Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Glastonbury 2019

Comments

• Caught up with the Killers set last night. Great to watch and adding Pet Shop Boys and Johnny Marr was inspired. 

However, did not reach the passion and intensity of their previous gig in the John Peel tent, which even they admit was one of their best gigs ever. 
  • Gave up with the Killers after Brandon and other band members admitted that when writing songs Brandon cynically chucked together s whole load of words that he thought would sell rather than having any meaning whatsoever. I mean you may not be able to work out all the morning intended in a song but normally there is at least some. 
  • Surely the whole Britpop scene of the mid 90s was the ultimate scene of bands really emphasising their Britishness anyway, e.g. Damon Albarn's mockney vocals on Parklife. In the US he's far more known for later stuff like Song 2 or Gorillaz.
  • It was good to see The Cure at Glastonbury.
    They are one of those bands like Def Leppard and Depeche Mode that achieved more in the USA than in the UK. 

Are there any USA bands that achieved more in the UK than the US. 
    Scissor Sisters? 
  • Tommy Steel, Max Bygraves, Dick Van Dyke, Dave Essex all sing with an accent 🤗
  • It was good to see The Cure at Glastonbury.
    They are one of those bands like Def Leppard and Depeche Mode that achieved more in the USA than in the UK. 

Scissor Sisters? 
    Faith No More
  • Stefco said:
    It was good to see The Cure at Glastonbury.

Scissor Sisters? 
    Faith No More
    Hendrix?
  • I reckon Blondie. 
  • The cockney vocals on Parkside were actor Phil Davies.
  • Sponsored links:

• He was excellent in a drama called North Square which didn't get a 2nd series
  • 🙄

I guess you’re all experts in British hip hop pre the streets. 

I guess you were all also happy with spice girls and pop music being dominated by people singing with an American accent. 
    You're making things up again aren't you ?
    No idea why you said that, because no one else did.
    Well I never said no one ever sang with their accents before the streets, I’m saying the pop scene at the time wasn’t dominated by British sounding artists like it was after the streets. 

I also said “I guess” which usually means that I’m guessing your opinion. But I guess we’ve already established reading literacy isn’t your strong suit.
    Even with my poor reading literacy, I just saw your cheeky little insult added 23 mins later. Well played.
    🙄
    inspired by the Streets
    Very good

Phil Daniels from Quadrophenia fame !

Phil Daniels from Quadrophenia fame !
    Paul Daniels.....Not alot !
  • edited July 2019
    The cockney vocals on Parkside were actor Phil Davies.
    It's Parklife if you're talking about Blur and it was Phil Daniels.
    NB Phil Davies is Phil Davis, but apart from that you're right.
  • In the words of Shaun Ryder when asked if he was bothered about the Happy Mondays making it in the USA 

"Mike and Bernie Winters never made it in America"
  • I'd totally forgotten about this doc, this was back when the festival really was something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0sOAiKouH8
  • Environmentally damaging levels of drugs have been found in the river running through the Glastonbury Festival site.

Scientists have warned there are "dangerous" levels of MDMA and cocaine in the Whitelake River in Somerset.

They suspect public urination has caused the increase and urged festival goers to use the toilets provided.

Researchers fear it could derail the conservation efforts of rare European eels in the area.

Measurements both upstream and downstream of the site were taken before, during and after the festival in 2019.

The study found MDMA concentrations quadrupled the week after the festival, suggesting long-term release from the site.

• Must remember to take my swimming shorts next time.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    Must remember to take my swimming shorts next time.
    Just come find me in bloc 9.
  • Polluting the environment is okay if you do it in a hip way, maaaan ✌
  • Gribbo said:
    Polluting the environment is okay if you do it in a hip way, maaaan ✌
    If you piss MDMA into loft insulation, would that make it work better?
  • I imagine MDMA would aid their reproductive efforts. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Polluting the environment is okay if you do it in a hip way, maaaan ✌
    If you piss MDMA into loft insulation, would that make it work better?
    Shit it into it would be better. More of a solid mass
  • It was only last night that I was being lectured at the dinner table by my son on the damage my generation had done to the environment. How opportune that this revelation regarding the pollution of the river running through Glastonbury should be forthcoming today. All I had last night in my defence were the "gifts" that the likes of his generation had recently left at the Reading Festival:

• It was only last night that I was being lectured at the dinner table by my son on the damage my generation had done to the environment. How opportune that this revelation regarding the pollution of the river running through Glastonbury should be forthcoming today. All I had last night in my defence were the "gifts" that the likes of his generation had recently left at the Reading Festival:

All picked up and recycled the day after the event by volunteers. 

Surprised there's enough green left to host festivals after the private housing developments springing up around the country for the last 20 years. Not a council house in sight. 

Surprised there's enough green left to host festivals after the private housing developments springing up around the country for the last 20 years. Not a council house in sight. 
    So as long as someone else clears up your shit thats OK?

And according to this BBC report, your summary of "all picked up and recycled te day after" isnt entirely accurate...A two week process and only a small amount of what was left behind could be reused...

Camping equipment discarded by people at a music festival is set to be distributed to refugees in France.

Herts For Refugees has collected 2,300 tents and 500 sleeping bags from Little John's Farm, the site used to host the Reading Festival last weekend.

The charity said the items would be "life-saving" for refugees living at French ports in Dunkirk and Calais.

Photos and videos of abandoned tents at the site had prompted criticism of some festival-goers on social media.

media caption,A volunteer shot footage of the mess left behind at Reading Festival

A two-week clear-up operation began on Monday, with festival organisers allowing a number of charities to salvage equipment and food left behind.

Angus Clark, CEO of Herts For Refugees, said the tents were needed in northern France after the so-called "Jungle" camp for refugees was cleared in 2016.

"In winter time it can be quite desperate, so the things we salvage from festivals like Reading can actually be life-saving," he said.

He added, however, that although he welcomed the opportunity to give the tents to those in need, it would have been more sustainable for festival-goers to take their equipment home.

"The bigger picture environmentally has to be considered... we can only take such a small amount compared to what's left behind," he said.

Volunteers collecting sleeping bags
    image caption,Herts For Refugees collected 2,300 abandoned tents to send to France

On its website, Reading Festival urged revellers to take their belongings home and warned that tents usually ended up in landfill "because it is impossible to recycle or reuse them".

Lily Robbins, the festival's sustainability manager, told BBC Breakfast on Monday that it was "heartbreaking" to see so many tents left.

Many social media users agreed, with some suggesting potential solutions for future years.

On Facebook, one woman said: "They need to charge £50 to £100 per tent, redeemable when the tent is brought off site."

Another said the festival's licence should be withheld until organisers could come up with "concrete plans on how to tackle this."

And according to this BBC report, your summary of "all picked up and recycled te day after" isnt entirely accurate...A two week process and only a small amount of what was left behind could be reused...

Camping equipment discarded by people at a music festival is set to be distributed to refugees in France.

Herts For Refugees has collected 2,300 tents and 500 sleeping bags from Little John's Farm, the site used to host the Reading Festival last weekend.

The charity said the items would be "life-saving" for refugees living at French ports in Dunkirk and Calais.

Photos and videos of abandoned tents at the site had prompted criticism of some festival-goers on social media.

media caption,A volunteer shot footage of the mess left behind at Reading Festival

A two-week clear-up operation began on Monday, with festival organisers allowing a number of charities to salvage equipment and food left behind.

Angus Clark, CEO of Herts For Refugees, said the tents were needed in northern France after the so-called "Jungle" camp for refugees was cleared in 2016.

"In winter time it can be quite desperate, so the things we salvage from festivals like Reading can actually be life-saving," he said.

He added, however, that although he welcomed the opportunity to give the tents to those in need, it would have been more sustainable for festival-goers to take their equipment home.

"The bigger picture environmentally has to be considered... we can only take such a small amount compared to what's left behind," he said.

image caption,Herts For Refugees collected 2,300 abandoned tents to send to France

On its website, Reading Festival urged revellers to take their belongings home and warned that tents usually ended up in landfill "because it is impossible to recycle or reuse them".

Lily Robbins, the festival's sustainability manager, told BBC Breakfast on Monday that it was "heartbreaking" to see so many tents left.

Many social media users agreed, with some suggesting potential solutions for future years.

On Facebook, one woman said: "They need to charge £50 to £100 per tent, redeemable when the tent is brought off site."

Another said the festival's licence should be withheld until organisers could come up with "concrete plans on how to tackle this."

No just a far far smaller problem that the actual environmental problems in the world. 

But of course you'd rather just call the younger generation a hypocrite and wave your hand at the world's problems. 

Great, so we are keeping them dry & warm for the winter ready to jump in a dinghy and float across the channel when the weather warms up. We really are a soft touch, the French must be pissing themselves.