Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The false hope of Wembley

When we scored that goal I was elated not just because it meant we were promoted but because I thought it gave us a chance to "keep the band together".

Now it is in pieces. We still have Bow, JJ and Gallen. Plus  Dillon, Solly, and Naby. Then the crocks, Page and JFC. Seems that could be just about it.

Head in hands time.

Comments

• Options
    Taylor, Dijksteel, Pearce, Lapslie, Morgan, Fosu, Reeves, Pratley.

Chin up, Weegie!
  • Options

Chin up, Weegie!
    Reeves released. 
    Taylor, Dijksteel, Pearce, Pratley all linked with moves away.
    Fosu not really wanted.
    I'll give you George and Albie. A lot on their shoulders. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    When we scored that goal I was elated not just because it meant we were promoted but because I thought it gave us a chance to "keep the band together".

Now it is in pieces. We still have Bow, JJ and Gallen. Plus  Dillon, Solly, and Naby. Then the crocks, Page and JFC. Seems that could be just about it.

Head in hands time.
    Take some anti-depressants.
    We have Phillips, Solly, Page, Pearce, JFC, Taylor, Pratley, Morgan, Sarr, Lapslie, Dijksteel and Bonne.
    We just need 11 more.
  • Options
    Keep the faith Weegie, it’s going to be a tough season, but I refuse for us to be downtrodden.
  • Options

Chin up, Weegie!
    Reeves has gone. Fosu was offered a new contract purely so that we could command a fee for him, so he's going.

Feel the same as Weegie, although perhaps a bit less surprised. I saw it coming but it doesn't make it any less painful when it happens. Bauer, Williams and Aribo could all have easily been persuaded to stay, and whilst I understand budgetary constraints, surely the money we've chopped off the wage bill from letting Igor and Ajose go could have been put towards paying at least one of them what he wanted. There's the best part of £15m in transfer value if those three were under contract so it's not as if there isn't a potential return for paying the high wages.

Feel like we're doomed for relegation already. Having said that, I thought we'd be lucky to finish 15th last year, so hopefully Bowyer, JJ and Gallen can work some now miracles.
  • Options

Head in hands time.
    We have Phillips, Solly, Page, Pearce, JFC, Taylor, Pratley, Morgan, Solly, Sarr, Lapslie, Dijksteel and Bonne.
    We just need 11 more.
    Page you having a laugh.
    I thought he was meant to be out for 2 months 
  • Options

Head in hands time.
    We have Phillips, Solly, Page, Pearce, JFC, Taylor, Pratley, Morgan, Solly, Sarr, Lapslie, Dijksteel and Bonne.
    We just need 11 more.
    Solly can barely fill one spot these days let alone two! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Chin up, Weegie!
    Reeves has gone. Fosu was offered a new contract purely so that we could command a fee for him, so he's going.

Feel the same as Weegie, although perhaps a bit less surprised. I saw it coming but it doesn't make it any less painful when it happens. Bauer, Williams and Aribo could all have easily been persuaded to stay, and whilst I understand budgetary constraints, surely the money we've chopped off the wage bill from letting Igor and Ajose go could have been put towards paying at least one of them what he wanted. There's the best part of £15m in transfer value if those three were under contract so it's not as if there isn't a potential return for paying the high wages.

Feel like we're doomed for relegation already. Having said that, I thought we'd be lucky to finish 15th last year, so hopefully Bowyer, JJ and Gallen can work some now miracles.
    Forgot about Reeves.

Hard to see Bauer’s move to PNE as a step up for him. Can’t help but think that but for the antics of the Belgian madman we could have hung on to Bauer and Aribo.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Chin up, Weegie!

Forgot about Reeves.

Hard to see Bauer’s move to PNE as a step up for him. Can’t help but think that but for the antics of the Belgian madman we could have hung on to Bauer and Aribo.
    Exactly. Bowyer said they offered double what we could for Bauer. I can take Leeds/Fulham/Stoke/Cardiff being able to double our offer, but I feel like we're in real trouble if a mid-table side like Preston have a wage budget that much higher than ours.
  • Options

Head in hands time.
    Jesus wept...

Has no-one on this forum got ANY faith in Bowyer, Jackson, and Gallen????

Written off, and the squad hasn't even returned for pre-season training yet!!!!
    Bowyer is a good manager and Gallen has been great in terms of getting our recruitment back on track after the dark days of Thomas Driesen/Katrien. 

That being said, “faith”, especially the blind kind, wont keep us up. It would be foolish to ignore that we are losing players we would rather keep, have a severely depleted squad and will likely have one of the lowest (if not the lowest) budgets in the division. Bowyer is good, but he needs the tools to do his job and right now he’s losing them rather than acquiring them. 
  • Options
    Leave out the anti-depressants comments, thanks. My mental health is fine but it is not something to make light of for others.

It's the Taylor rumours that are really bothering me if truth be told. Decent strikers are hard to come by.
    Nothing more so far than a comment on Instagram that is possibly poorly worded isn't it?

If the media and particularly Richard Cawley start talking about Taylor leaving then I'll be worried.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Head in hands time.
    We just need 11 more.
    Solly can barely fill one spot these days let alone two! 
    Solly.
  • Options
    The whole time Bowyer is here then I feel completely comfortable. 
    I wouldn't go quite that far, but if he had left I would be in a state of total despair. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leave out the anti-depressants comments, thanks. My mental health is fine but it is not something to make light of for others.

It's the Taylor rumours that are really bothering me if truth be told. Decent strikers are hard to come by.
    Well why pretend we've only got 5 players when we have 12 ?
    I don't understand why anyone would do that ?
  • Options
    League 1 no offence isn’t no where near the competitiveness of the championship so yes do appreciate bows, jj and gallen but we have a tough task to stay in this league 
  • Options
    If Taylor goes we are well and truly fcuked
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Well why pretend we've only got 5 players when we have 12 ?
    I don't understand why anyone would do that ?
    Yeah, twelve should be plenty. 
    I don't, as I said we need another 11.
  • Options
    Our best players see other best players leave for better run clubs and more money. At the same time, the perpetual uncertainty over ownership rolls ever onwards. They see the tightening budget and know that they might soon be playing with "risk" signings and youngsters, in a team that is likely to struggle.

No wonder if someone like Lyle might be getting itchy feet.
  • Options
    Dr Kish reckons we are signing 4 or 5 this week.
  • Options
    That might be a bit of a disappointment to some. 
  • Options
    That might be a bit of a disappointment to some. 
    Depends who it is really doesn’t it?
  • Options
    It's just a re-hash of the Rich Cawley article in SLP. No new news.