Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury 2019

Comments

• Options
    All the music to choose from at Glastonbury and today on Radio 2 they’ve played that Lewis ******g Capaldi song twice.

Like the recorded track never gets any airtime does it! Utter Bollocks.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    rina said:
    weirdest encore ever? Let's get Jimmy Carr to sweep the stage for a couple of minutes then get the Pet Shop Boys on. brilliant                                                                                   

Well they needed to do something so we hadn't gone back 10 years in time.
    Finishing with Marr was a masterstroke. Brilliant. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    I just wish they wouldn't keep on about Stormzy like some kind of narrative they want to fit, he's up there because he deserves to be not because of the colour of his skin. I wasn't keen on Jay-Z headlining and even less so Kanye as I didn't think they got it, Stormzy however definitely gets it. 

I see Gerry Cinnamon is playing the John Peel stage at 2pm today.Someone fucked up there putting him on in a tent early afternoon, it'll be ridiculously packed for that.
    What is it that Stormzy "gets"?  @buckshee
    Genuine question.
    I'm speaking as a fogey with no appreciation of his genre and I am genuinely interested to know what he brings to the table of contemporary British music.

I was talking about he gets Glastonbury itself, he understands everything about what it means to play there and what it means to the people there and that it means something to him as an event in itself. I’m not sure either Jay-Z or Kanye really understood that.
  • Options
    Sharon Van Etten set was really good.
  • Options
    @carter has nailed it 

if I’d paid the best part of £250 and some prick in front of me was on someone’s shoulders or had a stupid flag...
  • Options
    My opinion on last night - Janet Jackson pure crap! - Liam Gallagher average at best! - The Killers nailed it and I thought the Pet Shop Boys played a good cameo part, excellently followed with Johnny Marr to finish the entire set....get in!!!
    Now bring on Kylie and finish, I hope, with a great set from The Cure.
  • Options
    I would have liked to have seen The Proclaimers, Slaves and Tame Impala. How come there is never any room for one Rockabilly band in that extensive line up? It's not like they don't put unusual or quirky acts on at all. 
  • Options
    I would have liked to have seen The Proclaimers, Slaves and Tame Impala. How come there is never any room for one Rockabilly band in that extensive line up? It's not like they don't put unusual or quirky acts on at all. 
    Tame Impala were shown for an hour from memory, possibly BBC4 if not BBC2.
    I don't know if you get i player in Portugal.
  • Options
    Tame Impala set is on BBC IPlayer catch up, under Day 1. 

Watched it yesterday and enjoyed it. Never heard of them before 
  • Options
    I'm just watching Liam now.
    Personally, I think Liam & Brandon Flowers are the best front men in the world of rock (not counting rap, grime etc).

Liam not at his best, definitely nasally, but boy as he got a presence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Grrr. First time in a while that I'm home for Glasto, only to find that BBC4 signal is too weak (odd, as the skies are crystal clear, at least at this wend) and the BBC are currently winning the battle with my VPN. So, reliant on BBC2, and missed out on seeing the Charlatans and Johnny Marr. They replayed some Liam Gallagher, and I must say I agreed with the Tweet that said he sounded like a bloke doing an appalling cover of Liam Gallagher. 

But the Killers..they set their stall out and hell they delivered. Brandon Flowers has got some neck, but in a good way. Their music always sounds to me that it's almost too big for my speakers. Fabulous.

i'm not a huge fan of the Cure, but the wife is, so hope they are on BBC2. Do we think Robert E.Smith is as excited as we are? :-)

• Options
    se9addick said:
    buckshee said:
    I just wish they wouldn't keep on about Stormzy like some kind of narrative they want to fit, he's up there because he deserves to be not because of the colour of his skin. I wasn't keen on Jay-Z headlining and even less so Kanye as I didn't think they got it, Stormzy however definitely gets it. 

I see Gerry Cinnamon is playing the John Peel stage at 2pm today.Someone fucked up there putting him on in a tent early afternoon, it'll be ridiculously packed for that.
    What is it that Stormzy "gets"?  @buckshee
    Genuine question.
    I'm speaking as a fogey with no appreciation of his genre and I am genuinely interested to know what he brings to the table of contemporary British music.

I guess he makes music that is not only hugely popular but also has a message. He talks about politics, life experiences and where he comes from (he references South London very often). Compare that to your Ed Sheeran or Adele’s who also sell records by the truck load but have no message to go with their music and it’s refreshing. 
    Sums it up very well. Being relatable to those outside the “Brit School” kids is something he brings. Also what he sings/raps about is actually real. Had a housemate years ago who’s from Sheeran’s hometown and went to school with him, said that all his lyrics are fables and none of those things ever actually happened. Stormzy’s lyrics are from the heart. 
    Not that bothered about Sheeran, but to be fair you don't have to sing about personal experiences to make great songs and music though. Many of the greatest writers are observers or are able to write about the human condition in general
    Completely agree. But Sheeran has spoke about his lyrics being personal experiences, when in fact some them are not. You look back to when Arctic Monkeys came on the scene and Alex Turner was very open as to how his lyrics were observations of his local area. 
    Not to mention Alex Turner is the sole writer for a lot of the Arctic's tracks, where as Stormzy has 3 or 4 co-writes for a lot of his. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Grrr. First time in a while that I'm home for Glasto, only to find that BBC4 signal is too weak (odd, as the skies are crystal clear, at least at this wend) and the BBC are currently winning the battle with my VPN. So, reliant on BBC2, and missed out on seeing the Charlatans and Johnny Marr. They replayed some Liam Gallagher, and I must say I agreed with the Tweet that said he sounded like a bloke doing an appalling cover of Liam Gallagher. 

But the Killers..they set their stall out and hell they delivered. Brandon Flowers has got some neck, but in a good way. Their music always sounds to me that it's almost too big for my speakers. Fabulous.

i'm not a huge fan of the Cure, but the wife is, so hope they are on BBC2. Do we think Robert E.Smith is as excited as we are? :-)

It's Robert Smith. I think you're getting confused with Mark E Smith RIP.
    The Cure are on BBC2 9pm tonight (programme).
    They are usually superb live, sound no different from 30/40 years ago.

PS Jo Whiley is hot.
  • Options
    Killers were OK, nothing out of the ordinary.

I see so many comments that acts 'smashed it' but I rarely see this, I can only think of a few bands in recent years that did, that was The Who 3 or 4 years ago and Radiohead 2 years ago
  • Options
    I watched late last night as I always do. 

Sleaford Mods. 

What the feck?

The world has gone. 
  • Options

Sleaford Mods. 

What the feck?

The world has gone. 
    Seeing them Nov 15th Hammersmith Apollo.
    It's all about the lyrics in austerity Britain.
  • Options

I see so many comments that acts 'smashed it' but I rarely see this, I can only think of a few bands in recent years that did, that was The Who 3 or 4 years ago and Radiohead 2 years ago
    Music is all about personal taste.  I personally can't stand Radiohead . I find them dull as dishwater. I think the Foo Fighters set from 2 years ago Is 1 of the best live performances I've ever seen. 

See,  it's down to personal preference. 

You're right, I'm not dissin The Killers, they're just not my cup of tea, I think I'm put off by bands that are pushed by a big label and are a bit overplayed on the radio.  Mr brightside is a good song but after hearing 1 million times became rather annoying

• Options
    edited June 2019

Sleaford Mods. 

What the feck?

The world has gone. 
    :-O

I’ll just read them on google thanks. 
    Awful noise. 
    I gotta agree re SM. Insufferable racket. 

I watched a bit of some woman on the park stage reading some kind of political poetry. I shall not be adding her to any Spotify playlist. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sleaford Mods. 

What the feck?

The world has gone. 
    :-O

I’ll just read them on google thanks. 
    Awful noise. 
    I gotta agree re SM. Insufferable racket. 

I watched a bit bit of some woman on the park stage reading some kind of political poetry. I shall not be adding her to any Spotify playlist. 
    Yep. 
    I have been completely underwhelmed by all I’ve seen this year. 
    Hoping Kylie & the Cure can give me some cheer. 
  • Options

Pulp 1996(?) when they stood in last minute for Suede. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Pulp 1996(?) when they stood in last minute for Suede. 
    I think you mean 1995 when they stood in for the Stone Roses, there wasn't a festival in 96.
  • Options
    Indeed. 

My memory might be a bit impaired in the mid 90’s ... 
  • Options
    Are you coming out with Boris and Gove MrOneLung? What was your poison?
  • Options
    Not a cannabis lassie that’s for sure. 
  • Options
    Kylie smashing it. Same age as me total teenage crush.
  • Options
    Looks like we've got a few Cure fans on here....

I was a huge fan of The Cure back when I was in the university. Bloodflowers was the first Cure album I listened to and I loved it so much I still remember when and where I heard the title song for the first time. They sounded great live and I watched the Trilogy DVD countless times. (Absolutely loved  Simon Gallup!) I bought a few second-hand deluxe editions of their early albums off Taobao (China's ebay) which still are the most expensive CDs that I've ever bought... Their music (and also Depeche Mode's) helped me get through my boring university life.

They are one of the bands that I truly want to see live but unfortunately I don't think they will ever come to China.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Kylie smashing it. Same age as me total teenage crush.
    LOL...Gave her 5 mins and now I'm back listening to the cricket.