Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electric Car

13»

Comments

• Options
    Danepak said:
    And why isn't it a building regulation that every new house has an electric charging unit?  It will come eventually why not plan for it.
    You can plug a Nissan Leaf into any normal plug. No need for a special electric charging unit. 
    The made for purpose units are faster charging, have built in safety features and are located outside the house so you don't have to worry about leads trailing through the house and over flower beds.  Not an electrician, but I understand that a 3 pin socket is not as safe as it takes a higher load than it's designed for and potentially a hazard.
    The 3 pin socket chargers are legal here in NZ, so not sure of any hazards.
    However, you're spot on - you can have a made for purpose unit, which indeed is charging the car faster.
    We're shortly going to have a house built and I'm planning on having this installed.
  • Options
    Electric cars are still incredibly expensive - the price presumably will come down.
  • Options
    I drive less than 4000 miles a year in my Hyundai i30. I live in a flat so have to park in residential facilities. I'm not passionate about motoring and generally prefer public transport where possible.

The way things are going, I think it's highly likely this Hyundai will be the last ever car I own. The future is in public transport and using car hire/sharing services only when necessary.

If a significant number of people can accept that model going forward, that could play a major role in reducing emissions and slowing climate change.

Not for me pal. Some of my clients live up country lanes miles from public transport. I'll be buggered if I'm going to get a train  then a bus & then walk 2 miles in the dark in the pouring rain. 

Then, if I had an electric car, it would have run out of charge by the time I got there & I'd be stuck trying to find somewhere in the middle of nowhere where I could charge it up from. I'll stick to my diesel car until electric/hybrids have charging capacities equal to a full tank of fuel and/or there are as many charging points as there are petrol stations currently. 

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I drive less than 4000 miles a year in my Hyundai i30. I live in a flat so have to park in residential facilities. I'm not passionate about motoring and generally prefer public transport where possible.

The way things are going, I think it's highly likely this Hyundai will be the last ever car I own. The future is in public transport and using car hire/sharing services only when necessary.

If a significant number of people can accept that model going forward, that could play a major role in reducing emissions and slowing climate change.

Not for me pal. Some of my clients live up country lanes miles from public transport. I'll be buggered if I'm going to get a train  then a bus & then walk 2 miles in the dark in the pouring rain. 

Then, if I had an electric car, it would have run out of charge by the time I got there & I'd be stuck trying to find somewhere in the middle of nowhere where I could charge it up from. I'll stick to my diesel car until electric/hybrids have charging capacities equal to a full tank of fuel and/or there are as many charging points as there are petrol stations currently. 

I never claimed not owning a car would suit everyone. However, I do believe attitudes will have to change somewhat. Both of my sons have never learned to drive, largely because staggeringly high insurance costs have made car ownership unaffordable to them. Even if they learn how to drive eventually, it's quite likely neither of them will ever own a car. I reckon there must be many others like them in the same situation. That was never the case when I was their age. 

• Options
    edited June 2019

Not for me pal. Some of my clients live up country lanes miles from public transport. I'll be buggered if I'm going to get a train then a bus & then walk 2 miles in the dark in the pouring rain. Then, if I had an electric car, it would have run out of charge by the time I got there & I'd be stuck trying to find somewhere in the middle of nowhere where I could charge it up from. I'll stick to my diesel car until electric/hybrids have charging capacities equal to a full tank of fuel and/or there are as many charging points as there are petrol stations currently.

These changes are good. Stop being a dinosaur fearing change.

I hope they force your change sooner rather than later so your super polluting, carcinogen chugging heap of crap gets off the road.
  • Options

I never claimed not owning a car would suit everyone. However, I do believe attitudes will have to change somewhat. Both of my sons have never learned to drive, largely because staggeringly high insurance costs have made car ownership unaffordable to them. Even if they learn how to drive eventually, it's quite likely neither of them will ever own a car. I reckon there must be many others like them in the same situation. That was never the case when I was their age. 

My eldest daughter turned 17 in 2017 and immediately learnt to drive as did all her school friends, my yogurt will start next March as she hits 17.

Another problem with electric cars right now is what if you get stuck in traffic?
  • Options
    Are there any electric lorries, vans or buses yet, seeing as these are the biggest polluters?

How much of our rail network is still not electrified?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Are there any electric lorries, vans or buses yet, seeing as these are the biggest polluters?

How much of our rail network is still not electrified?
    Electric buses are not uncommon in Central London. Routes 507 and 521 have them. The first electric double deckers will enter service on route 43 very soon.

There are still large parts of the rail network which are not electrified. The latest thinking is to have battery powered trains which can recharge when they run on electrified parts of the network. I hear this is actively being considered for the line to Uckfield in East Sussex. The line is electrified between London and Hurst Green, so trains could run on battery power for the remainder of the line.
  • Options
    So two bus routes then.

Yet car drivers are the ones punished.
  • Options
    I'd say two routes are not only uncommon but also embarrassing.

It's time The UK got with the times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why has there been such little progress with vans/lorries - presumably power is an issue?
  • Options
    My birth Dad has a Tesla Model X.

It's like being in a space ship. The speed of the thing is insane, and the intelligence it has is equally incredible. If I could afford to go down that route I definitely would.

I'm sure in a few years the prices will come down and they'll become more affordable.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    So two bus routes then.

Yet car drivers are the ones punished.
    Yep. And while tfl are taxing petrol/diesal users through ulez, they are currently trialling an on demand bus service for a year..... using diesal vehicles.
  • Options
    If you do next to no mileage in the low emission zone it seems incredibly wasteful to scrap a perfectly serviceable diesel. I live just inside the extended zone but do nearly all my mileage outside it. 
  • Options
    I never knew dinosaurs feared change, had assumed they died out before developing such emotions
  • Options
    I never knew dinosaurs feared change, had assumed they died out before developing such emotions
             Fascinating to watch The Planets programme by Professor Cox on BBC2. 3.5bilion years ago Mars had water on it & the Earth had no living things & had a complety different atmosphere. Things change. Not saying I'm a climate change denier, but the solar system changes from time to time.