' goal when we won promotion @ Carlisle
    Kyle Reid's goal against Southend when we won 2-1 on a Friday night
    Schmeichel's sending off in the FA Cup (one of my all time memories of the competition will be him walking off the pitch)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    10. Discovering who Charlton was in 2013.
    9. First hearing about the return to The Valley in 2014.
    8. Deciding to make Charlton my team in 2015.
    7. The firing of Robinson 
    6. The day this year when one of Roland’s buildings burned down
    5. When Meire left
    4. Re-signing of Bowyer
    3. Beating Luton this year 3-1. 
    2. Beating Sunderland in the final
    1. When Roland sold to the Aussies for £70M.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    In no particular order, but all matches I've attended and only 1 at The Valley.

5th December 1992
    Play off final 2019
    Play off final 1998
    St Andrews 1987
    6-0 win at Oakwell 2013
    1-0 win at Anfield 2004
    1-0 win at Old Trafford 1986
    Battle of the Bridge 1988
    4-2 win at Highbury 2001
    3-2 win at Carlisle 1981

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Top 4 Charlton moments:

2019 Playoff Final v Sunderland 2-1: what a finish & so important to the club’s future
    1998 Playoff Final v Sunderland 4-4
    1992 Return to the Valley v Portsmouth 1-0: wonderful to be back
    2015 Promotion secured at Carlisle: great day out

Others that stay long in the memory (too tired to remember some of the dates though):

1. Standing outside Woolwich Town Hall in the rain when LBG finally approved and announced the return to the valley.
    2. Alan Simonsen’s reserve team midweek debut - didn’t matter who we played
    3. 4-1 home win over Spurs in the 1970’s
    4. 2019 Playoff Semi Final 2nd leg v Doncaster 2-3; what an atmosphere
    5. 1979 v Maidstone (FA Cup) Hales/Flanagan fight - I really was there, standing at pitch side 
    6. 1983 v Ipswich Town (FA Cup) 2-3 : nearly upset the Bobby Robson’s Kings of Europe Gods by going 2-0 up. So close to a major upset
    7. 1999 v Aston Villa 4-3 away win: Brown goes in goal, had to win to have a chance of staying up
    8. 1989 - fans volunteering to clean up the Valley for the big return. Emotional high!

• Options
    Not in order:

- 2019 Play Off Final - agony and ecstasy 
    - 2019 Play Off semi final home leg - the best atmosphere I’ve ever witnessed at The Valley
    - Jon Fortune!
    - Preston at The Valley 1975
    - 1998 Play Off final
    - 2000 Bobby Robson presenting League Championship
    - Chelsea 4-2
    - Arsenal 1-0 (Deano’s Save).
    - Norwich at The Valley Boxing Day 1997 - the fist game I took my beautiful boys to.

• Options
    The 2 (two) wins I’ve seen against Millwall (John Hendry at Upton Park and the 2-0 at the valley in 96)(I”m 50 next year ffs)
    lots of matches already mentioned but the battle of the bridge and the Leeds play off at St. Andrews seem crucial to our existence looking back. 
    Away from matches, the announcement at the town hall that we were returning home.

• Options

1    play off final replay St Andrews v LEEDS UTD  May 1987 2-1 win.

2    Back to The Valley 5 Dec 1992..v Portsmouth 1-0 win

3    Swansea City reserves Nov 9 1982 SIMONSEN Debut 4-1 win

4    Carlise Utd away  May 1986 Back up to division 1 ..first time in 29 years.

5    Sunderland 1998 Wembley 4-4......7-6pens.

FEW MORE GAMES WOULD GET INTO MY TOP TEN BEFORE WEMBLEY 2019...

MAN U AWAY 1986

Chelsea away 1988 battle of the bridge

Palace away fa cup jan 1969.

• Options
    1. 1998 Playoff win
    2. CAFC 5-4 Cardiff - the emotion of the occasion and represents my Powell love and era of going to games with my daughter
    3. CAFC 1-0 Ipswich - atmosphere and optimism
    4. Carlisle 0-1 CAFC - Promoted and atmosphere
    5. CAFC 1-5 Rotherham - my first game. Started the love affair with Charlton and the Valley
  • Options
    1) Jacko literally diving into the covered end after his last minute winner against QPhaha
    2) Leaburn scoring the second goal in the 2-0 win at the valley against the scum (They really hated Carlo, which made it all the sweeter)
    3) Rufus equaliser to make it 3-3 at Wembley in 1998
    4) Dennis in the last minute against the nigels
    5) The final whistle in the Brighton 7 Charlton 0 game ;)

• Options
    Games that I were actually present at, in no particular order (apart from the first 3)

2019 play off final
    1998 play off final
    1987 play off final
    1992 first game back
    2000 4-0 opening day win v Man city
    1988  Battle of the bridge 
    Claus Jensen  winner v  Brad Friedel
    3-3 draw at home v Man U

And slightly less.....

Ending Huddersfield's  run
    Ending Luton's run
    Beating Mourinho's Chelsea in the cup at the bridge 
  • Options
    edited June 2019

moment, n. ˈməʊm(ə)nt A very short period or extent of time, esp. one too brief for its duration to be significant; a point in time, an instant.

Top ten moments I have personally witnessed (perhaps):

10. Lisbie getting his third against the scousers (2003)
    9. Putting four past West Ham (2007)
    8. Jensen volleying past Friedel to nullify the keeper's goal (2004).
    7. The 'Liar' banner over Meire's head (2016)
    6. Chris Powell chaired around the pitch after becoming Charlton's oldest goalscorer (2008) 
    5. Yann's wonder strike on Smurf day (2012)
    4. Jon Fortune sending the Palace down (2005)
    3. Standing at Brunton Park after the final whistle, waiting for confirmation that Colchester had held Wednesday to a draw (2012)
    2. Bauer putting it past McLaughlin (2019)
    1. Ilic saving from Gray (1998)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    In no particular order

I'll start with attending the 2000 championship winning party thrown for the club up the west end. Without a doubt my best non footballing moment supporting Charlton. Great memories. 

1. 2019 play off
    2. 1988 play off
    3. 1975 Preston promotion, my first taste of any kind of success as an Addick
    4. 1-0 win at Old Trafford 1986 ?
    5. The play off 1-0 home win v Ipswich, what a night
    6. 5-0 tonking of the saints, first home prem game.
    7. The 3-4 Villa away match, that game had everything
    8. The Coventry away FA cup come back, just loved that game and day.
    9. Black Sabbath. Didn't go but had a few Stockport Addicks round my house watching on Sky
    10. 4-2 home prem win against money bags Chelski, one of the best 90 minutes I've seen us play

And I'll finish with my biggest regret, not attending the back to the Valley game. Truly gutted. 
  • Options

(4) 1998 Play-Off Final

Rather than seasons or games themselves, the actual player moments for me are:

Dean Kiely's saves against Birmingham City
    Claus Jensen's goal against Arsenal
    John Robinson's goal against Man Utd in the 3-3 draw
    Sasa Ilic save in the '98 Play-Off Final
    Patrick Bauer's goal in the '19 Play-Off Final
    Bradley Wright-Phillips' goal when we won promotion @ Carlisle
    Kyle Reid's goal against Southend when we won 2-1 on a Friday night
    Schmeichel's sending off in the FA Cup (one of my all time memories of the competition will be him walking off the pitch)
    Doing the same for me and just picking out specific moments

1) Ilic playoff save
    2) Bauer playoff goal
    3) Dillon playoff save

After that in rough chronological order
    Shirtliff playoff goals 87 - I wasn't there but listening to the match on the radio turned me into a proper Charlton fan
    Paul Miller equaliser 88 vs Chelsea
    David Whyte goal vs Leicester 92 at Upton Park
    Kim Grant coming onto the field to warm up Dec 5th 92
    Schmeichel sending off
    Shaun Newton playoff semi final goal
    EVERY goal in Wembley 98
    The Giggs shot from the half way line which hit the bar
    Robinson equaliser against Man U
    Bartlett Goal of the Season
    Powell goal in his farewell match
    Jacko goal vs QPR
    Harriott goal vs Watford which ensured survival under Riga
    Solly equaliser at Luton

• Options
    A few moments I remember in terms of how hard I celebrated, no particular order:

Bauer's goal, 19 final
    Rufus goal, mendonca 3rd, penalty save.
    El karkouri free kick against Blackburn year we got relegated
    Penalty shootout v donny
    Lisbie's hattrick goal
  • Options
    1987 St Andrews
    2005 Jon Fortune relegating 'them'
    2004 Dennis in the last minute
    2019 Bauer goal
    1998 Wembley, the whole day
  • Options
    1 Being lucky enough to have been born into a Charlton family. 
    2.Extending it by making so many great friends in this esoteric pilgrimage. 
    3.My Niece and Nephew walking into school in Charlton shirts a few weeks ago being asked what they did at the weekend. 
    4.Being the thing that has kept me (relatively) sane during some bad times.
    5.Too many to mention. But I'll try to condense..

6.First game ever, promoted, last time we  clinched at The Valley - then 3 Carlisle games.
    7.Simonsen debut on 13th birthday. (Mine that is). 
    8.Both Chelsea and Arsenal, majestic. All of those wins in the Premier league, 5/12/04 significant too.
    9. Speaking of which, getting away from that wretched place and all that went with it - amazing, defy another Club to do it. 
    10.Getting out of St Andrews alive...

Couple of trips to Wembley not bad either 😉

• Options
    10. CAFC 5-0 Southampton 1998, my first season ticket game
    9. Brad Friedel last minute equaliser at The Valley (always wanted to see a goalie score) followed by Jensen’s injury time winner
    8. Lge 1 Play Off Winners 2019
    7. Lge 1 champions/record breaking Powell Season
    6. CAFC 0-1 Leeds FACup 1992, first game at The Valley (might have been 1-2)
    5. CAFC 1-0 Luton 1987, first ever game, Garth Crooks winner
    4. CAFC 3-0 Derby 1988, staying up with a whole 3-games left
    3. CAFC 3-2 Liverpool, the Lisbie game
    2. 1st Div Champions 2000
    1. Wembley ‘98

Sure I’ve missed something out but not bad for top of my head...
  • Options
    A couple of memories from the ‘50s.  First game of the season was against a Sunderland side which had forked out a small fortune (for those days) on players like Len Shackleton - and we won 5-3.

Another was the occasion, well into the season with Charlton the only side in the four divisions with an unbeaten home record. We played Manchester City this day and with the score at 1-1 City were awarded a penalty - might have been taken by Don Revie, cannt really remember -  and Sam Bartram hardly moved as the ball rocketed into the bottom left hand corner of the net.  1-2 was how it ended and I remember walking out the ground with a decided lump in my throat.

On the upside though, many happy memories among the disappointments. Leary, Fenton, Ufton, Bartram of course, Hurst, Firmani et al.  Loved them all.
  • Options
    I like to be a bit different. So many high and low moments over the years and I'm sure that I could change one or two, but I have come up with 5 that come to mind initially.  No particular order.

Hales and Flanagan sending off against Maidstone. That was a shocker.

It was a toss up between Man Utd away in the fac5 round but go with Wolves away fac5 1975? My first huge away following. Bloody Richard's went and spoilt the day of course.

Staying out all night at the town hall to watch the Valley Party votes counted.

Our return to The Valley.

The 98 play off final.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    1, Matt Tees, Ray Traceys goals against Cloughies  Derby   1969
    2, Danny Muphys free kick against Spurs, never seen the Jimmy Seed stand empty so quick.
    3, Claus Jensen goal against Blackburn after Freidel had scored.
    4, Keith Peacock against a lad called Newton (an England full back, who went to the 70 world cup) Keith ran him ragged.
    5, Pats goal at the play off (Cried my eyes out at full time)
    6, Sacha  save (Cried my eyes out at full time)
    7, Watching Charlton play Plymouth Argyle 1966, aged 7 since then there has never been any other club (and yes i did bunk in!)
  • Options
    In no particular order and, after 56 years, some might change on another day but, in line with the thread title, all represent MY Charlton history.

Wembley 1998 with my 3 daughters, brother and his wife

Wembley 2019 with 2 of my daughters, my wife and one of my daughter's partner

Charlton v Southend 1994. 4-3 to Charlton on the day the new East Stand opened and the first time my two oldest daughters came to The Valley with me.

Charlton v Chelsea c 1975 or 1976. An unspectacular 1-1 draw but personally significant as it was the day I introduced Charlton to my younger brother.

Charlton v Ipswich c 1964. My grandmother took me and Charlton won 4-0. Eddie Firmani scored 3 I think that day and Len Glover set up most of them.

Charlton winning an FA Cup tie against Yeovil 3-2. c 2005.  @Len\'s_little_girl  chose that score and we won at 28-1. I still remember how delighted she was!

Charlton 6 Southampton 2 under the lights 1976. I thought we were going up for sure after that magnificent performance. Then we sold Hales.

Charlton 4 Brighton 3 c 1978 a real thriller under the lights which epitomised that era of thrilling victories under The Valley lights.

Reading 0 Charlton 1 October 2014. @Len\'s_little_girl took me into the corporate bit and the Charlton lot comfortably outnumbered the Reading lot in our box.

Chelsea 2 Charlton 2 c 1982. I went with some mates who supported Chelsea. Chelsea absolutely dominated it but two moments of class from Paul Walsh and Killer meant we somehow escaped with a point.

As I say some will be different on another day.