Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will set pieces be the key to success next season?

Set pieces were one of our biggest strengths last season. During the season we scored a total of 33 goals from set piece situations, second only to West Brom (34) across the whole of the EFL (stat from @MarkOHaire on twitter).

With the step up in quality next season from open play, will a continued emphasis on set piece opportunities provide the key to establishing ourselves and staying clear of relegation?

Comments

• Options
    We don't have enough players or a manager for next season.  So that makes me think it's too soon to start guessing how we'll play if we get a team out. 
  • Options
    Then perhaps we’ll recruit with that in mind?
  • Options
    Depends what you classify  "set pieces" as  ??  I suspect they include penalties because our free kicks were abysmal. Only Taylor & Sarr (!??) scored directly from one this past season. Didn't get too many goals directly from corners either. Stats lie. 
  • Options
    Depends what you classify  "set pieces" as  ??  I suspect they include penalties because our free kicks were abysmal. Only Taylor & Sarr (!??) scored directly from one this past season. Didn't get too many goals directly from corners either. Stats lie. 
    No team scored more goals from corners in League One than us.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    No team scored more goals from corners in League One than us.
    Where were the corner stats? I can’t find them but remember seeing it.
  • Options
    Who took the free kicks and the corners this past season? Cullen took all the corners in the play-off final iirc but I didn't get to watch enough games to take notice of it previously. 

I guess JFC will be taking the free kicks next season if he stays?

Personally I think set-pieces will be vital. I watched a lot of West Ham and Sunderland games when they were managed by Allardyce respectively. Not saying we should play like those teams but I think one of the most effective ways to score is through set-pieces especially when you face a team that is better than you. I doubt we'll be able to score as many goals from open play as we did last season (unless we upgrade our squad significantly, which is not going to happen).
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Who took the free kicks and the corners this past season? Cullen took all the corners in the play-off final iirc but I didn't get to watch enough games to take notice of it previously. 

I guess JFC will be taking the free kicks next season if he stays?

Personally I think set-pieces will be vital. I watched a lot of West Ham and Sunderland games when they were managed by Allardyce respectively. Not saying we should play like those teams but I think one of the most effective ways to score is through set-pieces especially when you face a team that is better than you. I doubt we'll be able to score as many goals from open play as we did last season (unless we upgrade our squad significantly, which is not going to happen).
    Generally Cullen. Reeves too occasionally when he played.

EDIT: Thinking about it Reeves taking them was probably when Cullen was out injured. Albie Morgan took the odd one too at that time.