Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

P.S.A

Comments

• Options
    All the best to you mate, I can appreciate how worried you are. Medical science is mind blowing these days and the success of procedures for things such as prostate cancer are really positive 
  • Options
    Keep strong and positive (easy for me to say )

please do keep us informed, the more men talk about issues like this the more likely they are to pick up any issues they may have. 

As above,medicine is fantastic these days 

• Options
    All the best with the treatment to come Derek. It's a long road ahead but as others have said treatment and management of this type of cancer is coming on in leaps and bounds.

Keep us as informed as you feel comfortable with.
  • Options
    Best wishes Derek.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    Back from Hospital,not good Doctor thinks it is prostate cancer and probably spread to the bones. I have a month of taken hormone tablets to try to arrest the spread.P.S.A is 1200 NOT GOOD. The
     highest is about 25,000.
    Keeping strong and positive is absolutely crucial if you want to keep this pestilent disease under any sort of control. You've got it, get used to it, don't let the cancer rule your life. Worrying and fretting will do you and your family no good whatsoever. I speak as a cancer 'survivor' with an ongoing cancer 'issue'
    The very best of luck and as has been said above, keep us informed. You KNOW that everyone on this site is on your side
  • Options
    All the best Derek, and stay positive !
  • Options
    You are all so kind with your good wishes,thank you. Living on my own makes things worse one tends to let the imagination run riot. I do not know how the Doctor came to the conclusion,
    if it was the P.S.A being so high 112, or if he could feel a growth on the prostate.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Derek1952 said:
    You are all so kind with your good wishes,thank you. Living on my own makes things worse one tends to let the imagination run riot. I do not know how the Doctor came to the conclusion,
    if it was the P.S.A being so high 112, or if he could feel a growth on the prostate.

ask for a letter of explanation .. the NHS is a superb service, BUT remember they work for you ..  you write 'the doctor thinks it's probably cancer' .. you need to know how and why he came to his conclusions. 
    Take the medication scrupulously and as Fanny says, get in touch with MacMillan, you live alone and need a friendly professional 'friend' .. The Mac support service number is 0808 808 00 00 .. the call is free .. MacMillan is a superb organisation
  • Options
    How's it going @Derek1952?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derek1952 said:
    Back from Hospital,not good Doctor thinks it is prostate cancer and probably spread to the bones. I have a month of taken hormone tablets to try to arrest the spread.P.S.A is 1200 NOT GOOD. The
     highest is about 25,000.
    Sorry to hear that Derek (only just read that),stay strong mate and keep in touch with this thread/CL....some really good advice and support from fellow Lifers.
  • Options
    Thanks Hastingssaddick. It was last Friday whhen I heard the new something I never expected. I am now wainting for appointment date to have bone scan to see if it has spread. Should be
    sometime next week. I have now taken a week of Hormone tablets, so hopefully they have started to slow any cancer down. Very worrying time. Thanks to every one for you moral support.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    Thanks Hastingssaddick. It was last Friday whhen I heard the new something I never expected. I am now wainting for appointment date to have bone scan to see if it has spread. Should be
    sometime next week. I have now taken a week of Hormone tablets, so hopefully they have started to slow any cancer down. Very worrying time. Thanks to every one for you moral support.
    Good luck buddy, and fingers crossed for you.
  • Options
    Good luck Derek
  • Options
    Appointment for bone scan next Thursday(11) so will report after that if I know any results.
  • Options
    I know you said you live alone but i hope you have got friends nearby to chat it through with.  Only another week to wait and then you can see whats what and get on with what is needed to be done.   Best of luck. 

• Options
    I have very good friends a man who I have know since 1959 and his wife since the early seventies. They have been very good in transporting me to the Hospital. I do drive but they have been
     kind enough to take me. I also have a cousin who has had prostate problems but they were not cancerous.
  • Options
    Best wishes Derek - try to stay positive mate. 
  • Options
    Hello Derek, sorry to hear about the news you had. It is the worse time and you will feel more able to come to terms with whatever the actual position is when there is a clear diagnosis and a treatment plan in place for you.

The website Prostrate Cancer UK was an invaluable source of information for me and I would highly recommend downloading their Toolkit which describes things in simple and easy to understand ways. There is also a Members blog where you will find support from others who have been on your journey. This and the Macmillan nurse means you need not go through this alone. My best wishes and do let us all know how you get on. Steve
  • Options
    Best wishes @Derek1952
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You know we're here for you if & when you need us, Derek.
  • Options

Hi Derek, my psa was 35 (very high) over a year ago, but radiotheraphy and hormones have cured it completely , so good luck , its not that bad mate chin up

• Options
    clivey_hero. Thank You for your good luck. How did the Radiotheraphy affect you, I know it can upset some people. I am on Hormone tablets so hopfully thats a start to recovery.
  • Options
    I'm sure that will be a very long 7-10 days for you.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Hoping for the best.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for you Derek. All the very best.
  • Options
    Good luck Derek and as all have said on here we are all wish you well
  • Options
    Thank you all once again for you concern. I had a phone call from the Hospital(Medyay) to ask if I could go this morning for another scan. I have been and back now. They done a more
     concentrated scan on chest aera also a C.T scan. So a seven to ten day wait. I did ask the scaning nurses but they never reveal anything.