Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2019/20 Champions League

Comments

• I suspect the issue at Spurs is player's salaries .. relatively small compared to other 'top' Prem club's players .. also, the team is getting old and cream crackered all at once
    For me Spurs have two main issues:

1) They’ve never properly replaced Kyle Walker. They sold Trippier who, despite a poor run of form, was a much more consistent performer than Aurier or Walker Peters. As a result their defensive unit looks shaky at best.

2) Their system still doesn’t maximise Kane. Look how many times Bayern got Lewandowski on the ball central tonight. Kane is forced to play the channels/ drop deep to try and create for the side. 

• JohnBoyUK said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Imagine spending about 100m over the summer and getting turned over 7-2.

Ill be really surprised if Poch lasts till a Christmas 
    I'll be surprised if he's there by the next home game after that!

Bayern were outstanding but that capitulation was one of the worst in memory.
    When was the last time they conceded 7 goals?
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Imagine spending about 100m over the summer and getting turned over 7-2.

Ill be really surprised if Poch lasts till a Christmas 
    I'll be surprised if he's there by the next home game after that!

Bayern were outstanding but that capitulation was one of the worst in memory.
    When was the last time they conceded 7 goals?
    Newcastle away in the 90s.
    Dont think we have at home, not since I followed Spurs :(
  • Said on TV that it was Tottenhams biggest home defeat in Europe ever.

Before tonight there biggest home loss was by 2 goals
  • Laddick01 said:
    I suspect the issue at Spurs is player's salaries .. relatively small compared to other 'top' Prem club's players .. also, the team is getting old and cream crackered all at once

1) They’ve never properly replaced Kyle Walker. They sold Trippier who, despite a poor run of form, was a much more consistent performer than Aurier or Walker Peters. As a result their defensive unit looks shaky at best.

2) Their system still doesn’t maximise Kane. Look how many times Bayern got Lewandowski on the ball central tonight. Kane is forced to play the channels/ drop deep to try and create for the side. 

The main issue above all else is the press and the fitness levels.

When Poch took over Spurs, we used to press the life out of the opposition.  We'd win the ball in the last third and used to kill off teams as a result.

For whatever reason, that doesnt happen now.  When we pressed tonight, we looked the better side for 20 mins.  As soon as we were blowing out of our arse, Bayern put us to the sword.

Not sure Poch survives that result.

• 7 at home against a German side is up there with the worst results in Spurs history. 

How Belgium are the best team in the world with that centre half pairing I’ll never know. 

Absolutely dismal.
  • But, but but but , in terms of expected goals, Opta tell us Bayern would have been expected to score 1.36 goals from their chances. They scored seven.

Spurs' xG was actually higher - 1.97.

Moral victory for Spurs 

• 7 at home against a German side is up there with the worst results in Spurs history. 

How Belgium are the best team in the world with that centre half pairing I’ll never know. 

Absolutely dismal.
    For the record, Vertonghen nornally plays LB for Belgium.

But yes, now confirmed as Spurs' worst result at home in ALL competitons.
  • The flip side to Nayim's goal against Arsenal all those years ago...

• JohnBoyUK said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I suspect the issue at Spurs is player's salaries .. relatively small compared to other 'top' Prem club's players .. also, the team is getting old and cream crackered all at once

The main issue above all else is the press and the fitness levels.

When Poch took over Spurs, we used to press the life out of the opposition.  We'd win the ball in the last third and used to kill off teams as a result.

For whatever reason, that doesnt happen now.  When we pressed tonight, we looked the better side for 20 mins.  As soon as we were blowing out of our arse, Bayern put us to the sword.

Not sure Poch survives that result.

Tiredness must be a key issue here. I know that might sound silly as top players are as fit as they come but if you think that both Belgium and England had long runs at the world cup and half your squad didn't get a proper rest in the 2018 summer. You then had the longest season last year as you went all the way to the CL final. Then there were international games and the Nations league finals.

That means between July 2017 and June 2019 some of your players (who are now getting old) only had 3 weeks rest. In that time frame you didn't buy anyone new and used the same nucleus of players. At the time Poch was labelled a genius for over performing when rivals considerably outspent him (which is true, he did amazingly well), but now i think you're suffering because of it. 

Then in the summer you've gone and bought Sessegnon (injured), Lo Celso (injured) and Ndombele (also been injured at some point). So you're effectively into a 3rd season with virtually the same squad. The areas that needed strengthening are the defence which is tired and needs freshening up and obviously a decent backup for Kane who must also be knackered and has to play every game because Llorente has gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nah, Poch is shit
  •  ;) 

Honestly though, very well put Chris. It must have some impact.
    A couple of transfers each summer can be more important in bringing new faces and personality to freshen up the dressing room than improving the performances sometimes. 
  • Nail on head @Chris_from_Sidcup.
    It wouldn't have helped playing with 10 men for over an hour on Saturday after Aurier was sent off.

• Whilst I agree it's a load of BS, I doubt he'd be shouting it from the rooftops if his mate had been drilling his wife!
  • Whilst I agree it's a load of BS, I doubt he'd be shouting it from the rooftops if his mate had been drilling his wife!
    He also wouldn't be posting hearts next to his mates name on social media
  • Liverpool were 3-0 ahead

Haland has just made it 3-3

Looks like Gomez started tonight. They won 4-3 in the end.

Chelsea won 2-1 at Lille

Chelsea won 2-1 at Lille

Matip absent through injury. Not seen the goals but a bit worrying for Joe that they let in 3 when he plays
  • Sponsored links:

Chelsea won 2-1 at Lille

Matip absent through injury. Not seen the goals but a bit worrying for Joe that they let in 3 when he plays
    In fairness they won't come up against many sides who attack them like Salzburg did.

That Minamino is some player. He's been at Salzburg a while but i'd imagine this season might be his last there.
  • Atletico Madrid are painfully boring to watch. Simeone is a great manager but it amazes when fans of clubs like Man U/Spurs/Chelsea (before Lampard) say they'd like to get him in as manager. They'd be booing him after 2 months.
  • Atletico Madrid are painfully boring to watch. Simeone is a great manager but it amazes when fans of clubs like Man U/Spurs/Chelsea (before Lampard) say they'd like to get him in as manager. They'd be booing him after 2 months.
    Yeah 8 goals in 9 league games says it all. 
  • Agreed, this is a frickin snooze fest
  • Both City and Juve losing at home... to Atalanta and Lokomotiv Moscow
  • Lewandowski has just scored in his 12th consecutive game for Bayern!

Man City have also just equalised.

That a relief

What with Foden playing you'd imagine that his chances of starting more often would be hindered if Man City dont get a result

That a relief

What with Foden playing you'd imagine that his chances of starting more often would be hindered if Man City dont get a result
    And has been sent off!!
  • Slavia Prague get a 0-0 draw in Barcelona 
    anyone that saw the reverse game in Prague 2 weeks ago would have seen Slavia deserved at least a point, if not 3.
  • Random stat/fact of the day

Hummels (7 letters) is the longest name in the Dortmund 11 tonight.