Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aberdeen

Comments

• Old Aberdeen Walking Tour
  • The Don's at home to Inverness Cally on 6th July and RoPS of Finland in the UEFA qualifying round on 11th July.
  • Fish n chips from Herdy's Dolphin.
  • A much under-estimated city B.
  • If you like Indian food, Shri Bheema's or Nawaabs are both told notch.
  • The best thing about Aberdeen are the people. 
  • The Grill bar on Union Street. A legendary male bastion that only got female toilets in recent years!
    Bloody Hell.  They say the mere mention of places takes you back!

The Grill bar!
  • PWR...Fantastic castles, best one is Dunnottar castle just south of Stonehaven...its on the coast and has a fantastic walk to it. If you like football grounds Brechin, Montrose and Arbroath are worth having a look if you are driving and passing through those towns.

Failing that, there are several castles to the west of Aberdeen worthy of a visit and they are not very expensive at all.

Go in August instead and pop in and see the mighty Cowdenbeath play.

Only went to Aberdeen once when I lived up there, was a very rich oil town then. I was driving up the main street when I stopped at some lights. A Ford Sierria Ghia (anyone remember those) pulled up alongside me and what drew my attention to it was all the writing down the side of it. The car was sponsored by Laidlaw and in it was one Alex Mcleish.

He gave a look and a wave before we moved off, my Mrs asked who the bloody hell was that....
  • Sponsored links:

• More recently, of course, he did a bit if due diligence on us for an interested party but concluded that "they wanted too much money for the club."
  • Thanks very much to everyone for their suggestions, especially Cardinal Sin, who's really pushed the boat out. I think it's gonna be great - but then I have regular work trips to Preston to I know how to enjoy life!
  • You will have a great time Stig.
  • Haven’t been since the 90’s but all I’d suggest is a nose peg....
  • Say hi to Patrick next time you are in Preston

• Have you ever been to Aberdeen @Cardinal Sin ?
    He's never been out of Greenwich
  • Aberdeen, the "Granite City".

But when I was there, all the buildings looked like they'd been built of breeze blocks.

• I remember working in Aberdeen during the summer of 1996.

Euro 96 was on - and so several of us went off to the pub to watch England v Germany.
    No sausage eaters there but the place was packed with locals.

Leading with an early goal from Shearer, the boos in the pub were deafening.
    The cheering rose to a crescendo when Kuntz equalised for Germany.

But nothing compared to the penalty shootout when England were eliminated.
    Southgate's was saved ..... the German converted his and the place erupted, overjoyed.

Apart from one nasty bastard, the rest of the Jocks gave us plenty of banter and good natured ribbing. They even bought us drinks and insisted we stayed on after the match. But hell, did they take the piss lol

• Apparently Marischal College was Hitlers 2nd favourite building and would’ve been his British HQ... more than enough reason to hate Aberdeen and I lived there for 7 years.

You’ll have the best laugh though 
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't know if it's still open but had the best fish and chips at Hass on Holburn Street

Lovely beach there too in the summer.
  • Was having Sunday lunch in Aberdeen twenty years ago with friends when Alex McLeish walked in with his wife. One of my mates shouts "Alex, over here." McLeish came over and shook hands with all of us and stood talking for ten minutes before his wire dragged him off to his table. After his meal he came back for another fifteen minutes. Smashing bloke.
    Perhaps it was Alex McLeash...
  • Do you play golf....??  Royal Aberdeen,  Peterhead & Cruden Bay are all pretty good.
  • Do you play golf....??  Royal Aberdeen,  Peterhead & Cruden Bay are all pretty good.
    Murcar too is excellent. 
  • Overnight coach to see Aberdeen v Dundee United, whoever lost went into the relegation play-offs.
    Po faced man at ticket office said all tickets sold, they were not.
    I ended up at Forfar v Arbroath.
    I hate Aberdeen.
    I've played a couple of times, but it's not really my thing. Good idea though.  I'm more of a nature man, so the coast, the Cairngorms and a drive to Loch Ness look more more cup of tea.
  • The best restaurant is a fish place in a former lighthouse . Think it is called Silver Darlings apparently after herring  
  • ashley said:
    The best restaurant is a fish place in a former lighthouse . Think it is called Silver Darlings apparently after herring  
    Shouldn't this post be on the takeover thread?
  • Overnight coach to see Aberdeen v Dundee United, whoever lost went into the relegation play-offs.
    I hate Aberdeen.

Angus derby mate nothing wrong with that....
    I hate Aberdeen.

Angus derby mate nothing wrong with that....
    Granted, went through Brechin on way there.

I must go there before the hedge gets trimmed.