Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clive Mendonca-Interview in todays Daily Mail

• Clive Mendonca scored a famous hat-trick against his beloved Sunderland
  • It came for Charlton Athletic in the 1998 Division One play-off final at Wembley
  • Charlton won on penalties after a 4-4 and death threats for Mendonca followed
  • Mendonca now lives in Sunderland, without a mobile phone or an email address
  • Aged 50, he works for Nissan and recently spoke to Sportsmail's CRAIG HOPE...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7068437/Clive-Mendonca-Wembley-hat-trick-death-threats-working-Nissan.html
A very good interview,worth reading.

Comments

• I hope he got a few quid for it

• JiMMy 85 said:

2 of 2

Then, on 85 minutes, Charlton defender Richard Rufus heads in for 3-3, and so to extra-time and a Nicky Summerbee smash for 4-3 to Sunderland. Mendonca is on his toes, as if back in 1998.

'All I'm thinking now is, "Get me the ball, I need the ball to score".' His team-mates oblige and, after that touch, swivel and volley, he scores only the second hat-trick in a Wembley final since England's Geoff Hurst in 1966.

Penalties. Mendonca is first up. 'Turn the volume up,' he instructs. 'Listen to the noise, man. That walk up towards the Sunderland end, including my own family, I've never heard owt like it. It was frightening. All I could think was, "Just put it in the f****** net".' Top corner. That took some bottle? 'Aye. Was never going anywhere else, though.'

Then, the iconic gun-slinging celebration in front of the Sunderland fans. 'I regret that. I'm a Sunderland lad. I love Sunderland. If I could go back and change one thing…

'But I'll explain the story. A trialist had got the guns out after scoring in training, just got dead excited. It was hilarious. Every time I scored, the lads said, "Get the guns out". For some reason, I did it then for the first time. I think to myself now, "Why?" It wound them up, I get that.'

After 13 successful penalties, Michael Gray, who went to the same school as Mendonca, had to score to keep Sunderland in it. We watch as he rolls it straight at goalkeeper Sasa Ilic.

'God… our lass could have saved that. You could see his body language, "I don't want to take this".'

Charlton were in the Premier League. Sunderland boss Peter Reid, who had courted Mendonca the previous summer but signed Phillips instead, approached the man of the match.

'He shook my hand but I had a point to prove to Sunderland that season. I was dying to say, "Why didn't you sign me?" My biggest regret is never playing for Sunderland. I would have loved to play up front in that team with Quinny.'

Not that the Sunderland fans showed him much love after the game: 'There were death threats, aye, and the press found out. I was gutted when the headlines were about that after I'd scored a hat-trick. I took no notice, though. I can look after myself.'

Rumour has long since had it that his mother's windows were smashed in Sunderland.

'Everyone says that, even now, but it never happened. My ma is the type of woman, if you put hers out she'd be straight round to put yours out. Our estate was pretty rough. I heard through the grapevine all sorts was gonna happen to me, but when I came back and walked into the pub, they all shook my hand.'

Mendonca and his wife went on holiday to Cyprus. 'Who do we bump into? Micky Gray! He's gone, "You're the last person I want to see!" But we had a drink and a laugh, although he said, "I had to get away from Sunderland, I just wanted to dig a hole and disappear".'

Mendonca considers the fine line between success and failure. 'It was the greatest game of my life, but if I'd missed the deciding penalty, even after the hat-trick, it would definitely have been the worst.' 

Mendonca traces the scars on his eyelid and follows the jagged wounds down to his cheek. They are a reminder of just how lucky he was to be alive to influence events in that play-off final.

A few years earlier, he and Grimsby team-mate Paul Futcher had been involved in a head-on car accident in heavy fog.

'Futch thought I was dead. I was the passenger and took the brunt of it. I was knocked out. It was horrible. There was skin hanging off the windscreen.

'You see that scar? Last year, no lies, I picked a chunk of glass out of my face. I was in some state. I was lucky to survive.'

Mendonca's entire life, it seems, has been a tale of survival. Born in London, he moved to Sunderland aged two and has not seen his dad since those early years. He then had the chance to sign for his hometown club as an apprentice.

'The best thing I ever did was get away from Sunderland at 16. My life wasn't the best growing up. My ma had to look after my sisters. I led my own life, really.

'My mates were getting locked up. I was with our lass even then and she was dead upset, but I told her we'd be together, I just needed to get away, so I signed for Sheffield United.'

There were spells at Doncaster, Rotherham and Grimsby before signing for Charlton under Alan Curbishley for a club-record £700,000 in 1997.

'I knew nowt about London. Curbs picked me up and drove me around. He said, "This is Chigwell". Me and our lass loved Birds of a Feather. So I said, "Where do Sharon and Tracey live?" He couldn't stop laughing. '

It was at Charlton that Mendonca learned that his uncle, Ivor Mendonca, was a famous West Indies wicket keeper.

'A letter came in asking for his autograph. I was like, "Eh?" I never had contact with my dad, so didn't have a clue. I asked my ma and she said, "Ah yeah, your dad's brother was quite good at cricket!" This fella who wrote the letter said he couldn't find him, so my uncle sounds a bit like me!'

Mendonca scored 28 times in that promotion season and netted another hat-trick in the first-ever Premier League match at The Valley during a 5-0 win over Southampton.

It is why, in a BBC poll in 2004, he was voted Charlton's No 1 cult hero. He won the same honour with Grimsby, the only player to do so with two clubs. Charlton, though, were relegated and Mendonca later retired aged 32 because of a hip injury.

'I had to accept it, but I wish I'd looked after my money. It's hard, going from Wembley to a production line. But that was my fault, I've just got to get on with it.'

We are now taking a walk around Sunderland's iconic Penshaw Monument. So, what does all of this feel like, revisiting the past?

'I never get interviewed, I always keep it to myself. I never watch my goals and there's nothing of football in the house. I just think it's my past life.

'But this, it has stirred the emotions. I'm proud, really proud. That game was my defining moment, all them years of working hard, God repaid me that day. It was just unfortunate for me it was against Sunderland!' 

End

Thanks Jimmy.
    Fascinating read that.
  • Love the bit about him meeting Michael Gray on holiday
  • McBobbin said:
    Love the bit about him meeting Michael Gray on holiday
    Amazing coincidence 
  • Sponsored links:

• The classiest finisher we've ever had the pleasure to see.
  • I just wanna give him a cwtch xx
  • What a goal scorer he was. Alongside Kinsella they were the reason I fell in love with Charlton as a young boy. Footballs changed which is sad, these types of players are becoming less frequent. 

I think that’s the main reason this season has everyone gripped. There’s similarities with Curbs, Kinsella and Mendonca with Bowyer, Cullen and Taylor. Just hope it’s a similar result, same goals with half conceded for us would be nice! 
  • A superb interview on Valley Pass, with Olly around his house. Super Clive is a God 
  • Fantastic interview!
  • edited May 2019
    i was fortunate to meet him at the back to the valley match v portsmouth. my dad was in awe of him (as was i) and got me to take a photo of the two of them together. lovely bloke Clive who said he had no idea how much he was loved in this part of south east london. mad to think that. 
  • meldrew66 said:
    I never met Clive but felt he always came across as a bit of a troubled soul. This interview kind of reinforces that. Left me feeling a little sad to be honest that a man who has been responsible for one of the best experiences of so many of our lives is, himself, living with some regrets and a hard life. It’s a shame that he didn’t come to find a place in football like Bob Bolder and even John Humphrey did at either Grimsby or our beloved club.
    I actually find reading this interview, and the stuff the club did with him a year ago, quite difficult. I’m not sure why but it’s probably the reasons you state.
  • What a natural; had it all, bar extreme pace.  Pity his hips gave way quite soon after Wembley. 
  • Also met him at the Back ro The Valley / Legends game. He was quite overcome by his reception. Had finished night shift, travelled down, took a winning penalty in front of the adoring Covered End then straight back to NE and the factory. It's good to see his story reaching a wider audience. Agree it is all quite poignant.
  • Sponsored links:

• I just wanna give him a cwtch xx
    Mmmm Tiny Rebel - that's one for the beer thread.
  • Always thought it a curio that we signed Mendonca and they signed Kevin Phillips. Both great strikers, it just would have been more obvious if it had been the other way round!
  • bobmunro said:
    valleyfan said:

Be nice if there were a few “Super Clive” chants tomorrow in honour of Clive and to wind up Sunderland! 
    I have no doubt that chant will be heard on many occasions tomorrow.
    i shall start several of my slow downed version of the song tomorrow. sssssooooooouuuuuppppperrrr, suuuuuppppppppeeeeerrrr Clllliiiivvvvvveeeee!! 
  • Greatest hat trick at Wembley in my opinion, but Geoff Hurst didn’t agree when I suggested it
    He wouldn’t, today’s VAR wouldn’t have given it.
  • Greatest hat trick at Wembley in my opinion, but Geoff Hurst didn’t agree when I suggested it
    He wouldn’t, today’s VAR wouldn’t have given it.
    Very true