Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bigger Game Than 1998????

DA9DA9
edited May 2019 in General Charlton
IMO

Purely because a loss is potentially devastating to our squad, who goes and who stays, and, more importantly, keeping hold of Bowyer, could set us back years......again.
We were a relatively stable club 1998, and the premier money then was nowhere near as lucrative, even in percentage/inflation terms compared to today,  promotion to the championship is key to keeping most of our squad, and LB, far more important than money.

Comments

• Options
    I don’t agree. As has been said, the squad will be ripped apart regardless of promotion.
    Aribo, Bauer, and the loanees will all be off. 
    If Ilic hadn’t saved that pen and Sunderland had won in 98 then Clive and co would have been snapped up. That was our moment to get into the big time and it gave us a decade of success.
    League One is such a pony League I’d back us to get out next season even with a squad rebuild. 
  • Options
    If we win, there is a chance we can keep most or all together. If we lose, absolutely no chance. Is it more important - I would say possibly not. 98 was for a place in the Premiership and set up the successful Curbishley years that followed. The caviat I would place on it is whether going up helps us get a new owner or not. If it does, it will be vitally important for the future of our club.
  • Options
    I agree with @DA9

i believe wholeheartedly that the team In 98 was that good we would’ve gone up the following year anyway 

this game should we lose could see us in lge 2 

• Options
    I still think that the win in 1998 was a bonus that came out of the blue,although we did have a very good team.This time,the play offs were the least we should have expected,and I certainly feel that promotion is essential ,as another team rebuilding process will take years,and even diehards like myself may lose their enthusiasm for the continual struggle that seems to Charlton.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    IMO, win or lose, our squad will be decimated. Aribo, Bauer, Cullen, Bielik, Igor etc will be gone next year. Unless Duchatelet sells, I reckon Bowyer and his team will be gone and if he gets a half decent offer for Taylor, he'll be gone. The key to keeping our squad together is Duchatelet selling up. 
    Spot on. That horrible git will not strengthen the squad, our only hope of staying up if we get promotion is if (big if) Bow and Jacko stay and they manage to cobble together a good team of cast offs from other clubs who are motivated by the lure of a higher league. Possible, but not likely.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully a good day on Sunday. Regardless of the result we're f***ed next season if RD is in charge next season as we'll have no players.
  • Options
    Similarities there then.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    It’s really difficult to compare. Football feels like it is in a completely different era to 1998. The stakes are different, the environment is different and the cost/benefit for Charlton winning or losing is completely different.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    IMO, win or lose, our squad will be decimated. Aribo, Bauer, Cullen, Bielik, Igor etc will be gone next year. Unless Duchatelet sells, I reckon Bowyer and his team will be gone and if he gets a half decent offer for Taylor, he'll be gone. The key to keeping our squad together is Duchatelet selling up. 
    That's the spirit ! FFS
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    it’s league one even when we have had skint ish owners we could get out of it 

getting out of the championship when we did is why we had the chance to have 25k the other night 

if we had failed in 1998 the ground would still have a capacity of 20k ish .

the potential for some follow through goodwill is there with promotion but I think that will still be there if we stay down and championship or league one it will depend how well we perform on the pitch next season and that comes back to who will be managing / playing for us and the biggest determiner of that is that twat owner 

so no 1998 was where our dreams came true when top flight football returned to The Valley for the first time in 40 ish years 

the result Sunday is important but not as important to me as 1998 
    what is important is the old codger slinging his hook and who knows what is best for that with the lunatic 
    Edit. Tut, tut. Red card for me, was at Selhurst. Oh the shame
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Whilst I agree with this, it ignores that RD is more likely to go if we go up and our chances of keeping many players increases
  • Options
    Big game, understand the original post and it's context but '98 changed the history of the club. I don't think any game will ever top that for us.
    Quite possible Sunday will have a big impact on our history......
  • Options
    I agree with @DA9

i believe wholeheartedly that the team In 98 was that good we would’ve gone up the following year anyway 

It could yes and if we win we could be in The Prem a year later.
    The reality is either option is about 1% likely. 
  • Options
    Blood hell, how come this thread is attracting negative people ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You make me laugh CE , if bowyer is gone Tuesday you'll be the first to want to get a coach out to belgium
  • Options
    What are they calling the Championship play off these days? The £850 billion game? Seems to double every year. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I agree with @DA9

Not according to Curbishley. His view was that if we didn’t go up that day the team was likely to be broken up and it would’ve been tough for us to follow up the next season. 
    Yes, the club spent money it didn't really have that season, first with Super Clive at the start, and then bringing in Mills and Youds in the spring. We definitely would have had to sell players in the summer, and it's possible the likes of Super Clive and Kinsella would have been targeted by PL teams anyway (akin to how we signed Jensen from Bolton after we went up and they didn't a couple of years later)
  • Options
    Because most of us have been following the adventures of Duchatalet, and as Addicks we are pragmatists and realists mate... :/  
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    You make me laugh CE , if bowyer is gone Tuesday you'll be the first to want to get a coach out to belgium
    I have every confidence Bowyer & Jacko will stay.

I may be wrong, but I thought the same last summer, when many were saying he'd be gone, we'd have no players and Charlton would be fighting relegation.

I backed us to make the play offs.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I may be wrong, but I thought the same last summer, when many were saying he'd be gone, we'd have no players and Charlton would be fighting relegation.

We didn't have a load of players out of contract last season
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Will be a bigger crowd and a record for league 1.

Man City v Gillingham was the previous highest with 76k. Surprising that’s not been beaten for 20 years.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

I think we did. How come we could only put 5 on the bench v Sunderland first game & most of them were kids ?
    Can't we at least try and be a bit happy for 3 more days ?
  • Options
    This is bigger, the consequences of not going up are huge. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

I think we did. How come we could only put 5 on the bench v Sunderland first game & most of them were kids ?
    Can't we at least try and be a bit happy for 3 more days ?
    Not me mate I'd find something to moan about if we'd just done the treble in the premiership