Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If we only had the money to sign one of Bauer or Aribo....who would you go for

Would you opt for Bauer - knowing a solid defence is or paramount importance next season and could be the difference between staying up or not.

or would you go for Aribo as he might have the trickery to conjure something up when we need it.

If I could only have one I would probably opt for Bauer because our defence will be under scrutiny and we need someone who won't get bullied

Comments

• Options
    Aribo
  • Options
    aribo 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Bauer

Just to be different. Plus I think he's more of a guarantee to do well next season.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Aribo. Possible we might replace Bauer with someone of similar ability. Won't get close to signing anyone as talented as Aribo. 
    Aribo for the same reason as @Talal
  • Options
    Keep Bauer.

More NEEDED.
  • Options
    Green or Wagstaff ?
  • Options
    Aribo, as you'd expect him to get better, whereas Bauer has probably reached his potential already
  • Options
    Aribo more sensible. How much will Bauer be worth in 3 years say 
  • Options
    Aribo all day, higher sell on potential, we wouldn't find someone of his ability with our budget, Bauer we probably could, he's younger and we may have seen the best of Bauer, I don't think we have of Aribo 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aribo, would love to see him improve in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Aribo because he is younger and worth more in the future and there is more to come from him. Still love BFG though!
  • Options
    Bauer for the sole reason that i would imagine even if we kept Aribo in the summer he would go in January anyway if he played even vaguely well
  • Options
    Bauer. Good midfield players are ten a penny. Good defenders and good goal scorers are worth their weight in gold.
  • Options
    Don't compare, Don't compare.

Two players who had great seasons.
    Aribo is a magic footed player who has loads of flair and Bauer is an old fashioned CB who at 27 could still improve but won't gain any more pace.

Don't compare, Don't compare.
  • Options
    Bauer. Good midfield players are ten a penny. Good defenders and good goal scorers are worth their weight in gold.
    Incorrect. 

If you don't have the men in the middle....making good decisions, sweeping up, creating chances, flowing the game play in the direction we wish to see.

Then the defenders role is incapable to defend itself. They will be overwhelmed....and won't be able to fight for themselves.

Every player on the pitch is as important as the next.

I would still choose Bauer. He is more likely to stay with the club for a longer time. He is a name in the dressing room and his departure would mess us up quite a lot.

Aribo is expected to leave. 
  • Options
    Aribo all day, everyday.

Plenty of quality, experienced centre halves available. I actually think we can get better than Bauer.
  • Options
    There is a school of thought that we never replaced Scott Parker and that directly contributed to our decline before Chris Powell was able to rebuild and drag us part of the way back.

The Belgian Nutter then undid all Powell's good work and got us relegated to league 1 so it is only now that we are clawing our way back thanks to Lee Bowyer and his team whom, it should be said, have still not been signed up by the Belgian Nutter despite winning promotion!

Joe Aribo was a massive part of Bowyer's team, along with Bauer too of course, but, like Parker, how many midfielders will we be able to find with the mobility of Joe and ability to score close on 10 goals no penalties?

For that reason my choice is Aribo, given the parameters of the question, although in an ideal world I'd love to keep both.
  • Options
    Aribo 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    difficult. Bauer saves more goals than he scores and is a seasoned championship professional,

Arobo is not without defensive abilities but has very quick feet, seemingly elastic legs in a challenge and if he continues to drive forwards will get goals and assists.

so I’ve talked myself into Aribo despite him not having proved it in championship in the same way as Bauer more because I like the attacking side of football and appreciate the defensive. 

No no way in hell I’d want to lose either as there are both good talents, committed and love playing for Charlton. 
  • Options
    Bauer. 

But I would take Cullen over either.
  • Options
    Aribo, younger so will improve more, plays in a position harder to replace players IMO and (if here post RD) will be worth a tonne of money if we sold him compared to Bauer
  • Options
    like saying which of your children do you love the most .. the hypothesis will never come true .. I think both will stay unless a silly bid is made for Aribo who would/will be in bigger 'demand' than Bauer
  • Options
    Bauer. 

But I would take Cullen over either.
    that would be a tight call .. I'd also add Bielik to that equation 
  • Options
    Aribo all day long.  He will go onto play at a higher level than Bauer could imo 
  • Options
    Aribo, all day long. 

I think they'd both contribute in the Championship. I think they'd both help offer a strong spine, around which a solid team could be built.  And I think they're both good enough to play in the higher reaches of the Championship and to pull other, less-talented players up to their level. 

So, why Aribo?  Because Bauer said at the start of the season he was off.  So I couldn't pick him over someone else. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Aribo, all day long. 

I think they'd both contribute in the Championship. I think they'd both help offer a strong spine, around which a solid team could be built.  And I think they're both good enough to play in the higher reaches of the Championship and to pull other, less-talented players up to their level. 

So, why Aribo?  Because Bauer said at the start of the season he was off.  So I couldn't pick him over someone else. 
    Don't get into a row with Chizz, man knows how to hold a grudge!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Incorrect. 

If you don't have the men in the middle....making good decisions, sweeping up, creating chances, flowing the game play in the direction we wish to see.

Then the defenders role is incapable to defend itself. They will be overwhelmed....and won't be able to fight for themselves.

Every player on the pitch is as important as the next.

I would still choose Bauer. He is more likely to stay with the club for a longer time. He is a name in the dressing room and his departure would mess us up quite a lot.

Aribo is expected to leave. 
    Good points but Midfield players still ten a penny though so still Bauer for me 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    LenGlover said:
    There is a school of thought that we never replaced Scott Parker and that directly contributed to our decline before Chris Powell was able to rebuild and drag us part of the way back.

The Belgian Nutter then undid all Powell's good work and got us relegated to league 1 so it is only now that we are clawing our way back thanks to Lee Bowyer and his team whom, it should be said, have still not been signed up by the Belgian Nutter despite winning promotion!

Joe Aribo was a massive part of Bowyer's team, along with Bauer too of course, but, like Parker, how many midfielders will we be able to find with the mobility of Joe and ability to score close on 10 goals no penalties?

For that reason my choice is Aribo, given the parameters of the question, although in an ideal world I'd love to keep both.
    Slightly off topic, but to be fair it was the Spivs running out of money which undid Powell's good work! Without Roland we probably would have gone into administration and got relegated that season. Roland majorly screwed up in the Luzon/Fraeye/Riga season...