Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Recommend a decent instant coffee

DA9DA9
edited June 2019 in Not Sports Related
right, i don’t want coffee snobs telling me to spend £400 on a machine and spend 20 minutes every morning doing prep.

Anyone recommend a hidden gem supermarket shelf coffee, a Lidl or Aldi foreign secret even, looking for strong flavours.

TIA 

Comments

• There isn’t one. Get an Italian stove top maker and make in the morning. (Colombian coffee) put in a contigo coffee mug which keeps hot for ages and then top up as needed. 

I am considering if I need to get a coffee grinder instead of buying the ground coffee. 🙂
  • edited June 2019

“He’s gotta name like a fanny.....”
  • DA9 said:
    right, i don’t want coffee snobs telling me to spend £400 on a machine and spend 20 minutes every morning doing prep.

Anyone recommend a hidden gem supermarket shelf coffee, a Lidl or Aldi foreign secret even, looking for strong flavours.

TIA 
    Best instant one I have ever had is Asda's extra special Colombian ones

https://groceries.asda.com/product/premium-coffee/asda-extra-special-barista-style-colombian-microground-instant-coffee/910003088715

https://groceries.asda.com/product/premium-coffee/asda-extra-special-colombian-microground-instant-coffee-intenso/1000047927324

• How about coffee pods? I'll wait for an outraged response that coffee pods are the pods of Satan himself and aren't really coffee then change my mind and recommend Jamaican Blue Mountain.
  • Nescafé Barista 
  • Tesco finest Ethiopian and percol smooth Colombian
  • I read an article that said coffee beans are graded 1 to 5 and the UK rarely has better than grade 3 available anywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:
    Tesco finest Ethiopian and percol smooth Colombian
    Tried Percol recently and thought it was rank. Don't usually have sugar in my coffee but needed it to mask the taste 

Another vote for Nescafé Barista, although I have been getting into my cafetiere and trying out random coffee recently
  • Nescafé Blend37. Been drinking it for 40 odd years. 
     Instant coffee is lovely, you just need to make it with boiled milk. 

• I take it black. Like my men.

Some percols are better than others. I tried the one rated 5 strength, and it was like the coffee baldrick made in Blackadder Goes Forth
  • Kenco Columbian 
  • Kenco Costa Rican is the biz (or some of the supermarkets also do Costa Rican under their own name)
    I prefer a stronger taste, so rather this than the Columbian.
    2 teaspoons per cup.
    Add cold milk if desired (whoever said boiled milk, yuk revolting)
  • buckshee said:
    There ain't one, instant doesn't look, taste. smell or work like proper coffee.

No need to get a flashy machine, just a french press and a decent coffee.
    Spot on, almost as easy to make as instant too. No comparison in taste.
  • kimbo said:
    There isn’t one. Get an Italian stove top maker and make in the morning. (Colombian coffee) put in a contigo coffee mug which keeps hot for ages and then top up as needed. 

I am considering if I need to get a coffee grinder instead of buying the ground coffee. 🙂
    This x100. The stove top moka pots cost about £12-£15 and use normal ground coffee. My favourite so far is Waitrose italian blend. Cant drink instant now, and the pod stuff just doesnt compare. Intense flavour, and makes the kitchen smell fabulous. Instant wont do that.

• Douwe Egbert Pure Gold
  • ^^^^ Moby Duck has nailed it, can highly recommend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nescafé Alta Rica is very good for the cheaper end.
  • Douwe Egbert Pure Gold
    This. The everyday fuel of life
  • Columbian Colon Blow guaranteed to wake you up set you up for a good days work, might be in the shithouse but still a good days work.
  • Agree on Azera. Not a coffee ponce, by any means, but instant coffee is almost universally vile. Azera is the only passable instant coffee I've ever drunk 
  • edited June 2019
    Right. 3/4 your mug with milk. Stick a spoonfall of any instant coffee you like on top. Add sugar if desired. Microwave for 2.5 - 3 minutes. Be careful. It gets frothy.
    Stir up and enjoy
  • Have tosay, I go for Cafe Direct's Machu Picchu, with Gold Blend as back up.
  • MOBY DUCK said:

The Kenco rival to this, Milicano isn't bad either
  • MOBY DUCK said:

It's good but the Intenso version is better.