Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

From Welling to Wembley (‘98)

edited June 2019 in General Charlton
Anyone remember this book? I had a copy until recently. Wonder if we could do a new one. I particularly liked it as I got a mansion in it, and in a weird foreshadowing I now live in Welling..

Comments

• Options
    your Mansion, was it Danson Mansion ? 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I’m blaming the wife, lots of CAFC shirts missing too.. :(
  • Options
    Was it completely fan produced or did the club do it?
  • Options
    Was it a Charlie Connolly? I did have it back in the day but alas no longer
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Can’t remember the author off the top of my head, but judging by the cover assume it would be fan produced.

*A quick check online credits Anthony Fowles

Edit - Airman’s proved me wrong on all fronts.
  • Options
    I believe the club are planning a publication 
  • Options
    Can’t remember the author off the top of my head, but judging by the cover assume it would be fan produced.

Funnily enough the cover was the only thing that was produced by a professional designer!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Funnily enough the cover was the only thing that was produced by a professional designer!
    To be fair, I am judging it against illustration and design standards 21 years later. I might be being unduly harsh.
  • Options

To be fair, I am judging it against illustration and design standards 21 years later. I might be being unduly harsh.
    From what I can recall one of the image layers of the front cover went missing. There should have been something behind the main image. It was only when the books were delivered that we became aware it had gone awry.
  • Options
    We've still got our copy. Dug it out the other day as it was full of photos from the day too.
  • Options
    olster said:
    We've still got our copy. Dug it out the other day as it was full of photos from the day too.
    It was really about bringing the pictures together - mostly taken by Tom Morris, Steve Bridge and Tony Mitchell - as much as about the fans' stories. At the time people didn't have camera phones, social media didn't exist and the internet was only getting going. We'd only started what became the official website in 1995.
  • Options
    This was one of my dad prized possessions, he even amended the cover to read 'From Welwyn to Wembley' to relfect our day, its one I will always treasure now he has gone. 

We had a family one made up for the Carlisle promotion in 2012 called 'Promoted in a Hopeless Place' we went with @JimmyStone 's dad Pete and my lad Georgie read both books every night in the lead up to years game, I really hope the club do produce something so we have a trilogy of promotion memories on the shelf.  

• Options
    perhaps a new version could have some slots to insert own pictures
  • Options

Still got my copy and you can see me, my wife and two sons on page 32.

Well you could if you had a nuclear powered magnifying glass...................

• Options
    Still got my copy, too.
  • Options
    Great book. I liked the magic eye style poster as well. Sadly I haven't got a copy of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    olster said:
    It was really about bringing the pictures together - mostly taken by Tom Morris, Steve Bridge and Tony Mitchell - as much as about the fans' stories. At the time people didn't have camera phones, social media didn't exist and the internet was only getting going. We'd only started what became the official website in 1995.
    Oh i meant our copy was full of photos of us from the day that we had had printed.
  • Options
    I like this book, it brings back great memories. I’d be keen on one for this year. 
  • Options

• Options
    olster said:
    olster said:
    Oh i meant our copy was full of photos of us from the day that we had had printed.
    Even better!
  • Options
    Loved the book.  

And I loved the sequel that came out the following summer, called "...And Back"
  • Options
    We have a copy available for sale in the museum
  • Options
    available on ebay too
  • Options
    I have a copy signed by all the players. 
  • Options
    olster said:
    I still have mine, signed by loads of players at the player of the year party