Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cycling Third Party Insurance

Comments

• Options
    If you're a member of some cycling organisations you get it as part of the membership.
    Most cycling specific insurance gives it. Not sure about household insurance.
  • Options
    I have a policy with https://bikmo.com/ it costs around 60 quid per year.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. Decided to join British Cycling so now have third party liability of up to £15 million. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Seems like a shocking miscarriage of justice.

And victimised by the judge because he didn't make a claim.
    No way should he have to pay all the court expenses.

• Options
    Justice not being done here. Poor guy has had 4 years of angst, and has only had damages of that scale awarded against him because he was good enough to not make a mirror claim against her. Likely to bankrupt him, apparently.

I don't see how the judgement can stand, really.  It just doesn't make sense.

All details here, worth some support I think.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-cover-rob-hazeldean039s-legal-fees
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sitting having a coffee under the O2 cable car in the midst of a 10 mile cycle ride up to the Thames barrier and back. Most of this is a cycle route but shared with pedestrians. When I read about this case this morning I felt very uneasy about embarking on this ride even though I have done it many many times without incident. Relieved I was able to get cover quickly and so easily simply by joining British Cycling.

I will certainly donate to his crowd fund page when I get home.
  • Options
    Sitting having a coffee under the O2 cable car in the midst of a 10 mile cycle ride up to the Thames barrier and back. Most of this is a cycle route but shared with pedestrians. When I read about this case this morning I felt very uneasy about embarking on this ride even though I have done it many many times without incident. Relieved I was able to get cover quickly and so easily simply by joining British Cycling.

There are loads of negligent cyclists and pedestrians - insurance at least covers you. 

Driving or cycling now so many pedestrians pay no attention.

This case makes no sense.
  • Options

There are loads of negligent cyclists and pedestrians - insurance at least covers you. 

Driving or cycling now so many pedestrians pay no attention.

This case makes no sense.
    Not only pedestrians not paying attention, but also so much blatant jaywalking. Really pisses me off. 
  • Options
    I would imagine this is ripe for appeal.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I would imagine this is ripe for appeal.
    There’s got to be. I can’t get my head around how she was able to claim when she was completely in the wrong. 
  • Options
    If a car had hit a pedestrian like this almost certainly insurers would be paying something out, not a full on claim due to contributory negligence, but they'd be paying.

It seems unfair, but I think all road users, cyclist or otherwise should have compulsory liability insurance, not just motor propelled vehicles.
  • Options
    There was some cycling body spokesman on LBC yesterday morning saying they insure.  On the show callers were pointing out that if 50% of the blame is allocated to the cyclist who himself was knocked out and injured because the person walked out in front of him....then surely that means he is due compensation...i.e. the payment should net off

Poor bloke
  • Options
    like car driver all cyclists should have insurance and pay road tax, (ducks and departs)
  • Options
    A joke of of legal ineptitude. A road is a thoroughfare for vehicles. A pavement is a thoroughfare for pedestrians. If a vehicle strays onto a pavement it is justifiably liable. If a pedestrian walks in to the path of a cyclist on a road, it is down to them. Were braking distances even discussed?
  • Options
    "Mr Hazeldean fell below the level expected of a reasonably competent cyclist in that he proceeded when the road was not completely clear. Cyclists must be prepared at all times for people to behave in unexpected ways".  That's what the judge said, having heard all the evidence.  

I am surprised that there seems to be a number of people on this thread that are better informed about exactly what happened than the judge, who decided that blame would be shared equally.  

The judge also indicated the likely costs are going to be in the region of £21,000.  So far, his GoFundMe donations page has reached just over £31,000. 

She got hit, knocked out and injured by a cyclist.  What should she be facing in terms of punishment? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Chizz said:
    "Mr Hazeldean fell below the level expected of a reasonably competent cyclist in that he proceeded when the road was not completely clear. Cyclists must be prepared at all times for people to behave in unexpected ways".  That's what the judge said, having heard all the evidence.  

I am surprised that there seems to be a number of people on this thread that are better informed about exactly what happened than the judge, who decided that blame would be shared equally.  

The judge also indicated the likely costs are going to be in the region of £21,000.  So far, his GoFundMe donations page has reached just over £31,000. 

She got hit, knocked out and injured by a cyclist.  What should she be facing in terms of punishment? 
    No punishment but she should be prepared to take responsibility for her actions and at least pay half  the costs.
  • Options
    The usual contrarian's idiotic comments aside it's good to see everyone is in full agreement. I cycle to and from work everyday and see pedestrians walk out into the road all the time (not to say there aren't idiots on all sides), but people walk out into the road like zombies. 

I've had people walk out right in front of me without looking, probably 2 or 3 times a week, not even at lights a lot of the time, just on the cycle superhighway because they only look the way from which traffic comes and not both ways (cycle superhighways allow bikes to go both ways). My number one fear was that I would end up getting seriously hurt because of absolutely zero fault of my own, now it looks like I have to worry that through zero fault of my own I could also get sued. It really made me worry on my ride into work, I already have a camera on my bike in case someone does walk out, but this ruling would suggest that doesn't matter. 

I have a hornit which I recommend everyone who commutes gets, it's basically much louder than a bell and wakes up the zombies. After that I just shout at them to stay still as I brake and take evasive action which avoids the confusion of them going back and forth. 

Definitely the push I've needed to get third party cycling insurance, which to be fair I probably should have had already. 

As for "road tax" it is actually "Vehicle Excise Duty" based on emissions. Bikes don't emit pollution. 
  • Options
    That case law is crazy.

He went correctly through a green light, saw her wander out without looking, hooted his horn, shouted, and swerved to avoid her (unfortunately the same way she stepped back).

What exactly did he do wrong?!
    Didn’t stop?  Most people in/on a motorised vehicle would have slammed on the anchors. Yes, you shout at her and tell her what a stupid cunt she is but you don’t run the risk of hitting her. 
  • Options
    There was some cycling body spokesman on LBC yesterday morning saying they insure.  On the show callers were pointing out that if 50% of the blame is allocated to the cyclist who himself was knocked out and injured because the person walked out in front of him....then surely that means he is due compensation...i.e. the payment should net off

Poor bloke
    Yeah, that's the trouble. He didn't counterclaim (decided not to hire a lawyer). If he had there would have been a net off
  • Options
    Chizz said:

No punishment but she should be prepared to take responsibility for her actions and at least pay half  the costs.
    Just to be clear, you're saying she shouldn't go to court in case she has costs awarded against her?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Just to be clear, you're saying she shouldn't go to court in case she has costs awarded against her?
    No, i'm  saying she should do the decent thing and pay at least half the costs.