Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Great interview, Gallen really comes over well

I'd forgotten that the Championship transfer deadline for loans is different from that for L1 and L2, so the 8th August is THE deadline for us.

Interesting that he mentions contract extension negotiations with Lapslie, Anfernee and Dillon, as I wasn't aware Dijksteel had signed an extended contract?
  • sadly and very clearly untrue given the massive disparity in budgets, that was the reverse in League One, still good on him.
  • Basically our Director of Football
    Yes, thought that for a while now

Basically our Director of Football
    And bloody good at it!

Indeed
  • edited June 2019

DIRECTOR OF DISASTER

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/duchatelet-charlton.jpg

And bloody good at it too.

• He reminds me of a GM in American sports. Very, very good is Gallen but not a miracle worker. 
  • edited June 2019
    We currently need 11 players to make a squad of 22, knowing Roland we won’t get 22 probably only have 3 forwards, and DM who can also play CB.  

So that brings it down to 9 that we need.
    We can have 5 loans, which we will probably utilise 4 of in this window leaving a spare 1 for an injury in January.

They mentioned we’ve got 2 more signing on who we’ve offered deals to now Bowyer is staying.

So I make it 3 more new signings on contracts.  Lockyer from Bristol Rovers, Purrington and a Forward is my guess.

In Gallen we trust, man’s working miracles in my eyes.
  • Sponsored links:

• These kind of roles don't  usually work, but Gallen & Bowyer seem to have a great relationship & it works well 
  • ozaddick said:
    Never met the bloke, probably never will, but if I did I’d buy that man a good drink for what he’s done and continually does for our club. 
    Send me £50 and I'll buy him a drink on your behalf next time he come to Bromley Addicks
    Prices have gone up in Bromley since I lived there...
  • Basically our Director of Football
    This... Really baffles me when people say about Curbs or Warnock coming in as DoF if a takeover happens etc.

Gallen is already perfect in the role, leave well alone
    Agreed. Apart from anything else, Curbs is sadly out of the game and a TV pundit now, while Warnock is a coach, somebody on the touchline  or in the dressing room bollocking the players and officials, not the analytical person in the background!
  • Does a great job on difficult circumstances top bloke
  • edited June 2019
    This... Really baffles me when people say about Curbs or Warnock coming in as DoF if a takeover happens etc.

Gallen is already perfect in the role, leave well alone
    Guilty as charged.
    But Steve should be the head Scout not Caretaker CEO.
    When someone Said the rumour that if Dalman becomes the new owner he will bring Warnock with him to be manager, my response was make Warnock  "director of Football " so that Bowyer stays manager and Gallen can stay head Scout but could tap into 50 years of networking by Warnock.

I was hoping that we wouldn't just be trying to stay up on the smallest budget but under a new owner, we have the best young managers in Bowyer but keep the best scout around in Gallen and help him by having a senior figure around to take some of the immense workload off Steve.

The best thing Robinson ever did, other than leaving Cafc ! Was getting Bowyer from his fishing lake, Gallen as head Scout and seeing JJ needed to be involved as a coach with the players.

The downside of having Warnock would be wages which should go to Bowyer and Gallen and the rest of the staff. Also a high profile man like NW could affect the dynamics of the manager and his backroom staff.

We need to build this football club again, with a Lively CEO, who can back SG and can get decent finance from the owner. A big struggle under RD but we live in hope under new ownership.

Let that day come soon.

• edited June 2019
    Steve Gallen quote:

“It’s going to be no harder than what we faced last August. We hardly had any players and internally a lot of senior players were not happy – this team isn’t going up, this team is going down.

“Lee was brilliant. Very calm – lads, be patient. Don’t worry we’ll be at the top. He bloody pulled it off as well. Some come in now laughing about it. But at that stage it wasn’t looking too rosey, because of circumstances that were out of our control.”

Too many impatient Doomsters on here. It's not only Roland that reads Charlton Life, then! :smile:

• Does Gallen have a contract post 30/06? 
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess if his stated objective is mid table/survival then it could be argued its roughly the same challenge, still doubtful until we see how the window and loans pan out.
  • se9addick said:
    Does Gallen have a contract post 30/06? 
    Richard Cawley’s article earlier today confirms Jackson and Gallen have signed new deals, and we’re hoping Marshall (Andy, not Mark!) will as well.
  • se9addick said:
    Bowyer said today that JJ and Gallen have signed extensions and waiting to hear on Marshall.
  • Really fortunate to have these guys now. I hope new owners just leave them to it and don’t meddle with a winning dynamic.
  • Some terrific deals were done last season. I have total faith. It must be frustrating because I think the team they built last season would be fine in the Championship, but you have to solve problems like replacing Bauer, Purrington, Aribo, Williams, Cullen, Bielik and to be fair, Grant too. 

I would expect Gallen and Bowyer have lot of credit with Arsenal and West Ham and hope to see them secure some loans of the same calibre as they managed last season with Bielik and Cullen. Surely being in the Championship will help this along with the style of football we play. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Steve Gallen quote:

“It’s going to be no harder than what we faced last August. We hardly had any players and internally a lot of senior players were not happy – this team isn’t going up, this team is going down.

“Lee was brilliant. Very calm – lads, be patient. Don’t worry we’ll be at the top. He bloody pulled it off as well. Some come in now laughing about it. But at that stage it wasn’t looking too rosey, because of circumstances that were out of our control.”

Too many impatient Doomsters on here. It's not only Roland that reads Charlton Life, then! :smile:

Does a good impression of Russell Slade by the sounds of things too.
  • What a quality interview. Proper football man. Well done Steve.
  • Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Richard Cawley’s article earlier today confirms Jackson and Gallen have signed new deals, and we’re hoping Marshall (Andy, not Mark!) will as well.
    se9addick said:
    Bowyer said today that JJ and Gallen have signed extensions and waiting to hear on Marshall.
    That’s great news, sorry had missed that update. 
  • Terrific interview 
  • Agreed. Sounds like he puts himself on the line and gets the support he needs (from Bowyer rather than from Duchâtelet it his frizzy haired bedroom bound idiot Driesen)