Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Big ask that
  • Big ask that
    Absolutely but possible, they are a good side on their day. 
  • Be very surprised if the beat india
  • SA won't make the semis and their WC will be all but over when they lose on Wednesday against India.

Their batting is brittle and lacks depth and their fielding at times is woeful. Today the bowlers didn't turn up either, albeit that they were limited by the injury to Ngidi and the absence of Steyn. Neither is guaranteed to be 100% fit for Wednesday and with Tahir holding no secrets to those that play with and against him in the IPL (last series v India he had figures of 1-175) I suspect that they will get well and truly stuffed.

But then I did say they would bowl Bangladesh for next to nothing today so what do I know!
  • The problem with the everyone plays everybody else system is that potentially you could end up with a lot of dead rubbers

It's all very well guaranteeing that the big countries (India really) are involved for 9 matches, but it's a bizarre way of holding a tournament really, with only 3 actual knockout matches out of 48 fixtures.
  • The problem with the everyone plays everybody else system is that potentially you could end up with a lot of dead rubbers

It's all very well guaranteeing that the big countries (India really) are involved for 9 matches, but it's a bizarre way of holding a tournament really, with only 3 actual knockout matches out of 48 fixtures.
    Agreed, at the very least they should have split it into two groups and top 2 from each go through. 
  • Yeah, but in England (and Wales) they all sell out anyway.  I think in 1999 wasn't there a game in Holland as well.

Agreed, at the very least they should have split it into two groups and top 2 from each go through. 
    Have 2 more countries involved, giving 2 groups of 6. That means 30 group matches instead of 45, a more sensible number.
  • Yeah but then India is only on TV for a guaranteed four/five matches rather than nine. Sadly it’s all about the broadcasting numbers for the ICC and they would rather have an India vs Bangladesh dead rubber over a South Africa vs New Zealand knockout match.

The 2007 World Cup was the perfect set up (4 groups of four, quarter final knockouts) but India didn’t make it through the group stage...
  • Yeah but then India is only on TV for a guaranteed four/five matches rather than nine. Sadly it’s all about the broadcasting numbers for the ICC and they would rather have an India vs Bangladesh dead rubber over a South Africa vs New Zealand knockout match.

The 2007 World Cup was the perfect set up (4 groups of four, quarter final knockouts) but India didn’t make it through the group stage...
    I'm not sure any country dominates how a sport is run as much as India does for cricket. The format of tournaments, the sponsors, many of which are based in India only etc
  • Sponsored links:

I'm not sure any country dominates how a sport is run as much as India does for cricket. The format of tournaments, the sponsors, many of which are based in India only etc
    Only for the last 30 years. We or the MCC ran it before then. 
     Scotland still have a strong grip on the Highland Games tbf...

I think there's still quite a concentration of influence within one country in the running of the World Series. 
  • edited June 2019
    Chizz said:
    Yeah but then India is only on TV for a guaranteed four/five matches rather than nine. Sadly it’s all about the broadcasting numbers for the ICC and they would rather have an India vs Bangladesh dead rubber over a South Africa vs New Zealand knockout match.

I think there's still quite a concentration of influence within one country in the running of the World Series. 
    I think I've already done that joke but with a more humorous example. 
  • edited June 2019
    Riviera said:
    Yeah but then India is only on TV for a guaranteed four/five matches rather than nine. Sadly it’s all about the broadcasting numbers for the ICC and they would rather have an India vs Bangladesh dead rubber over a South Africa vs New Zealand knockout match.

Only for the last 30 years. We or the MCC ran it before then. 
     Scotland still have a strong grip on the Highland Games tbf...
    When the MCC ran it though, it wasn't a commercial enterprise in the same way it is now. Indeed the big changes were led in Australia with the Packer revolution
  • Like Pakistan, Sri Lanka are playing much better in their second match. 79-0 after 10 overs
  • From 144-1 Sri Lanka collapse to 149-5!
  • 182-8 rain stopped play
  • What do you expect from Cardiff. 
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48514985

Steyn out of the World Cup. A fit Steyn would have been a massive asset, but he's not been fit for a while now
  • Posted at 14:41

Post update

Hello again, it's still hammering it down in Cardiff but there are a hardy band of supporters still at the stadium who seem to be enjoying themselves, despite the elements. Huddling together for shelter, they are taking in the music being played on the PA system and remain hopeful.

The position is that play has to resume by 17:51 BST or the match will be abandoned and it will be one point each. Now the Cardiff groundstaff are used to mopping up the rain, it has to be said, so if it does stop raining their expertise will be invaluable.

• Sponsored links:

• Posted at 15:35

Play to re-start at 4pm

We have news. Play will resume at 16:00 BST and it will become a 41 overs per side match. This means Sri Lanka will have eight overs to try and muster some more from their current 182, with only two wickets remaining.

• Vera Duckworth Lewis hasn't done Afghanistan any favours here.
  • SL 201 all out 
  • Afg need  187 from 41
  • 121-6 off 25
  • 142-9 off 32
  • SL win by 34

I quite like it - if you are going to win or get to the play off phases you need to be the most consistent side. Not be in the easiest group or have the weather conditions in your favour 

I quite like it - if you are going to win or get to the play off phases you need to be the most consistent side. Not be in the easiest group or have the weather conditions in your favour 
    Yes, me too.
    I get KAFs point, but feel this is the most logical way to ensure the best 4 teams get to the semis (weather permitting of course).
  • edited June 2019
    The problem with the everyone plays everybody else system is that potentially you could end up with a lot of dead rubbers

Yes, me too.
    I get KAFs point, but feel this is the most logical way to ensure the best 4 teams get to the semis (weather permitting of course).
    A slight element of randomness can make things more interesting. If Football's Champions League was like the cricket world cup, you'd have a league of 10 super clubs (3 English, 3 Spanish, Juventus, PSG, Munich and perhaps Ajax) all playing each other, with the top 4 going into the semis. That way India Man U would get 9 games guaranteed etc