Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aberdeen

Comments

• Overnight coach to see Aberdeen v Dundee United, whoever lost went into the relegation play-offs.
    Po faced man at ticket office said all tickets sold, they were not.
    I ended up at Forfar v Arbroath.
    I hate Aberdeen.

Angus derby mate nothing wrong with that....
    Granted, went through Brechin on way there.

I must go there before the hedge gets trimmed.
    Is that a euphemism for a Brazilian?
  • Stig said:
    Do you play golf....??  Royal Aberdeen,  Peterhead & Cruden Bay are all pretty good.
    I've played a couple of times, but it's not really my thing. Good idea though.  I'm more of a nature man, so the coast, the Cairngorms and a drive to Loch Ness look more more cup of tea.
    For nature try and fit in the Rothiemurchus forest near Aviemore.
  • Today's cricket result means I'll be looking for a place in Aberdeen to watch the final.  Any suggestions for pubs that'll show it and where the friendly locals will be cheering on their fellow Brits?   ;)
  • Travelled home from Manchester with a work mate who is Scottish — I informed him we were 112/0 replying to the Aussies 234  in cricket World Cup - he looked at me - and honestly said he had no idea what that meant - and that he had never seen a cricket pitch in Scotland !!!!!!

good luck finding a pub showing it 😄
  • Stig said:
    Today's cricket result means I'll be looking for a place in Aberdeen to watch the final.  Any suggestions for pubs that'll show it and where the friendly locals will be cheering on their fellow Brits?   ;)
    The pub, called the Village Pub, in the Village Hotel in Aberdeen should be showing it - phone number 01224 470025 

Or you could go to St Andrews GC 01334 473 426 
  • If all else fails, it might be worth booking a room in an hotel that has Sky Sports available.
    Let us know how you got on anyway.
  • 13C in Aberdeen today. London 26C.
    That cos summer time! 😎😎
  • If all else fails, it might be worth booking a room in an hotel that has Sky Sports available.
    Let us know how you got on anyway.
    The good news is that the Final is being broadcast, free to air on C4/More4, so that opens up more chances to see it, even if there is no Sky Sports on offer. 
  • T_C_E said:
    13C in Aberdeen today. London 26C.
    That cos summer time! 😎😎
    Just back from a holiday in the Highlands - amazing countryside but weather didn't top 18C. Coastline is breathtaking and the walks in the Cairngorms are incredible.

A joy to drive up there as the roads are deserted and by far the most beautiful place in the UK. The weather has been far better on my previous trips.

There's a road trip round the Highlands called the North Coast 500 - stunning scenery and an incredible drive. 
  • T_C_E said:
    That cos summer time! 😎😎
    Just back from a holiday in the Highlands - amazing countryside but weather didn't top 18C. Coastline is breathtaking and the walks in the Cairngorms are incredible.

A joy to drive up there as the roads are deserted and by far the most beautiful place in the UK. The weather has been far better on my previous trips.

There's a road trip round the Highlands called the North Coast 500 - stunning scenery and an incredible drive. 
    I’d prefer to visit the west coast, although I’ve never seen either just Glasgow. I’ve have friends on that side.......Last week she had the heating on and was moaning how cold it was!

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    That cos summer time! 😎😎

I’d prefer to visit the west coast, although I’ve never seen either just Glasgow. I’ve have friends on that side.......Last week she had the heating on and was moaning how cold it was!

Last time I went to Scotland it was 28C - last week was not good temperature wise. 
    On a positive note the air quality up there is noticeably better than London and the days are longer.

I've visited most of Scotland with the exception of Glasgow and the islands.

• I note Aberdeen won an award in 2015.

The Carbuncle Awards 2015

Aberdeen has beaten off stiff competition from the likes of Cumbernauld, East Kilbride and Leven to win the award nobody wants, the Plook-on-the-Plinth trophy for Scotland’s most dismal place, handed out as part of Urban Realm's annual Carbuncle Awards.

• I note Aberdeen won an award in 2015.

The Carbuncle Awards 2015

Aberdeen has beaten off stiff competition from the likes of Cumbernauld, East Kilbride and Leven to win the award nobody wants, the Plook-on-the-Plinth trophy for Scotland’s most dismal place, handed out as part of Urban Realm's annual Carbuncle Awards.

Doesn't look much different from 1982 when I moved up there for 4 years!
  • Stig said:
    Today's cricket result means I'll be looking for a place in Aberdeen to watch the final.  Any suggestions for pubs that'll show it and where the friendly locals will be cheering on their fellow Brits?   ;)
    Typical! I got to the pub ( quiet one on the edge of town) ordered lunch and a beer and asked if I could watch the cricket. "Certainly sir, what channel is it on"? I told them it was ch4, and was very happy when almost immediately a guy stepped out from behind the bar brandishing a remote control and changed channels as requested. I saw one dot ball, then drinks came out (there, not here), the ads came on and programming switched to Grand Prix warm up. No more cricket 'til gone 4pm.
  • Stig said:
    Stig said:
    Typical! I got to the pub ( quiet one on the edge of town) ordered lunch and a beer and asked if I could watch the cricket. "Certainly sir, what channel is it on"? I told them it was ch4, and was very happy when almost immediately a guy stepped out from behind the bar brandishing a remote control and changed channels as requested. I saw one dot ball, then drinks came out (there, not here), the ads came on and programming switched to Grand Prix warm up. No more cricket 'til gone 4pm.
    Do they have More 4 up there in the Arctic Circle?
  • Good thinking, but I think anything's going to be short lived anyway. Weirdly Wimbledon is really popular and I. Think that'll be on soon.
  • Don’t really understand why you went to a pub to watch it?
    You were always going to be at the whim of locals who will always get the ‘shout’ over what’s on......especially if you’re the only customer who wants to watch it.
    Sorry Stig but that’s pretty poor planning on your part mate!
  • edited July 2019
    Just looked on Google and there is an Aberdeen Cricket Club which has their own ground and pavilion (clubhouse maybe?)......I would have contacted them and asked if they have a TV and if they’ll be showing it.........if not ask them where their members will be gathering as I bet they’ll be watching it.
  • Jocks hate cricket as a rule. They used to whinge like Billy do when I lived there when they showed test matches during the day on the BBC, despite they couldn't see it anyway as they were working. 
  • Just looked on Google and there is an Aberdeen Cricket Club which has their own ground and pavilion/clubhouse maybe......I would have contacted them and asked if they have a TV and if they’ll be showing it.........if not ask them where their members will be gathering as I bet they’ll be watching it.
    Surely the cricket season is over in Scotland by now? 
  • Sponsored links:

• The Grill bar on Union Street. A legendary male bastion that only got female toilets in recent years!
    The most smazing collections of malt whisky I've ever seen. (Or sampled)
  • Soundas, you are absolutely right about poor planning, but things couldn't have worked out better. I ended up in a bar in Old Aberdeen with locals buying me whiskys. The cricket was in More4+1 for some odd reason but once I'd reached the point where I didn't know the score it was fine to watch. I genuinely thought England had lost because my youngest who is an avid cricket fan didn't message me. He said he didn't because he knew I was recording it and thought I'd want to watch it later!!!! Fantastic day!
  • Stig said:
    Soundas, you are absolutely right about poor planning, but things couldn't have worked out better. I ended up in a bar in Old Aberdeen with locals buying me whiskys. The cricket was in More4+1 for some odd reason but once I'd reached the point where I didn't know the score it was fine to watch. I genuinely thought England had lost because my youngest who is an avid cricket fan didn't message me. He said he didn't because he knew I was recording it and thought I'd want to watch it later!!!! Fantastic day!
    Terrific outcome for you...........great stuff!
  • Jocks are the most genuine, friendly and generous people in the uk
  • Glad to hear you enjoyed it Stig and found out for yourself.
  • “Wynd” is a pretty common street name in Scotland. 
  • What does it mean?
  • se9addick said:
    “Wynd” is a pretty common street name in Scotland. 
    Fart.