Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Catering

Comments

• Options
    Honestly, is it really that big a deal to people?
    its 2 hours, every fortnight or so and you’re not forced to eat it.
    you spend longer on a coach from Larkfield to Charlton but I don’t hear people complaining that Raymond Blanc isn’t passing through the coach offering saffron enthused truffles.

Mmmmm. Saffron infused truffles.
  • Options
    clive said:
     Drawing on expertise of London’s street food scene, this will include introducing a brand-new pie, exclusive to The Valley.

Trying to imagine what our exclusive pie will be...
    Pot noodle pie
  • Options
    God I'm drooling over that Piadina!
  • Options
    What they peddle and how crap their staff are is irrelevant.
    Any business getting into bed with the discredited lying helmet gets what's coming to it.
    Not a penny til the cancer in the club has been excised.
    We can all carry sufficient water and snacks to get us through less than a couple of hours at The Valley.  Any purchasing of the overpriced bad tasting slop is tantamount to fellating the hideous old scumbag.
    If your neighbour was rude, inconsiderate and told lies about you to your other neighbours but was proprietor of the local newsagent, you'd shop elsewhere wouldn't you?
    Buying a pint or a pie off this latest repugnant rabble is essentially the same as defecating in your Nan's bed.

As soon as the ownership changes, the rules change.  Coffees or Bovrils all round.
    Frankly anyone who can't get through 2 hours without an overpriced pint of flat fosters in a floppy plastic cup has bigger personal problems anyway.
  • Options
    You have to taste it - the flatbread isn't like your bog standard flatbread. Its texture and taste is amazing. Also its really cheap to make and prepare. You could even put quality sausages or burgers in it.

I think football clubs are really missing a trick because they go about catering the wrong way.
    It's like most food abroad in my experience, (& i'm not talking high class restaurants, but small cafes, street vendors, bakeries etc etc. even in supermarket cafes) far superior quality, delicious & much cheaper than the UK. Oh & served with a polite greeting & a smile not a mumble & a snarl

You have quite obviously never seen PFC Slavia Sofia play at the Ovcha Kupel Stadium, where I can assure you the, what I can only assume was a whale-blubber burger, was by far the most inedible thing I have taken one bite of in my life

• Options
    garfield said:
    I’m not sure I would get on terribly well, with your current COO mate! If his job was to become available however........ :)
    It, will, it will, hopefully very soon. Would be good to have you back @garfield

Any views on the firm?  Seem very new to football and wonder if they know what they've let themselves in for

Thanks @Henry Irving, I know the firm, they have some high profile contracts & a decent reputation.
    This is their first attempt at a stadium, to my knowledge, which will be very different to any thing else they have done.
    The area manager that is over seeing the The Valley contract, was the GM at the Amex for a number of years, so should have the relevant experience to do a good job, and of course there are a number of vastly experienced staff, that have been retained by the new company.
    My only slight reservation, would be that they may have gone into the contract, “Cheaply” in order to win it, if this is the case it may cause issues, further into the deal, if they are not making enough profit on the operation.
    Hopefully, that is not the case and they will do a good job.
  • Options
    Thanks P,  useful insights.

• Options
    There is something I had at Cesena's ground in Italy that is perfect for football food. It was delicious and I mean delicious and if they served it here I would be encouraged to go to football to eat it. It is a northern Italian flatbread called Piadina. It is cooked on a hot plate and then you van have it hot with Italian parma ham or mortadella in it. There is a closed version also containing mozarella and tomato and you can also have sausage in that.

It is relatively cheap to make and I think it would transform football food if a club tried introducing it.  
    This looks tasty but like the sort of thing that implodes on the first bite leaving half the contents in your lap. 

I mean, during the 2 minutes left of half time you're left with after queuing up, how are you supposed to eat that and post on the Charlton Life Love Island thread simultaneously? Definitely a double hander. 

You've not thought this through Mutts...
  • Options
    @MuttleyCAFC I bought some piadinas from Sainsbury’s. Prosciutto, mozzarella and tomato in one for lunch today. Amazing!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    All you need is a decent pie and a drinkable pint or cup of bovril and that is football eats sorted. 

At current we cant do any of the above.

with next season the crowds getting bigger the pubs will be busier that added to away fans probably trying to drink around Charlton also means a few may venture towards the ground. 

For next season I may revert to blackheath pre game 
    £6 a pint there Mr Hater, and no Wetherspoons.

Try the Elephant and Castle in Woolwich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to Spurs v W Ham a few weeks back in the new WHL.

The catering is in a different league to anything else I have seen in a UK ground. 

A Beavertown brewery on site ain't too bad for starters (Neckoil £5 a pint), real ales and Amstel at £4 a pint.

There's plenty of decent beer soaking stodge to be had......although for football I thought there were far too many sourdough pizzas being consumed.

My mate is a season ticket holder there and reckons that they really have got a captive audience eating and drinking at reasonable prices in the ground from 2 hours before KO and until 1 hour until after final whistle. 
    A shame they have to watch that s*** though.
  • Options
    Well the new catering can't be any worse than the current one. It never fails to disappoint. Worst lager, worst bitter, terrible, slow service and no sign of anyone in charge. Appalling, and put to shame by everyone from Wembley to Dulwich Hamlet.
  • Options
    Can't be any worse than the crap they do now. Cold tasteless food and very slow service with staff that don't know what they are doing. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    I have emailed them to ask about their vegan and vegetarian offerings.
    Why? Whatever it is you wont be happy with it.
    The why is in order to find something out.
    OK?
  • Options
    If they are the same MITIE who have the maintenance contract at my work , then god help us , they start off ok then they cut the staff to the bone , have to wait months just for basic work to be completed . 
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    If they are the same MITIE who have the maintenance contract at my work , then god help us , they start off ok then they cut the staff to the bone , have to wait months just for basic work to be completed . 
    That's the ones :neutral:
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Stig said:
    There is something I had at Cesena's ground in Italy that is perfect for football food. It was delicious and I mean delicious and if they served it here I would be encouraged to go to football to eat it. It is a northern Italian flatbread called Piadina. It is cooked on a hot plate and then you van have it hot with Italian parma ham or mortadella in it. There is a closed version also containing mozarella and tomato and you can also have sausage in that.

It is relatively cheap to make and I think it would transform football food if a club tried introducing it.  
    Muttley, this in England. We're not even allowed to have the plastic cap on a bottle of lemonade in case some idiot tries to use it as a weapon. Do you think well be allowed so stop play by chucking a load of big wooden frisbees on this pitch?
    It's not just about using the bottle with lid on it as a weapon...because it could still do some potential damage thrown whilst filled with liquid & no lid...its also or more so to do with safety,by people leaving the empty plastic bottles with lids on (i.e. Rubbish by seats) they become major trip hazard,tread on one of them if it's still filled with air,even during game whilst jumping about,where are your filed bottles kept,(yep mostly by your seat)...ur gonna do some serious damage to ya selves & others too,by falling into them...if you are leaving empty plastic bottles leave them as flat as you can...anyways if it's a problem take  a cap in with you...but as said take it home but then flatten bottle after use...👍
  • Options
    I used to bring a bottle top in with me, now I just bring a bottle! Cheaper!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Looking at the stray leaf, is this a Italian version of Peakie's rocket?
  • Options
    Honestly, is it really that big a deal to people?
    its 2 hours, every fortnight or so and you’re not forced to eat it.
    you spend longer on a coach from Larkfield to Charlton but I don’t hear people complaining that Raymond Blanc isn’t passing through the coach offering saffron enthused truffles.

Eating and drinking with my mates before each game is a very important pert of the day for me.
    The very least I should expect is a pint that is drinkable and food that is edable. 
    It really is as simple as that. 
    I think it is a lost opportunity for all clubs. Football doesn't have any real tradition for good food and it is untapped potential. And why you have to have crap beer when it surely is not any more difficult to have some good stuff is hard to explain!

Went to a 49'ers game last year. The beers were $10-11 (£8-9). And that is just for 11 ounces (a pint is 16?) But I can get 50 different brands, some of them great quality. A pint-equivalent at our prices in pounds would be something like £11.50-13. In the end, you get what you pay for. Quality won't go up without the price going up too. Is there really a market for it, there?
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Well the new catering can't be any worse than the current one. It never fails to disappoint. Worst lager, worst bitter, terrible, slow service and no sign of anyone in charge. Appalling, and put to shame by everyone from Wembley to Dulwich Hamlet.
    When deal was signed. Same firm as Wembley 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Vincenzo said:
    When deal was signed. Same firm as Wembley 
    The company that did the Catering at the Valley for the last few years was Delaware North who have the contract at Wembley and the Olympic stadium that some shite London club now play at. The Charlton Athletic deal was small for this Global giant and they seemed to use staff that weren't good enough or were on their first day at work !
    Because of the small crowds at the valley untill recently and some folk like me who have only paid out for a coffee in an emergency over the last few years, Delaware North looked at the valley as a small gig that they were pleased to get rid of.
    There is a sell out base ball match coming up at the Stadium in Stratford featuring the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox
    On 29 and 30 June, apparently this sport is similar to rounders ! Every American living and working in London plus others will flock to the stadium and stuff their faces.
    Delaware North will make more money from this weekend than a whole season at the Valley.
  • Options
    Update after a month.
    I emailed this company to ask what their vegan and vegetarian offerings will be.
    That was June 20th.
    No response of any kind, though I politely followed their 'contact us' procedure.

• Options
    The catering last Saturday seemed better organised with sensible pricing - all hot drinks £2.40.
  • Options
    The £4.30 hot dogs we had last sat were the worst thing I've ever eaten at a match from inside a ground
    I thought the burgers last season were not that bad
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    The catering last Saturday seemed better organised 
    They were pouring pints and lining them up like there was no tomorrow in the covered end kiosk I went to. As I posted in the match thread, by half time I only fancied a cup of tea but felt obliged to help them get rid of the pints they’d poured