Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer

Comments

• @Rudders22, so Frank Lampard gets the job with no experience, yet Lee Bowyer with a successful 15 months experience, just 1 division down is a gamble ?
    Actualy good point. I didn't think of that. 
  • I personally think if Bows doesn't get the contract he wants at Charlton, he'll shrug his shoulders, and go back to running his lake in France...

He's made it abundantly clear, on numerous occasions, to anyone that would listen, that he never really wanted to get into management anyway.

And he won't have anywhere near the same level of goodwill if he went to Derby. Leeds are, in my opinion, the only club that would be a conundrum for him, IF they ever came calling.

And, I'm utterly convinced that Jacko will go NOWHERE. He told me a few years ago that his ambition is to manage Charlton one day...
    I heard him telling Pratley the same. Said he’d turned down playing contracts elsewhere because he sees his future at Charlton. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I personally think if Bows doesn't get the contract he wants at Charlton, he'll shrug his shoulders, and go back to running his lake in France...

He's made it abundantly clear, on numerous occasions, to anyone that would listen, that he never really wanted to get into management anyway.

And he won't have anywhere near the same level of goodwill if he went to Derby. Leeds are, in my opinion, the only club that would be a conundrum for him, IF they ever came calling.

And, I'm utterly convinced that Jacko will go NOWHERE. He told me a few years ago that his ambition is to manage Charlton one day...
    I heard him telling Pratley the same. Said he’d turned down playing contracts elsewhere because he sees his future at Charlton. 
    Playing contracts ?
  • Jackson wouldn’t be able to take us on “a journey “ because his legs have gone.
  • I genuinely don’t think Bowyer will leave Charlton unless Duchatelet does something to make it impossible for him to stay. I think Lee is a very interesting character and I get the feeling that he sees “the journey” as real and will want to go on it for as far as the road takes him. I think he has the useful knack of being able to reframe negativity into positives. It’s rubbed off on his players and staff and it’s rubbing off on us fans too. I’m sure, now he has the taste will want to manage at the highest level he can but I don’t see him seeing Charlton as just a stepping stone to the next job. 

I don't think we will have the resources to seriously impact the Championship but we mustn’t underestimate impetus and team spirit. Millwall two seasons ago frightened the crap out of us all when they ultimately fell short of the play offs and finished a creditable eighth with a squad only tweaked from the Wembley winners. It’s possible to do very well and I’m saying up front I think Bowyer is a better manager than Harris. The fans are onside and fully behind Lee Bowyers “journey” and The Valley is a tough place for teams to come when it’s rocking. I can see us fans getting right behind LB this season. I can’t imagine a scenario where we start to get on the players or Bowyers back. He has us firmly as the 12th man. Duchatelet is an irrelevance to the club. Charlton has got in just a short 18 month Bowyer era its heart, soul and fans back together. Sell the club Duchatelet. You are an embarrassment to yourself and we laugh at you.

COYR

The clue is in the first line. Duchatelet did not want promotion. I don't believe he gives a monkey's if Bowyer stays or not. He is not interested in Charlton as a football club and 'doesn't care what league Charlton play in' - I have paraphrased his own  words.
  • JamesSeed said:
    I personally think if Bows doesn't get the contract he wants at Charlton, he'll shrug his shoulders, and go back to running his lake in France...

Playing contracts ?
    Yes. Various clubs wanted him as a player, just as he was hanging up his boots here.
  • Lee Bowyer said himself a few weeks ago, "I'm building something here. I want to see the job done".

I take heart from that.

But then there's the actions of the unpredictable unstable owner to factor in.

• Sponsored links:

• The Daily Mail says Derby "appear to be preparing for life after Lampard" and adds that the Rams have made "discreet enquiries" about Bowyer, who guided Charlton Athletic to promotion to the Championship this season.

But Derbyshire Live understands the Rams are not talking to or checking on other managers, and that Lampard is pushing on with plans for next season at Derby.

• The Daily Mail says Derby "appear to be preparing for life after Lampard" and adds that the Rams have made "discreet enquiries" about Bowyer, who guided Charlton Athletic to promotion to the Championship this season.

But Derbyshire Live understands the Rams are not talking to or checking on other managers, and that Lampard is pushing on with plans for next season at Derby.

Not particularly discreet if it’s in the papers!
  • West Brom as well apparently want to interview our Lee.
  • se9addick said:
    He’s going to be linked with every job going outside the Premier League all the time he’s not got a contract. People who think he’ll stay with us through some sort of notion of loyalty are mad. He’ll stay with us if a) he gets a contact that he thinks is fair, b) he gets some agreement over the budget that he’ll have to work with, and, c) he doesn’t get an offer which comes with a better a) and/or b) from elsewhere. 
    Unfortunately  this 
  • Extremely worrying.

What logical reason is there for any owner of a football club not wanting to retain the services of a manager who has just won promotion ?

• Excellent article @cabbles

Let’s hope that negotiations are in progress behind the scenes with Lee Bowyer and his representatives. Duchatelet’s litany of stupidity over the last 5 plus years is endless but letting Bowyer slip through the club’s fingers would really take the biscuit.

Get a move on you penny-pinching cretin !
  • He has been speaking to WBA, according to talksport
  • Sponsored links:

• Utterly depressing. Presumably RD thinks good old Thomas D can hold the fort til Xmas. 
  • West Brom have already interviewed Bowyer. 
  • jondon76 said:
    West Brom have already interviewed Bowyer. 
    Source ? 
  • wmcf123 said:
    He has been speaking to WBA, according to talksport
    According to Talksport Charlton were as good as sold months ago. 
  • edited June 2019
    If you were Bowyer you may well talk to WBA even if you had no intention of going there. It would no doubt give you the opportunity to ask for a bigger salary, as you can be confident WBA will offer Lee more. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    He has been speaking to WBA, according to talksport
    According to Talksport Charlton were as good as sold months ago. 
    Just reporting . Some people report on love island on this forum 
  • Talk sport should be renamed talk shit. 
    I give the sun newspaper more credit than them.
    And I would only use the sun to wipe my arse. 
  • edited June 2019
    I wouldn’t have full confidence on Talksport being correct that talks have already happened.

i have over the last few weeks been relaxed about the whole situation and 100% convinced Bowyer will be our manager come August. I’m still pretty confident that will be the case, but this expected speculation with other clubs doesn’t do much for your nerves. 

I’d be absolutely devastated if Bowyer goes and I’m certain that offered a club like West Brom or Derby he will definitely take it. And I wouldn’t blame hi or feel let down in the slightest. That’s football.
  • Can anyone really blame Bowyer If he goes hes berm treated like shit imo, According to talksport West Brom have interviewed him today, no doubt their owner will treat him better than ours !
  • edited June 2019
    jondon76 said:
    West Brom have already interviewed Bowyer. 
    Spoken to or actually completed an interview?

In time honoured Charlton Life manner, I have to ask: Source?

Edit: Sorry Shooters, I see you've already asked. Posts crossed.