Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Squad List - 30th May

123457»

Comments

• edited June 2019
    He simply has to "win" - that is the issue. He won't sell unless he can walk away believing he was right all along. It's why he wants his money back.
    I don’t disagree with that Weegs and agree it’s a fundamental problem. I could argue though that those who steadfast refuse to get any enjoyment from Charlton Athletic until he is off the scene are equally trapped in a ‘must win’ mentality. I think I can see both sides and how they got to that point, but don’t think either are right personally. 
  • He simply has to "win" - that is the issue. He won't sell unless he can walk away believing he was right all along. It's why he wants his money back.
    This is my stance.
    Only when we get to the end of June, and if  he hasn't tied Bowyer down to a new contract, will we know he has a different agenda which may include revenge or spite.
    His actions or lack of action in the next few weeks may answer that question.

• N01R4M said:
    An interesting discussion, with many valid points.

As a protester - both at The Valley and in Belgium - and a contributer to actions such as contacting sponsors, the FA, the EFL and the national media, I know we have got under his skin, and has reacted by calling us names such as vinegar pissers.
    However, I have always felt his mismanagement of CAFC as a business has been entirely down to his incompetence and lack of understanding of what motivates his "customers", the fans, and has not - so far - been motivated by revenge.

I agree with @Weegie Addick that his exit strategy is governed by his ego - his need to be proved right in his original idea that football can be managed at a profit, and to be able to present himself to the other fish swimming in his small pond as a visionary genius. 

At the outset it was reported that one reason for appointing KM as CEO was his belief that women kept a tighter rein on finances.  Well, that may be true for competent women, but that is not a description anyone could apply to KM!  At some point it appears he realised her management was losing him money hand over fist, and is now clearly intent on reversing that.  Unfortunately, his ignorance of the football business, and the ways in which it differs frm selling electronic widgets, means he ends up being penny wise and pound foolish.

We can all see now is the optimum time to tie up a sale of the club, and that Bowyer & co. are a major asset of the business.  Unfortunately, RD probably lacks the knowledge to appreciate this, and even if LdT has woken up & smelt the coffee, it is possible he lacks the balls to tell Roland what's what, for fear RD will shoot (as in fire) the messenger.

So where does this leave us, the fans?

At present there is little we can do, but if we reach 1 July with RD still the owner & contracts for Bowyer & co. still unresolved, I will be surprised if fan disquiet does not rise.  If there appears to be a renewed taste for action - in England or in Belgium - there is then still time to plan protests for the new season.  

An excellent post, @N01R4M. I, unlike most, have not shared the euphoria of promotion. I went to The Valley for the first time in a good while to see the Doncaster game and didn’t feel the right things. I saw the potential of this great club, I witnessed the amazing atmosphere but I didn’t feel part of it. I didn’t go to Wembley for that reason and I’m glad I didn’t. Yes, I leapt out of my armchair when Bauer scored but the empty feeling returned quickly enough.

As a fan of 50+ years, I don’t know where we go if this promotion is a disaster. I’m not sure there is any more energy for protests unless they come straight away if things go pear-shaped. And, have the protests worked? We may have got under his skin but that’s arguably all that’s been achieved. Do I want to get under Roland’s skin? Yes, I suppose I do but I’m not overly bothered. I just want the passion and management skill that Bowyer and the squad displayed last year to be seen in the boardroom.

RD, if nothing else, can be unpredictable. Maybe, there will be a competitive squad managed by Bowyer at the beginning of August. I am a doubter, but I would love to be wrong.
  • edited June 2019
    Can somebody update the U23 section, there are several omissons I know of.
  • Goalkeepers

Dillon Philips 2021

Right Backs
    Chris Solly 2020
    Anfernee Dijksteel 2020
    Centre Backs
    Patrick Bauer 2019
    Jason Pearce 2020
    Naby Sarr 2020

Left Backs
    Lewis Page 2020

Central Midfielders 
    Joe Aribo 2019

Darren Pratley 2020
    George Lapslie 2021
    Albie Morgan Contract length not known

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers 

Strikers
    Lyle Taylor 2020
    Macauley Bonne 2022 - Signed for reported £200k from Clapton Orient on three year deal

Manager
    Lee Bowyer 2020- signed one year contract for reported £400k PA

Updated on 18 June 2019 in expectation that whenever this updated a player signs

• Bump to help force a signing through soon.
  • Scoham said:
    Bump to help force a signing through soon.
    Or an exit...if Lyle Taylor is revealed as a Palace player tomorrow, it's your fault!
  • Bonne signed from Clapton Orient ? Are you living in the past Henry? Too much time spent in that museum.
  • So 11 players if Aribo goes. 5 remaining from the Wembley starting XI. And rumours re Pratley and Dijksteel. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bonne signed from Clapton Orient ? Are you living in the past Henry? Too much time spent in that museum.
    You can never spend too long in the Museum
  • kentred2 said:
    So 11 players if Aribo goes. 5 remaining from the Wembley starting XI. And rumours re Pratley and Dijksteel. 
    What pratley rumours?
  • IR94 said:
    kentred2 said:
    So 11 players if Aribo goes. 5 remaining from the Wembley starting XI. And rumours re Pratley and Dijksteel. 
    What pratley rumours?
    Rochdale on Twitter. Rubbish I expect. 
  • What about Toby Stevenson?