Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MARK LAWRENSON

Comments

• Options
    Sky used to have a facility where you could just have the crowd noise, no commentators at all! I got excited when the red button popped up with "select commentry" or whatever it said thinking that BBC had brought it back.
    Sadly not
    Sky now have this facility on the F1 channel when you ride 'in car' with whichever driver you select. Saves having to listen to the constant wittering about tyres. Perhaps they'll bring it back for football.
  • Options
    I haven't done this recently, but I used to avoid the commentary by having my surround sound on and reduce the volume on the centre speaker to zero.
  • Options
    Agreed - there was no one better than Brian Moore.
    NOT the ex England hooker .. he's another blabbering twit
    Erm no. Not that Brian Moore.

This Brian Moore introducing a Charlton goal as goal of the season.

http://youtu.be/pTMsFfkTWaA
    Thank you. I really enjoyed watching that. Brian Moore, Killer and even a cameo from Rodney Marsh..happy days.
  • Options

Top Ten footy commentators/pundits of all time

1. The late Brian Moore (ITV -The Big Match)- great communicator who actually enjoyed the sport of football.
    2. Ken Wostenholme ("they think its all over") now we just wish it was or turn the sound down.
    3. Des Lynam (a legend)
    4. Jonathan Pearce (not that good but far too good for the BBC)
    5. John Motson
    6. Brian Clough (as pundit on England v Poland)
    7. The late Sir Bobby Robson- so passionate about the England games he shed tears as he offered his comments.
    8. David Coleman (Two-nil)
    9. No-on Sky
    10 Err that's it.
    No Barry Davies but John Motson at 5? You sir are wrong
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgXbz8F_nLw
    Barry Davies was good but had to be ommited on the grounds that he also commentated on figure-skating/ice dancing which that left him with a big credibility gap in my book.

Sorry Barry but those who turn to the dark side can never return..

• Options
    Phil Brown makes a late entry for a Coleman's balls award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bu7LquvfeQA
  • Options

1. The late Brian Moore (ITV -The Big Match)- great communicator who actually enjoyed the sport of football.
    2. Ken Wostenholme ("they think its all over") now we just wish it was or turn the sound down.
    3. Des Lynam (a legend)
    5. John Motson
    7. The late Sir Bobby Robson- so passionate about the England games he shed tears as he offered his comments.
    9. No-on Sky
    10 Err that's it.
    Barry Davies was good but had to be ommited on the grounds that he also commentated on figure-skating/ice dancing which that left him with a big credibility gap in my book.

Barry did many sports and shows how versatile he was, you say the dark side was skating, well how about the Olympic hockey final that brought tha majestic quote:
    "And where were the Germans? And quite frankly, who cares?"
    His descriptive style surpassed Motson's stat based commentary, imo of course!
  • Options
    Phil Brown makes a late entry for a Coleman's balls award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bu7LquvfeQA
    Brilliant, he carried right on talking, not even aware that homophobic was not the right word to use!!!
  • Options

3. Des Lynam (a legend)
    5. John Motson
    9. No-on Sky
    10 Err that's it.

Never mind the commentator, how about seeing an England team that actually kept possession? Oh, for a modern day Glenn Hoddle.
  • Options
    the most depressing thing is these people are paid (presumably a sizeable amount) for the drivel they come out with
  • Options
    alan hanson gets £40.000 for every appearance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jesus, match of the day what, 30 times a year for 10+ years...

on a side note, surely someones having a laugh on his wikipedia page: 'he is known as a calm, authoritative, and rational analyst of the game'
  • Options

3. Des Lynam (a legend)
    5. John Motson
    9. No-on Sky
    10 Err that's it.

Barry did many sports and shows how versatile he was, you say the dark side was skating, well how about the Olympic hockey final that brought tha majestic quote:
    Fully respect your loyalty to Barry and to be fair, Motty's stats could get a bit overwhelming "I think its worth mentioning that this is only the 19th FA Cup Final where only one team are wearing red socks" etc. However at the risk of causing grave offence to your commentary hero, wasn't Barry's voice a bit too.. well squeeky???
  • Options
    grumpyaddick said:

3. Des Lynam (a legend)
    5. John Motson
    9. No-on Sky
    10 Err that's it.

Good list Grumpy I would add Mike Ingham who in my opinion is a really good commentator. Of all the others I really hated top of my list was Andy Gray....what a knob and as for Alan Shearer everytime air goes over his vocal chords and he pushes it comes out as shit.
  • Options

3. Des Lynam (a legend)
    5. John Motson
    9. No-on Sky
    10 Err that's it.

Fully respect your loyalty to Barry and to be fair, Motty's stats could get a bit overwhelming "I think its worth mentioning that this is only the 19th FA Cup Final where only one team are wearing red socks" etc. However at the risk of causing grave offence to your commentary hero, wasn't Barry's voice a bit too.. well squeeky???
    And Motty's geek voice isn't? "DDA Drog-bar"
  • Options
    Agree on Mike Ingham. Alan Green (BBC Radio 5 Live) used to be good too before he started believing he was the reason we tuned in.

I am too mean to pay for Sky and hate those ridiculous dishes but have always found their pundits a bit dumbed down.

Think that Col must be Col Davies, the love child and third son of Barry. There is no other logical explanation.

• Options
    I do have his hairline, finally it all makes sense
  • Options
    Barry and Motty were great.

If only Jonathon Pearce could find a midway point between his Capital Gold commentary (where he had orgasms when a team crossed the half-way line) and his BBC one (where he is too calm) then I think he should be more senior.
  • Options

Top Ten Crap Footy Commentators/Pundits of All Time

1. Manish What-ever-his-name is with the blinky eyes (Football league show)who should be restricted to talking about Crufts
    2. Mark Lawrensen (BBC)who has become so camp over the years he sounds like a northern drag queen.
    3. Andy "bleeding obvious" Townsend (ITV) for the most banal and anodyne observations in modern broadcasting.
    4. Steve "worn rug for hair" Claridge (BBC)- should be banned purely on the grounds of his hair and Millwall connections.
    5. Alan "the defending is abysmal" Hansen- been doing it so long in those nylon black shirts he has become a characature of himself.
    6. Andy Gray (FL Manager) for criticising my efforts.
    7. Err sorry bored of this already..someone else take over...
    Surely John "ooh it's a good one" Helm must be in there somewhere?
  • Options

Lets find room for Barry (Father of Colin) Davies and John Helm. What was the name of the Norwegian commentator "Winston Churchill, Maggie Thatcher.. we sure gave your boys a beating..etc etc"?

He could go on the international list.
  • Options
    I missed Lawrro last night, Martin Keown is far to sensible and monotone, Lawrro would have brightened that dull game up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lets find room for Barry (Father of Colin) Davies and John Helm. What was the name of the Norwegian commentator "Winston Churchill, Maggie Thatcher.. we sure gave your boys a beating..etc etc"?

He could go on the international list.
    Who is Colin?
  • Options
    I missed Lawrro last night, Martin Keown is far to sensible and monotone, Lawrro would have brightened that dull game up
    has keown got a breathing problem? every single time he made a comment, at the end he would inhale for all of us to hear.
  • Options
    Why did Lawrenson leave Oxford?
  • Options
    Really getting to me tonight
  • Options
    grumpyaddick said:

3. Des Lynam (a legend)
    5. John Motson
    9. No-on Sky
    10 Err that's it.

Good list Grumpy I would add Mike Ingham who in my opinion is a really good commentator. Of all the others I really hated top of my list was Andy Gray....what a knob and as for Alan Shearer everytime air goes over his vocal chords and he pushes it comes out as shit.
    How can Barry Davis not be in this list? A true great in his field.

• Options
    Yes Barry Davies was a TV version of Green. Terrible.
  • Options
    No votes for Alan Weeks, a man who really knew a triple salko from a double lutz.
  • Options
    He was awful again tonight.
  • Options
    Vialli was good. Keown says absolutely nothing of any value.
  • Options
    Yes Barry Davies was a TV version of Green. Terrible.
    This